Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 4, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #13,052 of 18,459
Did they give you the new leather headband in the replacement pair and if so, how much more comfortable is it?

No, I got mine at just before the middle of June so no leather. Not a problem for me as I have worn these for hours on end with no discomfort and I actually prefer the look of the metal and foam over the leather. I was just checking my graphs again and against Tyll's. Now I am useless at reading stuff like this but it is remarkable how the shapes appear (to me very similar) with mine and his first and second pairs.

To refresh here are both. First up is the pair I had to send back and second the latest pair, Tyll if you can enlighten that would be great, Or anyone else who might know how to read these.

New pair.

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #13,053 of 18,459

Quote:
I have a Rev 2 model on order (and will likely order another).  (I own two Rev 1 models now.)  I'm very much looking forward to hearing the differences, particularly in light of how Audeze is describing it here.

And so the mighty Jude descends from high Gallifrey to bring us his kind wisdom.

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #13,054 of 18,459
I have a Rev 2 model on order (and will likely order another).  (I own two Rev 1 models now.)  I'm very much looking forward to hearing the differences, particularly in light of how Audeze is describing it here.

It will be very interesting to hear your thoughts on the Rev 2 model in comparison to the latest Stax model you think so highly of, I am looking forward to that!

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #13,055 of 18,459
I've known this from watching your videos, but never got to ask...  Why do you own 2 LCD-2s?  And why do you plan to purchase two of the Rev. 2 models?  Is this something you do with all of your headphones?  I'm genuinely curious
normal_smile .gif

Definitely looking forward to your impressions of the new drivers!

Quote:

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #13,056 of 18,459

Quote:
And so the mighty Jude descends from high Gallifrey to bring us his kind wisdom.

If you're going to address me by my title, please at least get it right.  It's groovy not mighty.

wink.gif

Quote:
I've known this from watching your videos, but never got to ask...  Why do you own 2 LCD-2s?  And why do you plan to purchase two of the Rev. 2 models?  Is this something you do with all of your headphones?  I'm genuinely curious
normal_smile%20.gif

Definitely looking forward to your impressions of the new drivers!

Good question(s).  I love the Sennheiser HD 800 and HiFiMAN HE-6, but they're not as flexible (in terms of rigs I can use them with) as the LCD-2, so I don't feel as much need to move them around.  (The rigs I've built for the HD 800 and HE-6 don't move (except for meets), so those headphones stay relatively put.)  Its relative ease of driving makes the LCD-2 a headphone I can use with most of my systems.

The LCD-2 is, however, rather heavy (as are the other top-tier planars).  Already, I carry my office with me almost everywhere I go, as well as at least one portable rig, all in an overstuffed huge, expandable backpack or gigantic messenger bag, so part of the reason is weight savings.  Since my desktop rigs are primarily in two locations, it's nice not to have to tote a large, heavy headphone between them.

(And the above would apply to the Rev 2 as well.)

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #13,058 of 18,459
I think what bothers me most about this whole business is the following sentence: "With Rev.2 we are addressing concerns of many customers who feel that original LCD2 has darker high frequency signature than many top of the line headphones."

What customers are these, and why does their opinion carry more weight than that of the many very satisfied customers? For every complaint about a dark signature I read on these forums there are 3 or 4 praising the balance, so why are the nays carrying the day?

There's also an implications in the sentence that bother me, which is that Audeze feel they must fall into line behind competitors even when customers are satisfied with the present product. "Many top of the line headphones" is obviously an allusion to the HD800/T1/HE6s of the world. So what if those phones are brighter? The opinion has been expressed by a number of people, including Tyll, that most headphones are too bright, and I agree. The LCD-2 was a worthy alternative, just as in the dynamic world the HD650 is a worthy alternative to the K702/DT880 etc. There needs to be genuine alternatives, and there was. Now, going by the above description, I'm not so sure; but either way it bothers me that Audeze feel they have to run after the pack, or otherwise are so easily swayed by the opinions of certain customers who I very much doubt ever represented the majority.  

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #13,060 of 18,459
I had the first version until the driver went out then returned it and got the second version on return. My immediate reaction on hearing the first version was that it was somewhat dark. That was just the first characteristic that jumped out at me. Nothing wrong with that if you like dark, but it's not necessarily the transparent/neutral the LCD-2s are being advertised as.

The second version were a bit brighter. Not a whole different headphone than the first, but I would say it's closer to neutral than being a "bright headphone".  It still seems somewhat dark from the mids on down though, if that's even possible.

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #13,061 of 18,459
I had the first version until the driver went out then returned it and got the second version on return. My immediate reaction on hearing the first version was that it was somewhat dark. That was just the first characteristic that jumped out at me. Nothing wrong with that if you like dark, but it's not necessarily the transparent/neutral the LCD-2s are being advertised as.

The second version were a bit brighter. Not a whole different headphone than the first, but I would say it's closer to neutral than being a "bright headphone".  It still seems somewhat dark from the mids on down though, if that's even possible.

So what headphone did you have right before the LCD-2s?

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #13,062 of 18,459
I've had many headphones before the LCD-2, but it was more about the overall tonal signature. The highs were obviously a little bit lower in proportion to the rest of the signal. It wasn't a drastically dark phone, like the TMA-1 for example, but I did find myself tweaking the highs a bit on EQ to compensate. On the newer version I don't need to do that as much. It's well balanced as is. 

But also take this with a grain of salt because I probably have some amount of high frequency hearing loss after decades of "music appreciation" :wink:

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #13,063 of 18,459
Audez'e claim that the "midrange is smoother and more transparent", and that imaging in more wide and 3 dimensional with the new drivers. Did you feel any of these attributes were noticeable?

This is that part that interests me most, despite the disappointment in trying to make the overall presentation less dark.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #13,064 of 18,459

Quote:
So now we have an LCD-2 Classic and LCD-2 upgraded driver? They should have at least changed the wood color to differentiate between the two models....this is all going to get very confusing. I just got mine in May..I think when Audeze releases an LCD-3 then I'll buy it and keep my Classics. After all, is the Classic not the very same headphone that everyone loved? I can see it now....the Classic version LCD-2 is going to be very sought after soon...

The new leather headband should simplify differentiation.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #13,065 of 18,459

Quote:
No, I got mine at just before the middle of June so no leather. Not a problem for me as I have worn these for hours on end with no discomfort and I actually prefer the look of the metal and foam over the leather. I was just checking my graphs again and against Tyll's. Now I am useless at reading stuff like this but it is remarkable how the shapes appear (to me very similar) with mine and his first and second pairs.

To refresh here are both. First up is the pair I had to send back and second the latest pair, Tyll if you can enlighten that would be great, Or anyone else who might know how to read these.

New pair.

Wow, they look very similar to me within the 2khz to 10khz range... Tyll measurements do show more deviations, so now I am wondering... Anyway, this second LCD2 revision got me really interested and I am looking forward reading further comparisons between both versions (time will tell if everyone agrees on the improvements).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back