Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 3, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #13,036 of 18,459
Sounds like the feel they still sound roughly the same but "better" the way I read it. Can certainly understand the frustration with all suddenly having a lesser version of the same headphone. Having a goldpoint headphone pro amp that was V1 when I got it and last time I checked up at V12. No idea what revision it´s up to now :)

I was expecting LCD-3 anyday anyway. My LCD-2 sound so good anyway so doesn´t really itch my wallet. Soundstaging and bass extension could be improved yes. The former I doubt they will be able to get up to the better dynamics anyway. The later dunno how much better you can get then the HD 800 in the sub bass department :)

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #13,037 of 18,459
Eagerly waiting for the SQ comparisons (between the LCD-2 and the LCD-2 with the new Rev2 Driver - Audez’e own moniker) by headfier’s with deeper wallets than mine :¬)

But let’s face it, marketing wise, it is bad to change a wining formula. And outside of head-fi and other top tier audio circles, the LCD-2s haven’t changed – even though they have changed a bit over time. For Mr and Mrs Everybody, they look identical now as they did a year and half ago because they would never have an old pair and a new one on hand to compare them (and even then they probably wouldn’t see the grill, block and pad changes anyways)... So all the LCD-2s must all be/sound the same, right?

Audez’e are probably banking on the fact that they have built a valuable brand over time (with all the press talk and the reputation that has snowballed over time) and they seem to really want to avoid to diminish the LCD-2’s brand strength and recognition.

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #13,038 of 18,459
Are there any photos available of the leather headband? Do I need to order the kit to install it? I probably should ask directly. I will actually though I would not expect a response over the holiday.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #13,041 of 18,459
A few quick questions from an LCD-2 newb:

Can you run the LCD-2s well by using a speaker amp? And if so, how? I keep searching but can't find any specifics, so I figured I'd quickly ask. Thanks!

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #13,042 of 18,459
My March 2011 LCD-2's still sound excellent. On another forum I drew the analogy with listening to a ribbon mic - deep bass, natural midrange and mellow top end. I love the sound of the classic LCD-2's.

If Audeze have made an even better version, very good for them and everyone who buys a pair! I am thinking of the replacement leather headband every time I wring some sweat out of the bare foam.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #13,043 of 18,459

Can you run the LCD-2s well by using a speaker amp? And if so, how? I keep searching but can't find any specifics, so I figured I'd quickly ask. Thanks!

searchthreadfunc.jpg

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #13,044 of 18,459
Quote:
thank you for reposting that. I notice that Tyll's second pairs serial number is very close to mine, his is SN 5312123. My pair are 5312350

Quote:
My serial number is 5312331 replaced in Mid may.  Sent an email no reply yet.  

5312404 here. Email sent to Audeze :¬)

Jul 3, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #13,045 of 18,459
Yes you can providing you check the amp can handle this and then make up a reliable cable. Do this a t your own risk. If in doubt use its headphone socket or get a proper headphone amp.

The speaker amp must be able to feed into the much lower load of 50 Ohms rather than the normal 8 or thereabouts. If it's a valve amp or a temperamental solid state amp, you'd need to have an appropriately rated dummy resistor or soak in parallel with the LCD-2's to turn 30+ Watts into heat. Also worth remembering that the current flow is much lower into 50 than 8 Ohms, a 30 Watt speaker amp flat out (ouch!)will give about 5 Watts into 50 Ohms.

Vital to confirm how the amplifier's "negative" output sockets are connected, get an engineer to check the schematic and/or test readings. If both "-" are grounded to the amp's earth you could just connect to one of them and then a stereo jack connection to the phone will work. If they are floating be very careful because connecting the two "-" terminals together will damage the amplifier just as connecting the two "+" together.

Assuning the "-" are both grounded at the amp you would need a well made lead that has spades or banana plugs at one end and a good quality stero jack socket at the other. I would use good quality speaker cable, probably a biwire cable. The left "+" goes to the tip, right "+" to the ring, and common ground to the sleeve. Vital there are no shorts in connections or risk of shorting in use.

And finally I must note that a well designed headphone amp will give the power needed in 32 - 50 Ohm (and higher) loads and the low distortion needed when the sound is going straight into your ears.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #13,048 of 18,459
So now we have an LCD-2 Classic and LCD-2 upgraded driver? They should have at least changed the wood color to differentiate between the two models....this is all going to get very confusing. I just got mine in May..I think when Audeze releases an LCD-3 then I'll buy it and keep my Classics. After all, is the Classic not the very same headphone that everyone loved? I can see it now....the Classic version LCD-2 is going to be very sought after soon...

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #13,049 of 18,459
So now we have an LCD-2 Classic and LCD-2 upgraded driver? They should have at least changed the wood color to differentiate between the two models....this is all going to get very confusing. I just got mine in May..I think when Audeze releases an LCD-3 then I'll buy it and keep my Classics. After all, is the Classic not the very same headphone that everyone loved? I can see it now....the Classic version LCD-2 is going to be very sought after soon...

I agree, whatever driver it turns out I have I love the sound of my replacement pair. Listening to Loreenna Mckennitt as I type and it is simply sublime.
Everything is there that I could ever ask of a headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back