Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 22, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #6,811 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How do they compared to the HE6? Especially in the low end, which one is more powerful? I currently have the HE6, but i am wondering if I should have gotten the LCD-2.

I'm more confused why, when you were at the meet and the LCD2s outnumbered the HE6s, why you didn't try them and form your own opinion.

I was in a big rush.... I had to get to work. I wish I did listen to them though.

That's amazing you bought the HE6s so quickly after such a short listen in a loud meet environment.  I'd like to contribute but I need better alone time with the HE6.  From what I've heard I'm leaning towards the LCD2, especially because I love my O2--not that they're so similar but the LCD2 strike the right chord in me.  I also loved the bass on the LCD2.  From my experience with the HE6 I feel it's less forgiving than the LCD2.  I keep low bit rate songs to test headphones and even those sounded great with the LCD2.  Hopefully I'll be able to try the HE6 before I make a purchase but quite a few people that have heard both and know me have urged me toward the LCD2.

Personally if you love the HE6, enjoy them.  It's not worth worrying so much about all these headphones.  It looks like you have serious case of upgraditis.  You should count your blessings you're not into Stax. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #6,812 of 18,459

Quote:
I intend to listen and compare first, but I'm thinking that either the LCD-2 or an O2 will be my "destination" headphone. I have and like an HE-5, I also have an RS-1 and an HD-600. Please, please, tell me they don't sound anything at all like an HD-6xx!  Heard enough of the dreaded "veil".

I also got the veil on my HD 650. no such thing on the LCD-2.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #6,813 of 18,459
^^^ x2

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #6,814 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How do they compared to the HE6? Especially in the low end, which one is more powerful? I currently have the HE6, but i am wondering if I should have gotten the LCD-2.

I'm more confused why, when you were at the meet and the LCD2s outnumbered the HE6s, why you didn't try them and form your own opinion.

I was in a big rush.... I had to get to work. I wish I did listen to them though.

That's amazing you bought the HE6s so quickly after such a short listen in a loud meet environment.  I'd like to contribute but I need better alone time with the HE6.  From what I've heard I'm leaning towards the LCD2, especially because I love my O2--not that they're so similar but the LCD2 strike the right chord in me.  I also loved the bass on the LCD2.  From my experience with the HE6 I feel it's less forgiving than the LCD2.  I keep low bit rate songs to test headphones and even those sounded great with the LCD2.  Hopefully I'll be able to try the HE6 before I make a purchase but quite a few people that have heard both and know me have urged me toward the LCD2.

Personally if you love the HE6, enjoy them.  It's not worth worrying so much about all these headphones.  It looks like you have serious case of upgraditis.  You should count your blessings you're not into Stax. 

I agree. I am a shopaholic audiophile, lol. I just don't have the money to have more than one thousand dollar+ over ear headphone and IEM (at least I chose my IEMs and am happy with my decision, lol). I do wish I was able to stay and compare the Grado PS1000s (if they were there), the Senn HD800s, HiFiMAN HE-6s, and the Audez'e LCD-2s. Maybe at the next meet, oh well! I just wish I didn't have to go to work that day.

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #6,815 of 18,459
When getting the LCD-2 I got rid of both my HD 580 and the "veil" at the same time (but I couldn't hear any veil on it anyway).
The LCD-1 was already better in every way than the HD 580. (The LCD-1 is also very light with soft velvet ear pads, so the HD 580 did not even have that advantage)

Quote:
Quote:
I intend to listen and compare first, but I'm thinking that either the LCD-2 or an O2 will be my "destination" headphone. I have and like an HE-5, I also have an RS-1 and an HD-600. Please, please, tell me they don't sound anything at all like an HD-6xx!  Heard enough of the dreaded "veil".

I also got the veil on my HD 650. no such thing on the LCD-2.

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #6,816 of 18,459
I can no longer put up with my HD650s.  They were once my darling headphones.  It wasn't the LCD2s that made me hate them...it was the Fostex T50s.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #6,817 of 18,459

Quote:
I thought the LCD series sounds like how the HD-6xx ought to have sounded.... they give me the experience I had expected (but did not get) from the Senns. So the LCD series is dramatically different from the HD-6xx. IMHO. There is something about the sound that reminds me a bit of the good aspects of the HD series. But I think it ends there.

Quote:

Quote:

IMO the HE-6 sounds more like the HD600, while the LCD-2's FR curve reminds me more of the HD650. I'm not saying the headphones sound anything alike or veiled, just that the perceived FR curves match up that way to my ears.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #6,818 of 18,459

Quote:

And the more I hear the HF2, the more I feel it resembles a Grado'd HD600 actually. 

I actually think the LCD-2 sounds more like the best of both worlds from RS1 and HD650 and some. The engaging warmth and richness of RS1 (the sounds you hear from violins and vocals) and the laidback presentation of HD650 with some obvious technical superiority. It's what the HD6xx and the K7xx wish they could be. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #6,819 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
I thought the LCD series sounds like how the HD-6xx ought to have sounded.... they give me the experience I had expected (but did not get) from the Senns. So the LCD series is dramatically different from the HD-6xx. IMHO. There is something about the sound that reminds me a bit of the good aspects of the HD series. But I think it ends there.

Quote:

Quote:

IMO the HE-6 sounds more like the HD600, while the LCD-2's FR curve reminds me more of the HD650. I'm not saying the headphones sound anything alike or veiled, just that the perceived FR curves match up that way to my ears.

you guys are confusing me, please stop :p

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #6,820 of 18,459
LCD-2 arrived this afternoon. Managed to unpack them this evening while the wife was out... Man, talk about box in a box in a box in a box :))

The packaging is top notch and i really felt these were hand made specially for me, with the nice little touch of your personalised graph.

The fit is fantastic and i find them much more comfortable than the D7000 i used to own, dont know yet if i prefer them to the HD800.

Into 1 hour of listening and man ive never heard sound like this before. I currently own JH13s and HD800. My setup is Mac -> Weiss DAC202, waiting on my audio-gd phoenix to arrive.

Im happy to say that the soundstage doesnt feel ridiculously small, but more intimate for sure than the HD800. They strike me as natural and earthy if i were to compare directly with the HD800.

But what strikes me the most is the fullness of instruments, they are whole. Ive had in just under an hour several goosebump moments that ive never had before !!

God knows what will happen when all my equipment is burned in (if such a thing exists :))

Cheers
Xav

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #6,823 of 18,459
Mine was abut 3.5 weeks ago so it looks like I have another 4 weeks or so. :^)

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #6,825 of 18,459
Anyone able to tell me what they were quoted for shipping to Australia? Seen as though the exchange rate is so good atm, if shipping was < $50 then that would avoid hitting the $1000 AUD and the $200+ tax that occurs as a result. If this was the case I may just pull the trigger now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back