Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 27, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #1,291 of 18,459

I contemplated about posting anything at all seeing as this thread is developing an undertone which I am not comfortable with and honestly don't have the inclination to deal with. BUT I do feel I need to set my record straight about a few things. 

1. Comfort - The foam is initially ugly but it grows on you and is very comfortable. It appears to be industrial type rubber foam and I suspect will survive a chemical spill. The pads are J$ pads, the foam is firm and as such has less give than something like the 02 pads. The leather does soften up and the headband can be stretched to accomodate most people with more cerebral matter. There is however never any doubt that you are wearing in excess of 1/2 kg on your head. 

2. The cable. The stock cable is in my opinion well chosen for this headphone. It is not a cheap afterthought but a shielded 4-quad cable many of us would choose to recable most stock headphones. Well made and worthy. My unexpected listening test with the ALO cable was well ... unexpected and unexplained. 

3. I second (3rd / 4th) the opinion that these headphones are going to be difficult to assess in meet conditions. 

4. Comparisons to other headphones. - highly subjective. 

I like the 02. It is all it is made out to be. Would I choose it , probably not as it would mean that I need a dedicated stat rig and that is not something I see necessary. For what it is worth I liked the 404 - hybrid exstata pairing as much. There is a good reason we have the stax mafia and an international following of electrostatic headphones. Can you plug your stat into your iphone and continue to groove - I am sure some crazy Icelandic nomad may have tried this :wink:. In the past I could appreciate much of what the stats offer with vintage orthos, additionally the orthos bring massive dynamics and serious punch to the table (at the expense of soundstage), that palpable energy is what most dynamic headphones offer but they lose the subtle nuances in the mids and many if not most have a bass coloration which is only noticeable when you have spent time in its absence. So why do I blather on, well it is the first time that I feel an orthodynamic offers a complete package. The accuracy and natural presentation of the top end stats with the soundstage and palpable energy of dynamics which preserving the planar mids and bass control. I guess this is hype but it is also what made me sit back with true appreciation for something that I had been looking for. Top end dynamics T1/HD800 , I do not own them and therefore have only listened to them on either their owners systems or more recently in a store with a selection of amps. Either non of the systems that I have heard the HD800 with have good synergy with it or I dislike the signature of this headphone. People may cringe but i thought the previous HD6xx were more balanced. The T1 is actually a very good sounding headphone on initial listening. I found it pretty well balanced, there is a midbass coloration but that is only wrt planar bias. I thought the T1 had a greater clamping force than the LCD2 but the velour pads and lower mass, make it overall more comfortable. 

well so much for a short post , enough said from me. 

..dB

I contemplated about posting anything at all seeing as this thread is developing an undertone which I am not comfortable with and honestly don't have the inclination to deal with. BUT I do feel I need to set my record straight about a few things. 

1. Comfort - The foam is initially ugly but it grows on you and is very comfortable. It appears to be industrial type rubber foam and I suspect will survive a chemical spill. The pads are J$ pads, the foam is firm and as such has less give than something like the 02 pads. The leather does soften up and the headband can be stretched to accomodate most people with more cerebral matter. There is however never any doubt that you are wearing in excess of 1/2 kg on your head. 

2. The cable. The stock cable is in my opinion well chosen for this headphone. It is not a cheap afterthought but a shielded 4-quad cable many of us would choose to recable most stock headphones. Well made and worthy. My unexpected listening test with the ALO cable was well ... unexpected and unexplained. 

3. I second (3rd / 4th) the opinion that these headphones are going to be difficult to assess in meet conditions. 

I like the 02. It is all it is made out to be. Would I choose it , probably not as it would mean that I need a dedicated stat rig and that is not something I see necessary. For what it is worth I liked the 404 - hybrid exstata pairing as much. There is a good reason we have the stax mafia and an international following of electrostatic headphones. Can you plug your stat into your iphone and continue to groove - I am sure some crazy Icelandic nomad may have tried this :wink:. In the past I could appreciate much of what the stats offer with vintage orthos, additionally the orthos bring massive dynamics and serious punch to the table (at the expense of soundstage), that palpable energy is what most dynamic headphones offer but they lose the subtle nuances in the mids and many if not most have a bass coloration which is only noticeable when you have spent time in its absence. So why do I blather on, well it is the first time that I feel an orthodynamic offers a complete package. The accuracy and natural presentation of the top end stats with the soundstage and palpable energy of dynamics which preserving the planar mids and bass control. I guess this is hype but it is also what made me sit back with true appreciation for something that I had been looking for. Top end dynamics T1/HD800 , I do not own them and therefore have only listened to them on either their owners systems or more recently in a store with a selection of amps. Either non of the systems that I have heard the HD800 with have good synergy with it or I dislike the signature of this headphone. People may cringe but i thought the previous HD6xx were more balanced. The T1 is actually a very good sounding headphone on initial listening. I found it pretty well balanced, there is a midbass coloration but that is only wrt planar bias. I thought the T1 had a greater clamping force than the LCD2 but the velour pads and lower mass, make it overall more comfortable. 

..dB

..dB

..dB

May 27, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #1,293 of 18,459

Quote:
This is another unbecoming post, KW.  Not like you at all. 

Absolutely no comment.

USG

Help me, I'm stupid, explain to me what is erroneous about my post?  If you're serious about your feeling, why not address this in a PM and copy Jude so he can see it too, rather than derailing this entire thread to voice your complaint.

May 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #1,294 of 18,459

Quote:
/rant on
There have been plenty of comparisons made here in this, and other LCD-2 threads.   Surprisingly, there are many who expend great amounts of energy jumping up and down crying snake oil, and they can't sound that good, etc, etc.  Shut up and listen.  Instead of displaying ignorance at the top of one's collective lungs, shut up and listen.  Go listen to a pair for yourselves.  Don't cry "snake oil" until you've heard for yourselves.  Then tell us what you've heard, and why you think such and such.  I've never in my life seen such a phenomenon, where people will argue till they're blue in the face, when they haven't even heard the thing they're bashing!  Unbelievable!   Ask all the questions you want, but don't cry fowl until you've tasted the chicken for yourself.
/rant off

If that's a reply to my post I suggest you reread it.  I'm not crying snake oil or claiming they can't sound good at all.  I actually expect them to sound very good.  I also find it humorous you're talking about people screaming at the top of their lungs when you have half the posts in this thread. :p

May 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #1,296 of 18,459
agree, too many official/unofficial promoters (yourself included, sir
very_evil_smiley.gif
).
Isn't this product already officially released? I'd expect there are quite some people listening to these phones right now and ....please, reviews, reviews we want...... 
popcorn.gif

Quote:

May 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #1,298 of 18,459
"Thunderpants is a 2002 family film about a boy whose incredible capacity for flatulence gets him a job as an astronaut."

Had no idea about this movie, is this what you are referring to?

Quote:
He's just upset over not owning a pair of Thunderpants :wink:

"Alan and Patrick team up... to make Thunderpants, a space suit strong enough to contain Patrick's emissions."

lol
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #1,299 of 18,459

Quote:
If that's a reply to my post I suggest you reread it.  I'm not crying snake oil or claiming they can't sound good at all.  I actually expect them to sound very good.  I also find it humorous you're talking about people screaming at the top of their lungs when you have half the posts in this thread. :p

I wasn't responding to your post, but you might notice I didn't have post one in this thread until after I had been listening to the LCD-2 for three weeks or more.

May 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #1,300 of 18,459

Quote:
"Thunderpants is a 2002 family film about a boy whose incredible capacity for flatulence gets him a job as an astronaut."

Had no idea about this movie, is this what you are referring to?

"Alan and Patrick team up... to make Thunderpants, a space suit strong enough to contain Patrick's emissions."

lol
biggrin.gif

LOL
popcorn.gif

May 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #1,301 of 18,459

Quote:
Kwkarth, have you found a favorite amp yet and what source do you have?

I wish I could say yes, but nope, I'm not ready to commit to a specific amp yet.  I've been listening to a variety of sources, but mostly high bit rate recordings through various DACs.  Personally, once things are at a certain level, further improvements begin to dissolve into diminishing returns.  Once I settle on a particular amp, then I can begin to focus on other parts of the chain.

May 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #1,302 of 18,459

Quote:
Right.  They are really good, and (IMO) competitive with other top-tier headphones.  Does that make them perfect? Of course not.  I already am pretty sure some people will find the bass too much, and some will find the treble too soft (and I have said so several times).

And while the comfort has improved, if I could have just one headphone, it would still be the T1, as I find it significantly more comfortable (and very close in performance).

I like the LCD-2 a lot - but they will not be for everyone.  NO headphone is.

No Headphone probably ever will be! But your best synergy (at this moment comes from a tube amp), and might not be the most synergistic parring. Not enough control at both extremes in the ultimate sense. Can't wait for my Leben (either can my Harbeths) to come out and play
wink_face.gif
! You should go straight to the speaker taps and try 15 watts of ultra-linear goodness! I will of course when it arrives....I wonder how quiet it actually is at the taps?

I opened the Dynahi up last eve' and let her run....holy schitzke! The T1 is in-offensive, but when driven proper the Audez'e is well ahead of the race IMO! 

I have massaged the Audez'e to the point where it's comfort is a non issue. The weight you get used to!

Really, you have to get to the Jam (or later a local meet) as these will undoubtedly be there. No, meets aren't set-up to make the best value judgement's, but some of the merits will be readily apparent!

People have been after Kevin (kwkarth) for being out of character...I don't think that is fair assessment. If you were in his shoes (moccasins) and have lived with the phone awhile you might be stride for stride in opinion, and in defense of the of this Ortho...Just my two cents. 

I was a Boo-Bird when these first appeared (the HE-5 left a bad taste in the mouth). Spouting all over the place the superiority of the 800! I had to alter my opinions, and in effect change my recommendations for effective headphone listening...I won't be the only one when it's said and done.

May 27, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #1,303 of 18,459

Quote:
Help me, I'm stupid, explain to me what is erroneous about my post?  If you're serious about your feeling, why not address this in a PM and copy Jude so he can see it too, rather than derailing this entire thread to voice your complaint.

It wasn't erroneous, KW, it was language, tone and demeanor unbecoming someone of moderator status. 

USG

May 27, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #1,304 of 18,459
Alan you missed the point of my post, buddy. Its not that *I* think the LCD-2 have any issues at the frequency extremes - I personally do not. But I have learned that what I think sounds phenomenal to me will still not appeal to everyone. No matter how good you think they are, there are going to people who disagree.

May 27, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #1,305 of 18,459

Quote:
It wasn't erroneous, KW, it was language, tone and demeanor unbecoming someone of moderator status. 

USG

I don't know what you're talking about, but could you please stop venting your personal displeasure or take it somewhre else? Your tone and attitude are bothering me a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back