Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Feb 28, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #9,886 of 18,459

Quote:
It seems that the LCD-2 is starting to exhibit the same cracking problem as the HE-5. It must be the nature of the beast.

There are ways to stabilize wood when used thusly.  I kind of assumed they were doing that, but perhaps it would be too expensive to do so.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #9,887 of 18,459

Quote:
They are talking about the wooden case, from what it appears, not the headphone wood housing. 

I just got some Twag V2 for the LCD-2 and I am delighted (not a word I have used for audio that I remember anyway). The sound is more of everything and so open and flowing. The highs are so liquid and natural and extended. The bass is extremely well controlled, taking on a different character. Hard to describe but it vacillates in a way that a note is shown to be more than the single note but a reverberating sound changing rapidly. It reminds me of when I played bass guitar many years ago, that vibrating feel that grabs you when bass is done right ( I often read texture here but more than that). 

I agree the TWAG v2 makes a big difference to the LCD's. Had mine for over a month now.

I read on another thread that the Twag v2 takes 1000 hours to fully burn in. I had better get cracking 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #9,888 of 18,459

Quote:

I agree the TWAG v2 makes a big difference to the LCD's. Had mine for over a month now.

I read on another thread that the Twag v2 takes 1000 hours to fully burn in. I had better get cracking 
biggrin.gif

If you start writing 1000 hours, they will descend. :^)  1000 hours is a teflon cap. V caps. 

I heard 300 but you know, it sounds great now. Time will tell but this stuff makes bass like nothing I have ever heard except live and being there. The rest of the sound field is improved in all areas. I am surprised, to say the least. I really, honestly, wasn't expecting this much of a change. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #9,891 of 18,459

Quote:
They are talking about the wooden case, from what it appears, not the headphone wood housing. 

My case has also started to crack. Doesn't really bother me that much though. As long as it's not the headphone themselves...

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #9,892 of 18,459
In the House - just got these beauties with Ken's new copper/silver braided balanced cable
darthsmile.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #9,893 of 18,459

Quote:
In the House - just got these beauties with Ken's new copper/silver braided balanced cable
darthsmile.gif

Have you done any comparisons with that cable to your previous? It looks stunning. Mind if I ask how much Ken charges also? My LCD-2 should be here in 2 weeks, thinking of getting the norse cable but this one is also nice.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #9,894 of 18,459
I bought the headphones and cable at the same time from Ken at this link

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_16_118&products_id=637

The cable is a little better deal if you buy it with the headphones.  It is really stunning in person.  I don't have the stock cable to compare it to as Ken only ships with his cable.  By ordering from him I was able to side-step the 4-6 week waiting period by a considerable margin.  Can't wait to do some critical listening soon.

Quote:
Have you done any comparisons with that cable to your previous? It looks stunning. Mind if I ask how much Ken charges also? My LCD-2 should be here in 2 weeks, thinking of getting the norse cable but this one is also nice.

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #9,895 of 18,459

Quote:
I bought the headphones and cable at the same time from Ken at this link

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_16_118&products_id=637

The cable is a little better deal if you buy it with the headphones.  It is really stunning in person.  I don't have the stock cable to compare it to as Ken only ships with his cable.  By ordering from him I was able to side-step the 4-6 week waiting period by a considerable margin.  Can't wait to do some critical listening soon.

Glad you're happy with the purchase :) Mine's probably a week and a half away. Excited. Unfortunately the ALO stuff is out of my price range, but thanks for the info regardless! I've got my eyes on the Norse, very nicely priced. Awaiting Skylab's review.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #9,896 of 18,459
I picked up my LCD-2 from the FedExt office yesterday and have taken some pictures for those who might be interested to see how they are shipped in the travel case. 

So far I can say that contrary to some, I think they are anything but dark, not bright for sure but not really dark either. Well, having read this thread and waited for months I was kind of expecting them to blow me away but it didn't happen. Although there's nothing I can pin point as a problem now, I am assuming that my main problem is amplification? I am driving them through D4 as DAC and Matrix M-Stage as the main amp. I am not sure if I am not driving them properly that I have to upgrade both DAC and the amp... We'll see 

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #9,899 of 18,459

Quote:
I picked up my LCD-2 from the FedExt office yesterday and have taken some pictures for those who might be interested to see how they are shipped in the travel case. 

So far I can say that contrary to some, I think they are anything but dark, not bright for sure but not really dark either. Well, having read this thread and waited for months I was kind of expecting them to blow me away but it didn't happen. Although there's nothing I can pin point as a problem now, I am assuming that my main problem is amplification? I am driving them through D4 as DAC and Matrix M-Stage as the main amp. I am not sure if I am not driving them properly that I have to upgrade both DAC and the amp... We'll see 

I dunno...a couple hundred pages ago I mentioned that I don't think these headphones are the kind of sound signature that will really "blow away" most people, because I think it's some of the subtleties in the sound that make these special.  I mostly like them for the musicality and mids, particularly vocals, while I think it's easier to go "wow" when you hear a lot of bass thump or massive soundstaging or really precise imaging or something.  That all being said, however, having an amp that works to its strengths definitely does couldn't hurt.

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #9,900 of 18,459
Just came in the mail today.  
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back