Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 10, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #6,526 of 18,459

Quote:

I will say that I was coming from a lot of experience with slightly more treble-happy headphones (K701, CD3K, HD800, Stax Lambda) when I got my LCD-2, and it took my ears a little getting used to - you may be going through a similar experience independent of actual burn-in from the cans. After a little settling in, though, the LCD-2 sounds incredibly natural to me in almost every way and it's hard for me to go back to listening to other cans.

I agree about the sound taking a while to get used to.  It's a little like mental and perception burn-in, while the headphones themselves should not require any burn-in at all.  Been mentioned before, but to my ears, the mid range usually has so many sounds and the LCD-2 presents so much of it that it can seem like a wall of sound that takes a little while to get used to.

I don't have any experience with the EHHA, but maybe sachu or someone will pop in with an opinion.

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #6,527 of 18,459

Quote:
First post on this interesting thread.

Received my LCD2's a few days ago.  I've tried them briefly with my two current amps, both Cavalli designs (heavily modded Bijou & EHHA I).  First impressions of their sound are favourable, although not perhaps quite what I was expecting after reading of the experiences of others.  Bass is superb, soundstage great, but the mid & treble, whilst very smooth & silky, seem a bit subdued & confined, if not slightly boxy, compared to my HD650 & K701.  Could this be a reflection of lower distortion or colouration?  I should emphasise these are early impressions (<5 hours).  Does anyone know whether the LCD2 requires an extended burn in period before giving their best?  I found this was the case with the Senns before they really opened up.  I also saw somewhere the LCD2 is quite sensitive to matching with the "right" amp, whatever that may be, but I can't find the link again.  They work well with both the above amps, although bass seems a bit tighter with the EHHA.  Anyone have any suggestions regarding this?

Others have commented on comfort, or lack thereof, but I have no complaints.  They are quite heavy but contact points are very well padded & provided you don't start dancing, I don't think they are any worse than the Senns or AKGs in terms of long term comfort.

I'll post more impressions as I work through my music collection & try a few other amps as well.

Thanks.

Lower distortion and no amplitude roll-off of the initial foundation frequencies - this is the opposite of coloration, no?

I am starting to question the pitch of an individuals voice and their interpretation of where the "midrange" actually is.  For instance I hear my own voice in the midrange that borders the extreme upper bass - very far away from treble...hence my own thoughts are portrayed with my own voice - this frequency dominates my mind, as my thoughts are endless.

For instance...I would consider what some might call midrange as "upper midrange" to me and not midrange proper, as in the W5000 and K701 upper mid peaks.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #6,528 of 18,459
When I listen to live music, it is seldom, if ever that I hear the high frequencies I quest for in speaker and headphone use. What I want is not what is normally there in any amplitude with the highs falling off first as they travel through the air. I have listened to live orchestral and at one even I was able to move about freely in a large church. I got to within 6 feet of the lead violin and still it was mostly mids, very little of the highs that I want. So did it sound good to me, no. But I was looking for something unnatural to the acoustical transmission of sound at that time and should have just enjoyed it for what it was. Sometimes we just don't get out enough, or at least, I don't. 

I believe that on speaker systems and phones that it is a hyper realistic reproduction sought after because we are trying trick/convince ourself/subconscious into thinking it is live, as much as possible and if less, it does not break down that barrier. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #6,529 of 18,459

Quote:
When I listen to live music, it is seldom, if ever that I hear the high frequencies I quest for in speaker and headphone use. What I want is not what is normally there in any amplitude with the highs falling off first as they travel through the air. I have listened to live orchestral and at one even I was able to move about freely in a large church. I got to within 6 feet of the lead violin and still it was mostly mids, very little of the highs that I want. So did it sound good to me, no. But I was looking for something unnatural to the acoustical transmission of sound at that time and should have just enjoyed it for what it was. Sometimes we just don't get out enough, or at least, I don't. 

I agree, and often times seek a can that is able to impart a dreamy, angelic and ethereal quality to female voices - these sounds are gorgeous to me.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #6,530 of 18,459
Help me out guys.

About a week ago I emailed Audeze and asked them to put my name on the wait list. I also asked them if I am supposed to pay upfront, or when they are ready. Here was the response:

Payment needs to be made only when we have your headphones ready for shipment. Shipping varies from $22 to $70 depending upon the country and type of shipment

Sankar

Well this didn't exactly confirm to me that I am now on their 'list', and was left wondering if indeed I am. So I've since emailed them THREE more times to confirm this, and haven't gotten even one response. Doesn't seem like these guys are on the ball. Is there something I'm missing? The last thing I wanna do is wait even longer than the already long wait for these beauties! Thanks.

-Daniel

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #6,531 of 18,459

On the audeze website there is a form for you to put yourself in for preorder. after you do that you will get a confirmation email from them. Anyway you pay only when they are ready.
Quote:
Help me out guys.

About a week ago I emailed Audeze and asked them to put my name on the wait list. I also asked them if I am supposed to pay upfront, or when they are ready. Here was the response:

Payment needs to be made only when we have your headphones ready for shipment. Shipping varies from $22 to $70 depending upon the country and type of shipment

Sankar

Well this didn't exactly confirm to me that I am now on their 'list', and was left wondering if indeed I am. So I've since emailed them THREE more times to confirm this, and haven't gotten even one response. Doesn't seem like these guys are on the ball. Is there something I'm missing? The last thing I wanna do is wait even longer than the already long wait for these beauties! Thanks.

-Daniel

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #6,532 of 18,459
Thanks a million! I've been on that site a dozen times and didn't notice that. That doesn't mean they couln't respond and answer that simple question after a week though. Maybe I just expect to much from people asking for my $1000...or not.
wink.gif

-Daniel

edit: I actually filled that out last week, but didn't realize that's how they put you on the list. Is there anyway to get a better timetable than "around a month wait"? I'm not gonna bother emailng   them about it again, hopefully they are better if you call them. I'll try tomorrow.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #6,533 of 18,459
The wait time is still around 2 months to my knowledge so just be patient. They will contact you when they are ready. Bugging them is not going to make your headphones arrive any faster.   

Quote:

edit: I actually filled that out last week, but didn't realize that's how they put you on the list. Is there anyway to get a better timetable than "around a month wait"? I'm not gonna bother emailng   them about it again, hopefully they are better if you call them. I'll try tomorrow.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #6,534 of 18,459
I was quoted at a month when I preordered on the 27th. I don't really think there's a way to expedite the process or cut line.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #6,535 of 18,459
Keep in mind, they are a small company.  Time spent answering emails about when your headphones are going to be ready only keeps them from actually making your headphones.  If everyone who orders from them pesters them to death, they'll either never be able to get any phones out the door, or they'll have to raise prices in order to hire a customer service rep. 

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #6,536 of 18,459
go look in the LCD-2 serial number trend, it'll have when ppl pre ordered and received so you can get an idea

Quote:
Thanks a million! I've been on that site a dozen times and didn't notice that. That doesn't mean they couln't respond and answer that simple question after a week though. Maybe I just expect to much from people asking for my $1000...or not.
wink.gif

-Daniel

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #6,537 of 18,459

Well daniel, i preordered on 26 october and got the order form 1 month later. so i guess your wait time should be around 1 month, as stated on the website.
I also had my email ignored, but i beleive its because they get too many emails and they're a small company so they don't have the time to respond.
You should check your email inbox to see if you are on the prelist. After you fill up that form, you should receive a email response that they received your request or something like that.

Quote:
wink.gif

-Daniel

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #6,538 of 18,459

Quote:

here you go john:

I would say that is a fair "in a nutshell" assessment of the three phones, and in line with my notes, except that the HD800 improve a good bit in the graininess with a nice copper cable like my Locus Design Hyperion or Warren Audio X10 and the right amp/tubes.  At RMAF several people commented about this when they listened to the HD800 in my PWD > ZDT rig with the aftermarket cable, saying this was the best they've heard the HD800 sound (tung sol 5751 tube).  

That rig was also a good match for the HE-6 and HE-5 LE, but a little dark sounding with the LCD-2.  I'm planning to do more tube rolling to see what I can do to improve the LCD-2 with my ZDT amp. The Sylvania gold pin 5751 was better for LCD-2 than my Tung Sol although not as good with HD800 as the tung Sol.  I suspect my Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7 might be better, and need to try my cryo'd re-issued Mullard 12AX7.  The GE black plate 5751 were also too dark with the LCD-2.  Converting my WA6 to use 6SN7 tubes made a big improvement with the LCD-2, where the Sylvania VT-231 is better with them than my RCA 6DE7, so for the time being I only use the LCD-2 with my WA6 in my bedroom rig (occasionally with the Nuforce HDP while I wait for tubes to warm up).  

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #6,539 of 18,459
I don´t think the lcd-2 are neutral in a absolute level. But they are perfectly linear in a relative level. That is, as you can see from the graph, the frequency is ruler flat from 10hz to 1khz, so you can hear for instance, the bass notes very linear. With some speakers or other headphones, you can hear some notes of the electric bass more emphasized than other notes. This doesn´t happen with lcd-2. But the bass/midbass/mids are too prominent. You can hear female vocals too deep. That´s what some people have been loving about Diana krall, and the other female singer whose name i don´t remember. If you like it, it´s ok, but if you want a neutral voice, you don´t get it. I´ve even tried that with my mother´s voice recorded with professional studio microphones, it was deeper than in real life. While people may like this, this is not neutral in my opinion.
But it´s very easy to solve with an equalizer. For instance, as i wrote in my previous post: I´m applying -3db to the frequencies up to 1khz, -1db to 2khz and 16khz bands. To my hears also, this sounds much more similiar to my speakers, that are very flat (i have their frequency response measurement).
This is much more natural, and similiar to real life. I´m trying to buy a tube amp for more musicality though. But still, i want the frequency response to be as neutral as possible.
When i first heard about the he-6 being more open, i was worring that i made the wrong choice in buying the lcd-2, but with the EQ (wich is free if you use your computer as the source), i can easily tailor these headphones to my tastes.

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #6,540 of 18,459
I didn't get an order form on the LCD-2 but got an email that I was on the preorder list, when I asked to make sure I was on it. I was also told in an email that they are trying to get the time down to 3 weeks. 

Where do you get a good equalizer for the computer? I have a Mac laptop. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back