Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 23, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #6,841 of 18,459
Well, I was going to order a Silver Dragon cable for LCD-2 very soon, but now I have to spend $500 on antigen for my daughter's new allergy shots instead.  Life gets in the way sometimes...

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #6,845 of 18,459
After spending quite a but of time with the ALO 8-wire LUX_FEP and Moon Audio Silver Dragon.  After burning in the Silver Dragon 100 hours, I decided to keep it, and sell the ALO.  I actually still slightly prefer the ALO in terms of sonics, although the Silver Dragon is excellent.  But whereas the Silver Dragon is actually an ergonomic improvement over the stock cable, the ALO is just far too heavy.  In the end I could not get past that.  Using the headphones with the ALO required me to stay sitting on the couch, and have the couch help support the weight of the cable.  Listening to the ALO standing up was simply not endurable. 

The Silver Dragon, after burn in, do seem to add just a very small amount of extra treble energy.  This is sometimes welcome, and other times, not, depending on the recording, but it was actually pretty subtle in the end (I switched back and forth between cables repeatedly to try to really assess the difference).  Some people might find this slight additional top-end sparkle to be just what the LCD-2 needed.  The difference between either and the stock cable is also relatively subtle, but meaningful enough I think to be worth the expense for some folks (it is for me), and the stock cable has some ergonomic issues of its own (such as hitting the shoulder, and being microphonic).

So while I find both the ALO and Silver Dragon to be excellent sounding aftermarket cables, I prefer the Silver Dragon in terms of the overall package.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #6,846 of 18,459

[size=medium]
So you are saying the Portapro's are actually much better than the R10's? Wow. Since we are outtrading secrets here, I have heard that the iphone buds are actually based on the HE-90, and if you plug it in directly to your iPhone 4, you will get the same sound as the Orpheus System :wink:.

I was just kidding Jamato :wink:
[/size]

Quote:
Quote:
Wow the PortaPros sound exactly like the R10? I'm gonna get some! Thanks Jamato!

You see, there you go. I never said exact. I said "characteristics much like". Now the R10 produces sound that some enjoy, which the PortaPros also share as they produce sound that some enjoy, therefore they share this characteristic. They also both plug into a headphone amp, another characteristic they share. Get the R10, if you can find a pair, and some Portapros and let us know what you think. :^)

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #6,847 of 18,459

Quote:
I believe this is true.

Quote:
From memory, the taxman doesn't count postage costs, only the cost of the item.

You can always call the ATO to find out for sure.

Quote:
Anyone able to tell me what they were quoted for shipping to Australia? Seen as though the exchange rate is so good atm, if shipping was < $50 then that would avoid hitting the $1000 AUD and the $200+ tax that occurs as a result. If this was the case I may just pull the trigger now.

The taxman does count postage towards the total cost of the item, but only for the purpose of charging GST.  See here:  http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.asp?doc=/content/13193.htm 
For the purposes of charging customs duty it is calculated differently and postage cost is not included in that calculation. 
In my limited experience buying from the US it is very random how these taxes and duties are levied. Sometimes you will get lucky and completely avoid them and then other times they might decide to hit you up for it. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #6,848 of 18,459
@matthewh133: 52USD was what was quoted and paid for shipping to Australia, import duty was not required.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #6,849 of 18,459
I would like to get help to find a cheap balanced cable for my wa22, which means 3 or 4 pins. I am not a cable believer so I would like to find a cheap cable which is balanced and not so stiff as the stock cable. Do you know anything cheaper than Silver Dragon?

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #6,851 of 18,459

you can get the Blue Dragon cables from Drew for probably 50 less. 

Thanks, when I look at the website it seems to cost 200 dollars for a 5 ft balanced cable. It is a reasonable price. Has anyone tried the balanced cable from audeze?

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #6,852 of 18,459

Quote:
I would like to get help to find a cheap balanced cable for my wa22, which means 3 or 4 pins. I am not a cable believer so I would like to find a cheap cable which is balanced and not so stiff as the stock cable. Do you know anything cheaper than Silver Dragon?

Audeze will make you a stock balanced cable for $80

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #6,853 of 18,459

Quote:
After spending quite a but of time with the ALO 8-wire LUX_FEP and Moon Audio Silver Dragon.  After burning in the Silver Dragon 100 hours, I decided to keep it, and sell the ALO.  I actually still slightly prefer the ALO in terms of sonics, although the Silver Dragon is excellent.  But whereas the Silver Dragon is actually an ergonomic improvement over the stock cable, the ALO is just far too heavy.  In the end I could not get past that.  Using the headphones with the ALO required me to stay sitting on the couch, and have the couch help support the weight of the cable.  Listening to the ALO standing up was simply not endurable. 

The Silver Dragon, after burn in, do seem to add just a very small amount of extra treble energy.  This is sometimes welcome, and other times, not, depending on the recording, but it was actually pretty subtle in the end (I switched back and forth between cables repeatedly to try to really assess the difference).  Some people might find this slight additional top-end sparkle to be just what the LCD-2 needed.  The difference between either and the stock cable is also relatively subtle, but meaningful enough I think to be worth the expense for some folks (it is for me), and the stock cable has some ergonomic issues of its own (such as hitting the shoulder, and being microphonic).

So while I find both the ALO and Silver Dragon to be excellent sounding aftermarket cables, I prefer the Silver Dragon in terms of the overall package.

You tell me exactly what I want to hear :wink:
I got the Silver Dragon cable today. At work now though and the cable is in sub zero temperatures in the car... How is silver with that? Suppose I would let it heat up before starting to toy with it :)

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #6,854 of 18,459
Cryo treatment? That usually costs extra.

Quote:

Quote:

You tell me exactly what I want to hear :wink:
I got the Silver Dragon cable today. At work now though and the cable is in sub zero temperatures in the car... How is silver with that? Suppose I would let it heat up before starting to toy with it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back