Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Sep 9, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #17,806 of 18,459
Quote:
To answer your question, Warrior Ant, the most appealing thing about the LCD-2 is that it does nothing poorly.  It is quite possibly the smoothest headphone I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.  It doesn't have the impact of my D7000s, but it's like cold espresso versus warm cappucino.  The Denons seem harsh by comparison.  This was most evident listening to "Slam" by Pendulum - which I recommend as a test song for the entire spectrum on any system - the bass on the Denons was more present, but it seemed as if it were forced and a bit 'bumpy'.  The soundstage and transparency on the LCD-2s is just a completely different beast from anything I've heard.  I had a pair of Dt990s on hand to compare, and the LCD-2s blew them away.  I noticed that stridency in the upper frequencies mentioned a few pages back, but the Denons still sounded harsh by comparison.  My problem in choosing what headphones stays - as I am not keeping both, no matter what - is that both of these headphones are extremely good.  I went through my entire test track list, and there is nothing either headphone does poorly.  I've only listened to the LCD-2s for a few hours at most, but I can say they are definitely a step in the right direction for anybody who likes a smooth and chameleon headphone.  I would like it if somehow Sankar decreased the on-head dorkiness factor on these, as I believe they're measuring in at least 40 megasheldons.  I have nothing negative to say about the LCD-2s, excluding the ridiculous factor and how difficult they are to assess upon first listen.

I'm assuming you're pitting rev1 vs rev2? What cable are you using with them?

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #17,807 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm assuming you're pitting rev1 vs rev2? What cable are you using with them?

I do not have the funds to compare the Rev1 and the Rev2s, nor will I until the Spring.  I am comparing the LCD-2s to my Denon AH-D7000s, which since the beginning of January have given me unrelenting audio bliss.  I have no faith in cables, so I just use the stock.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #17,809 of 18,459

Quote:
To answer your question, Warrior Ant, the most appealing thing about the LCD-2 is that it does nothing poorly.  It is quite possibly the smoothest headphone I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.  It doesn't have the impact of my D7000s, but it's like cold espresso versus warm cappucino.  The Denons seem harsh by comparison.  This was most evident listening to "Slam" by Pendulum - which I recommend as a test song for the entire spectrum on any system - the bass on the Denons was more present, but it seemed as if it were forced and a bit 'bumpy'.  The soundstage and transparency on the LCD-2s is just a completely different beast from anything I've heard.  I had a pair of Dt990s on hand to compare, and the LCD-2s blew them away.  I noticed that stridency in the upper frequencies mentioned a few pages back, but the Denons still sounded harsh by comparison.  My problem in choosing what headphones stays - as I am not keeping both, no matter what - is that both of these headphones are extremely good.  I went through my entire test track list, and there is nothing either headphone does poorly.  I've only listened to the LCD-2s for a few hours at most, but I can say they are definitely a step in the right direction for anybody who likes a smooth and chameleon headphone.  I would like it if somehow Sankar decreased the on-head dorkiness factor on these, as I believe they're measuring in at least 40 megasheldons.  I have nothing negative to say about the LCD-2s, excluding the ridiculous factor and how difficult they are to assess upon first listen.

Do they fit over your bear ears?   any intentions in upgrading your amp and source at any point?

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #17,810 of 18,459

Quote:
My cavalli CHT doesn't do my LCD2 justice in terms of soundstaging.  I may want to upgrade to something like the famed lyr but am worried the difference between the cavalli and it won't be enough to justify the price.  Any chance anyone can sway me or provide some incite between the two?

"Sachu" has been a great help to me with anything ortho in the past - i asked him a while back what his recommendations were as he had been the one to recommend the CTH with my old thunderpants, and boy was he right.   He told me the CTH was not a great match, but the cavalli EHHA, or Stacker II were great choices.    Knowing his expertise, and knowing that cavalli amps typically perform well above their price ranges, you may want to look in that directoin.

here's what he said:

an EHHA  with TOshiba 2SA968/2SC2238 output devices biased to 125mA, 
Telefunken or Valvo 6GM8s.
Alternative would be a B22 if you are looking for a Solid state. Or better yet, pick up the Stacker 2 (equus was selling one at the time)

the stacker is still for sale though its a bit more costly than a CTH - http://www.head-fi.org/t/569669/cavalli-audio-stacker-ii-hybrid-amplifier

also this might be worth a read -

Triple Schiit: Asgard, Valhalla, and Lyr

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #17,812 of 18,459

Quote:

"Sachu" has been a great help to me with anything ortho in the past - i asked him a while back what his recommendations were as he had been the one to recommend the CTH with my old thunderpants, and boy was he right.   He told me the CTH was not a great match, but the cavalli EHHA, or Stacker II were great choices.    Knowing his expertise, and knowing that cavalli amps typically perform well above their price ranges, you may want to look in that directoin.

here's what he said:

an EHHA  with TOshiba 2SA968/2SC2238 output devices biased to 125mA, 
Telefunken or Valvo 6GM8s.
Alternative would be a B22 if you are looking for a Solid state. Or better yet, pick up the Stacker 2 (equus was selling one at the time)

the stacker is still for sale though its a bit more costly than a CTH - http://www.head-fi.org/t/569669/cavalli-audio-stacker-ii-hybrid-amplifier

also this might be worth a read -

Triple Schiit: Asgard, Valhalla, and Lyr

Yea, I think the CHT is really nice, but just doesn't mesh with the LCD2 to my ears

Sep 9, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #17,813 of 18,459
Quote:
Did you get a fresh ears operation?

LOL! Not quite, it was those Q-Audio implants you posted on page 65 of the LCD-2 Aftermarket Cable thread, and they may need to 'burn-in'... 
wink_face.gif

I was actually just getting a small piece of glass removed from my hand that had been in there for a few years. I had an interesting out-of-body experience too before awakening more fully again, but that's another story.

Back to the LCD-2, and I definitely found that listening to music via them with a relaxed mind and the Lavry DA10 really beautiful experience. 
o2smile.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #17,814 of 18,459

Quote:
Do they fit over your bear ears?   any intentions in upgrading your amp and source at any point?

They are some of the tightest pair of headphones I've ever worn, excluding my m50s.  I have to wear it one click from full extension.  I am surprised at how snug a fit they are, especially for open headphones.  I am going to wait on a source/amp upgrade until after I have a meet with a friend and an audiophile friend of his where I can test the LCD-2s with multiple sources and the eponymous Lyr.  I've looked a lot at the 'amp recommendations' thread, and I'm sure that if I like the Lyr I'll be getting that to boost the power chain.  At this juncture, I don't have enough information on DACs that have good synergy with the LCD-2 to drop a significant amount of cash.  In any case, if I do decide that the LCD-2s are the ones to stay and are good enough to warrant an upgrade in other parts of the chain, I'll be using the cash from the D7000 sale to get a Lyr.  Maybe this Spring I'll get a sexier DAC, but that will have to wait until I've formed more concrete ideas about the LCD-2s and their needs.  I still need to continue my Denon to LCD-2 comparison, because as I said these new cans are wonderful but different in presentation.  Both of them have a lot of strengths, but the biggest selling point for the LCD-2 is naturalness, transparency and soundstaging.  I don't think I've ever heard such a natural pair of cans before, and I'm starting to understand why so many people relish owning a pair.  No matter my decision, I want to be sure that the sacrifices I'm making are minuscule compared to the gains of what headphone stays.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #17,815 of 18,459
dagothur...try an HRT MSii+ USB DAC with the LCD2's.....I upgraded from a MSii and was amazed at how nice this pair is with a el cheopo set of matched EH6922's.
The tonality is FIRST CLASS. At a price that doesnt break the bank....I have stopped looking and am back to just listening all over again!

All the best
Alex

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #17,816 of 18,459
This is going to sound pretty weird, but if anyone has the ORIGINAL, very first version of the LCD-2 Cable (yes, the ultra stiff Garden hose version) that you're willing to sell off, please give me a shout via PM...

This version.  Thought I'd post here since I doubt  many people would be browsing the Cable FS forum looking to sell this off...

And yes, its complicated but I have a need for this specific inferior version of the cable ATM...

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #17,817 of 18,459

Quote:
dagothur...try an HRT MSii+ USB DAC with the LCD2's.....I upgraded from a MSii and was amazed at how nice this pair is with a el cheopo set of matched EH6922's.
The tonality is FIRST CLASS. At a price that doesnt break the bank....I have stopped looking and am back to just listening all over again!

All the best
Alex

I already have a very good DAC in the Nuforce.  The first thing I'd be looking for at this point is adding a Lyr to drive them better.

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #17,818 of 18,459

Quote:
 But just as warning the sound science crowd doesn't take kindly to a lack of physical evidence when stating your case so load your guns.

WA - Don't waste your time there.  It is time far better spent listening to music.  Actually, that I think of it, it'd be better spent watching grass grow, so if that's an option, choose the grass.  If there's no grass in that desert you live in then alternatively you can watch the paint peel instead of wasting time posting and arguing in Sound Science. 

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #17,819 of 18,459

Quote:
  They are some of the tightest pair of headphones I've ever worn, excluding my m50s.  I have to wear it one click from full extension.  I am surprised at how snug a fit they are, especially for open headphones.  I am going to wait on a source/amp upgrade until after I have a meet with a friend and an audiophile friend of his where I can test the LCD-2s with multiple sources and the eponymous Lyr.  I've looked a lot at the 'amp recommendations' thread, and I'm sure that if I like the Lyr I'll be getting that to boost the power chain.  At this juncture, I don't have enough information on DACs that have good synergy with the LCD-2 to drop a significant amount of cash.  In any case, if I do decide that the LCD-2s are the ones to stay and are good enough to warrant an upgrade in other parts of the chain, I'll be using the cash from the D7000 sale to get a Lyr.  Maybe this Spring I'll get a sexier DAC, but that will have to wait until I've formed more concrete ideas about the LCD-2s and their needs.  I still need to continue my Denon to LCD-2 comparison, because as I said these new cans are wonderful but different in presentation.  Both of them have a lot of strengths, but the biggest selling point for the LCD-2 is naturalness, transparency and soundstaging.  I don't think I've ever heard such a natural pair of cans before, and I'm starting to understand why so many people relish owning a pair.  No matter my decision, I want to be sure that the sacrifices I'm making are minuscule compared to the gains of what headphone stays.

Sometimes I take the LCD's and press them gently closer to my head then release the pressure and I can feel the seal moving air and changing the pressure in my ear canals.  

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #17,820 of 18,459

Quote:
Sometimes I take the LCD's and press them gently closer to my head then release the pressure and I can feel the seal moving air and changing the pressure in my ear canals.  

It makes an awful noise when I do that.  Like my ear canals are filled with glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back