Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Sep 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #17,791 of 18,459
It could also be your ears, if you are enjoying one pair more than another.  I find if my ears are rested and I have absolutely no congestion at all everything sounds absolutely amazing.  This is not head-fi, but hearing-fi.

Listen to too much music and things might start to drone out a little or mesh.  Its best you rest your ears often to get maximum enjoyment out of any sound of the musical nature.

It is worst with speakers as when your peripheral hearing is not working 100% its very very noticeable with directional speakers.

I traded off my Concerto + Cash for a lyr(GE tubes coming in) so if there is any beneficial differences I will be able to note something.  Still a stepping stone till I am in better financial standing to grab a Taboo(even if I am not very happy with their support staff as my e-mail was never answered).

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #17,792 of 18,459
Hi ninjikiran, I'm waiting for your comparisons between Concerto and Lyr, though they are different in essence [solid state and hybrid]....

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #17,793 of 18,459
Some suggestion about communicating with Decware.  They are really not so good (to put it politely) returning mail and Steve (the owner) explains why.  He has too many emails and hardly enough time to reply.  But if you call them and as for Steve.  He will answer your question personally.  How is that! 
wink.gif

Quote:
...  Still a stepping stone till I am in better financial standing to grab a Taboo(even if I am not very happy with their support staff as my e-mail was never answered).

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #17,794 of 18,459
J,

You made the right decision.  I was just lurking here a bit.  BTW-Cavalli Liquid Fire w/the LC's is incredible.

Quote:
I hope I made the right decision to sell the r1 and get the r2.  I really need to stay away from this forum.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #17,795 of 18,459
You guys should really get the Leben. I don't think any of the Lyr or Shiit thing does justice to the LCD2.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #17,798 of 18,459
Stocking both the rev. 1 and rev. 2 (and enjoying both just for the heck of it), I just unsubsribed to this thread. Happy posting, and don't forget to actually listen to your LCD-2 (regardless of rev, burn-in, brain, headphone, professional, enthusiast, source, graph, cable, source, amplifier, oil, CPR, and-what-have-you-not). Have fun listening. :) See you all next year. Or, the one of you that stock the LCD-2 regardless of rev, burn-in, brain, headphone, professional, enthusiast, source, graph, cable, source, amplifier, oil, CPR, and-what-have-you-not.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #17,799 of 18,459
To answer your question, Warrior Ant, the most appealing thing about the LCD-2 is that it does nothing poorly.  It is quite possibly the smoothest headphone I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.  It doesn't have the impact of my D7000s, but it's like cold espresso versus warm cappucino.  The Denons seem harsh by comparison.  This was most evident listening to "Slam" by Pendulum - which I recommend as a test song for the entire spectrum on any system - the bass on the Denons was more present, but it seemed as if it were forced and a bit 'bumpy'.  The soundstage and transparency on the LCD-2s is just a completely different beast from anything I've heard.  I had a pair of Dt990s on hand to compare, and the LCD-2s blew them away.  I noticed that stridency in the upper frequencies mentioned a few pages back, but the Denons still sounded harsh by comparison.  My problem in choosing what headphones stays - as I am not keeping both, no matter what - is that both of these headphones are extremely good.  I went through my entire test track list, and there is nothing either headphone does poorly.  I've only listened to the LCD-2s for a few hours at most, but I can say they are definitely a step in the right direction for anybody who likes a smooth and chameleon headphone.  I would like it if somehow Sankar decreased the on-head dorkiness factor on these, as I believe they're measuring in at least 40 megasheldons.  I have nothing negative to say about the LCD-2s, excluding the ridiculous factor and how difficult they are to assess upon first listen.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #17,800 of 18,459
     Quote:
I'm really not liking the ADZ-5 cable much. My newly acquired LCD-2 rev1 sounds noticably muddier and more congested than the Norse-cabled rev1 I borrowed some weeks ago.

I'm going to try out the ADZ-6 and see if that yields any improvement. If not, I might just have to suck it up and buy an aftermarket cable.

I found the stock-cabled rev2/HA-160D combo too muddy for my preference; the ALO Reference 8 silver / copper I tried with the rev2/HA-160D combo made recordings sound clearer and brighter, whilst still adding a touch of warmth from the Burson. I really liked the sound of the rev2/ALO Ref 8/HA-160D combo.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #17,801 of 18,459
"At least 40 megasheldons" huh?

That's not what I'm getting, I might have to re-calibrate my dork-o-meter lol.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #17,802 of 18,459

Quote:
"At least 40 megasheldons" huh?

That's not what I'm getting, I might have to re-calibrate my dork-o-meter lol.

Well, give or take a few milisheldons, but it's certainly not off by any decasheldons.  There are usually dorkoscope (they're more precise) calibration centers in most major population centers.  I would recommend you get a certified calibrator, as an amateur can increase the disparity by a few sheldons.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #17,803 of 18,459
Back home after a general-anaesthetic operation and listening to the music with LCD-2 rev2 with 'fresh' ears. All I'm going to say that is that these headphones are great. 

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #17,804 of 18,459
Cavalli Liquid Fire.  It will eat those other amps up and spit them out!

Quote:
You guys should really get the Leben. I don't think any of the Lyr or Shiit thing does justice to the LCD2.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #17,805 of 18,459
I would buy the Leben, but it's more than triple the cost of my LCD-2s and almost 10x the cost of my Nuforce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back