Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 12, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #811 of 18,459
Hi Ken, beautiful job on the LCD-2 cable!!  I was wondering why you chose to use 18awg instead of the more standard 22awg that I think you use on other headphones.  Also, I was wondering what the difference between the LUX-FEP OCC copper used in this cable compared to the usual OCC Cryo copper cable used in you past products.  Thanks :)

May 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #812 of 18,459

Quote:
Both awesome phones, the T1 has a detail edge, clean crisp, tight, the LCD2 is fuller, thicker and superb at low levels. The LCD2 is like a velvet hammer with the silky smooth mid and low end with tons of sonic information flowing. T1 has amazing imaging, super clean and fast... wonderful both have something to love. eh hard to describe really!

We can agree to dis-agree Ken...I'm not in the business to re-cable either/or! I have gear optimized for both...and it ain't that close!

May 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #813 of 18,459

Quote:

We can agree to dis-agree Ken...I'm not in the business to re-cable either/or! I have gear optimized for both...and it ain't that close!

Understood! Everyone hears and sees the world through his or her own pesonal "lens" 

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 12, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #814 of 18,459

Quote:
Hi Ken, beautiful job on the LCD-2 cable!!  I was wondering why you chose to use 18awg instead of the more standard 22awg that I think you use on other headphones.  Also, I was wondering what the difference between the LUX-FEP OCC copper used in this cable compared to the usual OCC Cryo copper cable used in you past products.  Thanks :)

Monsieurguzel,

I will PM you as not to hijack the thread.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 13, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #816 of 18,459
Quote:
Monsieurguzel,

I will PM you as not to hijack the thread.

Thanks

Ken

I was hoping you would answer at least the awg question in open forum myself.

May 13, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #817 of 18,459
"The Romantic Violin Concerto ~8" (part of a series)
"Vieuxtemps"
The Violin Concerto No.4 Op 31
The Violin Concerto No.5 Op37 &
Fantasia appassionata Op. 35.

Some of the works of Henry Vieuxtemps by Soloist: Viviane Hagner
w/ The Royal Flemish Philharmonic, Martyn Brabbins conductor
Hyperion CDA67798

The Fantasia appassionata Op. 35 was telling

The equipment used was the PS Audio PWT/PWD I2S connection between transport and dac (with the pure silver HDMI) connected to the Dynahi (again with silver connections).

Very interesting and informative pieces with an unique arrangement. The Solo Violinist is to the left of center with the other Violinists. When not playing in unison with the orchestral Violins, an impassioned dialog with the Orchestra is maintained. NEVER highlighted (in the center) as the typical soloist might be, but sprints to and fro. To foil the Orchestra or to blend in with the other Violins.....

Even when a true "solo" section of the piece passes your keenly aware it's not "highlighted" as such (would detract from the unique performance).

With the Audez'e the Composers/Conductors intent was intact, like-wise the intent remained with insertion of the HD800. The aural landscape changed considerably when the T1 was introduced however. The Soloist had the more conventional stance and was left hanging "solo".

Interesting also was the handling and the tonal balance of the piece as a whole. Too Sweet from the T1! The Sasserno Stradivarius (on loan from the Nippon Musical Foundation) that Viviane was playing, lacked distinct tone of the body with the T1. I heard the tonal inflections from the body all right from the Audez'e. I heard very similar tonal registers from the 800. It gelled like sweet syrup with the T1! Not that it wasn't pleasing, it was...just not the way it was recorded (IMO). 

The Orchestral space was between the ears on the T1 (but fairly well layered, front to back). Well to the sides on both the Audez'e and 800. The left of center ended up resting more toward your nose with the T1 (and higher up). Remained a constant and didn't float with the 800 or Audez'e....

Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things....I just thought it was an interesting contrast. I'm not T1 bashing! I like the T1...I just think it is outflanked...particularly at it's new price point!

May 13, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #821 of 18,459

Quote:
Nice description! Need to find those recordings and see how the sound.

Did the T1 have stock cable?

NO,no..the stock cable hamstrings the T1. To fat down below and bad hand-off from upper-midrange to low treble with the stock cable. Just the APS V3 single-ended...

May 13, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #822 of 18,459

Quote:
I was hoping you would answer at least the awg question in open forum myself.

I use the larger 18awg stuff when ever possible. I do not like to alter, drill, saw, and or hack when ever possible. The best mod looks like the factory did it. If the cups strain relief is such that it makes the addition of the better cable seamless I use that wire. In the case of the T1s the strain relief was huge so I can add the full 8 wires of 18awg. LCD2 gets 4 x 18awg wires.

Thanks and hope this helps

ken

May 13, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #823 of 18,459

Quote:
Finally got done with the damn review ..posted here as well.

Damn, I was breathless at the finish as you were writing! I take it you like the phones
biggrin.gif
?? Most everything right and very little wrong (not the same story for every phone...is it?) that will put thunder in your britches! GOOD JOB SIR!!

May 13, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #825 of 18,459

Quote:
Im under the impression the T1 would benefit from a Hybrid or tube amp and possibly copper wire.

Any amp that will handle the Voltage swing! My Moth and Sonett are very good here. The Auditor offers better dynamics and less coloration. The Dyna-hi (as high impedance) was developed with the higher impedance in mind and does exemplary. The USA has a space agency, silicon valley, high-end military with active aerospace. Good wire abounds! All hybrid wires aren't the same! You can PM me with any questions as not to hijack the thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back