Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #6,826 of 18,459
Quote:
Order was placed on the 25th of september. Not a bad wait i must say.

Cheers
Xav

Thanks! That's not too bad at all. I'm hoping I'll be notified in the next couple of days then. I'm usually a very patient person but I don't know how much more sitting on my hands I can take. These will be amazing to have during finals.

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #6,827 of 18,459
From memory, the taxman doesn't count postage costs, only the cost of the item.

You can always call the ATO to find out for sure.

Quote:
Anyone able to tell me what they were quoted for shipping to Australia? Seen as though the exchange rate is so good atm, if shipping was < $50 then that would avoid hitting the $1000 AUD and the $200+ tax that occurs as a result. If this was the case I may just pull the trigger now.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #6,828 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
Anyone able to tell me what they were quoted for shipping to Australia? Seen as though the exchange rate is so good atm, if shipping was < $50 then that would avoid hitting the $1000 AUD and the $200+ tax that occurs as a result. If this was the case I may just pull the trigger now.

Excellent to hear, I will have to check that out. Thanks!

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #6,829 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:

lucky you. Here they count everything as tax even shipping. Greedy bastards

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #6,830 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, so I just got off the phone with customs, and he said that if at the time of payment the exchange rate keeps the cost below $1000, which it will in this case assuming the exchange rate doesn't plummit, I would not have to pay any other fees. The postage is not included in the cost, just the price of the item, so that's good.

That being said though something he said confused me, he said if they sent directly through UPS to them (customs) it wouldn't cost any extra, but if they went on a plane and used other services it would incur brokerage, wharf costs etc (whatever applicable) which would come to $200+ . So I am still not 100% sure..

Can any Aussies confirm that they had to pay an extra 200+ with an exchange rate that kept the cost below $1000?

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #6,832 of 18,459

Quote:
Just budget for $1300 and you should be right. 

Quote:

Can any Aussies confirm that they had to pay an extra 200+ with an exchange rate that kept the cost below $1000?

That's the thing, $1000 is already budgeting a little over what I would like, but I want to get in on it while the exchange is booming, can't really afford to lay down the extra $300 as I am currently saving to go overseas again for another few months and I still need to get an amp.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #6,833 of 18,459
FYI guys I pre-ordered on the 15th of October and got an email yesterday with a link to pay (22nd November), so roughly 5 weeks. I'm also from AUS, not quite sure regarding customs tax but just couldn't resist either way so I guess if I get charged tax I'll have to cop it on the chin and pay it. Here's a direct link to the Customs website with info on buying over the internet: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp

Look under 'When Duty and Taxes are Payable'.

I think the fees regarding brokerage, wharf costs etc might be associated with importing goods to sell only? Since this is a personal import and no different from ordering off Amazon.com, I don't see why we would have to pay any costs other than duty + GST if the value was over $1000AUD.

Anyways fingers crossed and hopefully I receive these bad boys in a week or so :)

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #6,834 of 18,459
Then don't buy them, live within your means and buy what you can afford. 

Quote:
That's the thing, $1000 is already budgeting a little over what I would like, but I want to get in on it while the exchange is booming, can't really afford to lay down the extra $300 as I am currently saving to go overseas again for another few months and I still need to get an amp.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #6,835 of 18,459
With regard to comparisons to HD-600 and HD650, I thought Smeggy's thunderpants had a similar sound signature to the HD-650, but that's where the similarities ended.  It's a different technology, so an ortho having the same tonal balance to a dynamic doesn't mean they will sound anything alike.  The speed and detail of magna planars creates a very different sound. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #6,836 of 18,459
I believe this is true.

Quote:

Quote:

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #6,838 of 18,459
Yes you should apologize, what were you thinking? Something as enjoyable as music that you should compare the sound of one headphone to another with possible similarities in some areas. I mean they both produce sound so I suppose there might be a few things that would be alike, I guess. 

I have read that my PortaPros have characteristics much like the Sony R10. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #6,839 of 18,459
Wow the PortaPros sound exactly like the R10? I'm gonna get some! Thanks Jamato!

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #6,840 of 18,459

Quote:
Wow the PortaPros sound exactly like the R10? I'm gonna get some! Thanks Jamato!

You see, there you go. I never said exact. I said "characteristics much like". Now the R10 produces sound that some enjoy, which the PortaPros also share as they produce sound that some enjoy, therefore they share this characteristic. They also both plug into a headphone amp, another characteristic they share. Get the R10, if you can find a pair, and some Portapros and let us know what you think. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back