Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 10, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #6,511 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm pondering getting a pair of HE-6s next year, especially since I'll get $100 off for having bought the HE-5s previously. However, the one thing putting me off the idea is, if their sonic signature interferes with my enjoyment of the LCD-2s then I'll be worse off in a sense.

yeah that would be a major reason I would not get them

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #6,512 of 18,459

Quote:
I would like to see even a small comparison between the LCD-2 and the Ultrasone Ed. 10, just to get an idea of how they fit into the auditory imagery. 

I will certainly offer some thoughts on that, once I actually receive my Ed. 10's - at this point I have no idea of when that will be.

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #6,513 of 18,459

Quote:
I will certainly offer some thoughts on that, once I actually receive my Ed. 10's - at this point I have no idea of when that will be.

They told me you would get yours soon. lol

Well I like the Ed. 9 and realize they aren't everyone's cup of tea, so to speak but I enjoy them and have never gotten the big difference in sound of the Ultrasound when compared to Grado or Sennheiser or any of the many other manufactures. I enjoy them all but frankly, again the big difference or even small one, in the way the sound arrives isn't that noticeable to me. 

So if the 10's are a refinement and not a step down anywhere, great. Though it don't come cheap, do it? :^) It would be fun to have a true reference, even if it isn't to everyone's liking as seldom anything ever, ever is. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #6,514 of 18,459
Could be old news, but in the HE6 review in this buyers' guide there is a brief comparison between the HE-6 and the LCD-2. The review begins on pg 104.

I find the reviews very well done.

http://www.avguide.com/buyers-guide/the-playback-guide-full-size-headphones

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #6,516 of 18,459
I was looking forward to reading it but the download is 25mb. Not a big deal if you have normal internet but here on the island that takes an hour to download. Oh for good DSL, even though that is what they call it here. 

Any highlights on the comparison? 

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #6,519 of 18,459

Quote:
I was looking forward to reading it but the download is 25mb. Not a big deal if you have normal internet but here on the island that takes an hour to download. Oh for good DSL, even though that is what they call it here. 

Any highlights on the comparison? 

here you go john:

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #6,520 of 18,459

Quote:
They didn't say anything about the sound in that review.  Still good publicity for Audeze, but I don't understand these kinds of reviews that go on and on about build quality and fail to mention anything about it's purpose.  It's not a couch, it's a pair of headphones.

All 6moons reviews are like this. You have to dig deep and hard to find anything about how they actually sound. It´s a preview but it follow the same pattern lol

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #6,521 of 18,459
I agree with everything they said about the HD800 vs HE6, based on the prototype model and my limited time with the HD800.  Similar clean, detailed, transparent sound except the HE6 does it much better in my limited experience except for soundstage which the HD800 did better hands down. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #6,522 of 18,459
Soundstage wise, I find the LCD-2s have a very « on stage » presentation... That is up my street, because coming from a musically inclined family, that’s the soundstage that I’m most used to. So if I liste to Diana Krall, I feel I’m sitting next to her on the piano. Almost so intimate that I can smell her perfume...

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #6,523 of 18,459
First post on this interesting thread.

Received my LCD2's a few days ago.  I've tried them briefly with my two current amps, both Cavalli designs (heavily modded Bijou & EHHA I).  First impressions of their sound are favourable, although not perhaps quite what I was expecting after reading of the experiences of others.  Bass is superb, soundstage great, but the mid & treble, whilst very smooth & silky, seem a bit subdued & confined, if not slightly boxy, compared to my HD650 & K701.  Could this be a reflection of lower distortion or colouration?  I should emphasise these are early impressions (<5 hours).  Does anyone know whether the LCD2 requires an extended burn in period before giving their best?  I found this was the case with the Senns before they really opened up.  I also saw somewhere the LCD2 is quite sensitive to matching with the "right" amp, whatever that may be, but I can't find the link again.  They work well with both the above amps, although bass seems a bit tighter with the EHHA.  Anyone have any suggestions regarding this?

Others have commented on comfort, or lack thereof, but I have no complaints.  They are quite heavy but contact points are very well padded & provided you don't start dancing, I don't think they are any worse than the Senns or AKGs in terms of long term comfort.

I'll post more impressions as I work through my music collection & try a few other amps as well.

Thanks.

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #6,524 of 18,459

Quote:
First post on this interesting thread.

Received my LCD2's a few days ago.  I've tried them briefly with my two current amps, both Cavalli designs (heavily modded Bijou & EHHA I).  First impressions of their sound are favourable, although not perhaps quite what I was expecting after reading of the experiences of others.  Bass is superb, soundstage great, but the mid & treble, whilst very smooth & silky, seem a bit subdued & confined, if not slightly boxy, compared to my HD650 & K701.  Could this be a reflection of lower distortion or colouration?  I should emphasise these are early impressions (<5 hours).  Does anyone know whether the LCD2 requires an extended burn in period before giving their best? 

I will say that I was coming from a lot of experience with slightly more treble-happy headphones (K701, CD3K, HD800, Stax Lambda) when I got my LCD-2, and it took my ears a little getting used to - you may be going through a similar experience independent of actual burn-in from the cans. After a little settling in, though, the LCD-2 sounds incredibly natural to me in almost every way and it's hard for me to go back to listening to other cans.

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #6,525 of 18,459

Quote:
Soundstage wise, I find the LCD-2s have a very « on stage » presentation... That is up my street, because coming from a musically inclined family, that’s the soundstage that I’m most used to. So if I liste to Diana Krall, I feel I’m sitting next to her on the piano. Almost so intimate that I can smell her perfume...

That is how I also hear the LCD2s.  If the recording doesn't contain ambient cues...I am transported on-stage with the actual musicians - this is how I like it to sound, exactly.  The illusion is shattered for me when ambient cues are introduced into the recording and I have to take a seat with the Audience - at least they're front seats.

I am curios about the HE6 - I enjoy the HD800s because some recordings take a shine to brighter outputs, but they drive me mental with most of my recordings.  I think the HE6 might prove to be the better supplementary can  than the HD800s - although I don't think anything will surpass the staging characteristics of the HD800 anytime soon...bar the K1000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back