Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Oct 18, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #5,911 of 18,459
MY "REVIEW" OF THE LCD-2

Having finally got my LCD-2's, I've spent some time listening to them on a variety of tube and solid state amplifiers.  No need to write a full review of the 'phones, it's been done.  I will instead report some of my experiences- impressions-thoughts since having got these.

First off, these are the most significant headphones I've bought.  Significant in that they have certain fundamental characteristics that no other headphones I've owned have had.  Other phones I've owned - starting with ESP9's in 1969- have provided me with varying flavors and levels of listening enjoyment, and the better units have done good service to the music as well. But these Audeze offer neutrality. Their response from subsonics to the top of the range of human soprano fundamentals is ruler flat; response above this range is smooth enough to avoid sounding colored. From graphs I've seen, distortion is below 0.1% from 20 Hz and up at 90 dB. Waterfall response is the most perfect I've ever seen for any transducer- there simply is no resonant stored energy.  They reproduce square waves better than any audio transducer I've ever seen.  You may feel that their 2 KHz-9 KHz range is a little low, and I wouldn't argue, but I feel that this in no way takes away from their neutrality.  I would think these would be perfect instruments for evaluating audio during mastering in the studio. They also are the least fatiguing phones I've used in terms of sound.  They add nothing to the sound.

This has led me to think about all audio gear in a slightly different way. My Sennheiser HD800's have a different sound, they emphasize certain things in the recording.  That's true of all my other headphones; and they are all quite enjoyable and involving. But these LCD-2's are fundamentally different- rather than creating a sonic presentation for me, they seem to contain  just what's already there in the recording. It's this lack of emphasis, of euphonious coloration, that makes them different.  Not necessarily better- that is a matter of taste. But fundamentally different in that neutrality is their defining characteristic rather than "speed" "detail" "PRaT" "air"  "lush mids"  etc.   I happen to like them VERY MUCH; Your Mileage May Vary.

A few other notes:

1. Of all the amps I've tried them on, my (three-channel) Beta 22 seems to offer the best sound. And, interestingly, my Bijou was also nice. On the Bijou they seemed to have a pleasant "sparkly" sound, although the lows were not as well controlled as with solid state amps. (I'm surprised these low-impedance phones worked as well as they did on the OTL tube amps I tried them on, OTL amps are not known to be friendly to low-impedance headphones, and the LCD-2 are 50 ohms.)
  2. They are NOT particularly comfy.  They are heavy and although the lambskin-leather  earpads are butter-soft, I much prefer velour or microfiber earpads.  I can only hope Audeze (or someone) will come out with velour aftermarket pads.  That said, they are not skullbusters either.  They are OK to wear but could be better.  Nothing can be done about their weight, but I have got to figure out how to get velour pads on these things.
  3. The cables, while good, are far too stiff.  This also takes away from "wearability."

Oct 18, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #5,913 of 18,459
Nice review
beerchug.gif

The easiest way (apart from buying new pads from somewhere) to get velour on the pads might be to just sew a velour outside for them and place outside the leather. With some stretchy material on the outside, and a ring on the inside, this might be possible to do without damaging the leather pads. (If you are handy with the sewing machine that is....) ( I am considering doing the reverse, to add leather without damaging the pads, to the LCD-1.)

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #5,916 of 18,459

Quote:
MY "REVIEW" OF THE LCD-2

Having finally got my LCD-2's, I've spent some time listening to them on a variety of tube and solid state amplifiers.  No need to write a full review of the 'phones, it's been done.  I will instead report some of my experiences- impressions-thoughts since having got these.

First off, these are the most significant headphones I've bought.  Significant in that they have certain fundamental characteristics that no other headphones I've owned have had.  Other phones I've owned - starting with ESP9's in 1969- have provided me with varying flavors and levels of listening enjoyment, and the better units have done good service to the music as well. But these Audeze offer neutrality. Their response from subsonics to the top of the range of human soprano fundamentals is ruler flat; response above this range is smooth enough to avoid sounding colored. From graphs I've seen, distortion is below 0.1% from 20 Hz and up at 90 dB. Waterfall response is the most perfect I've ever seen for any transducer- there simply is no resonant stored energy.  They reproduce square waves better than any audio transducer I've ever seen.  You may feel that their 2 KHz-9 KHz range is a little low, and I wouldn't argue, but I feel that this in no way takes away from their neutrality.  I would think these would be perfect instruments for evaluating audio during mastering in the studio. They also are the least fatiguing phones I've used in terms of sound.  They add nothing to the sound.

This has led me to think about all audio gear in a slightly different way. My Sennheiser HD800's have a different sound, they emphasize certain things in the recording.  That's true of all my other headphones; and they are all quite enjoyable and involving. But these LCD-2's are fundamentally different- rather than creating a sonic presentation for me, they seem to contain  just what's already there in the recording. It's this lack of emphasis, of euphonious coloration, that makes them different.  Not necessarily better- that is a matter of taste. But fundamentally different in that neutrality is their defining characteristic rather than "speed" "detail" "PRaT" "air"  "lush mids"  etc.   I happen to like them VERY MUCH; Your Mileage May Vary.

A few other notes:

1. Of all the amps I've tried them on, my (three-channel) Beta 22 seems to offer the best sound. And, interestingly, my Bijou was also nice. On the Bijou they seemed to have a pleasant "sparkly" sound, although the lows were not as well controlled as with solid state amps. (I'm surprised these low-impedance phones worked as well as they did on the OTL tube amps I tried them on, OTL amps are not known to be friendly to low-impedance headphones, and the LCD-2 are 50 ohms.)
  2. They are NOT particularly comfy.  They are heavy and although the lambskin-leather  earpads are butter-soft, I much prefer velour or microfiber earpads.  I can only hope Audeze (or someone) will come out with velour aftermarket pads.  That said, they are not skullbusters either.  They are OK to wear but could be better.  Nothing can be done about their weight, but I have got to figure out how to get velour pads on these things.
  3. The cables, while good, are far too stiff.  This also takes away from "wearability."

Outstanding review. I am glad another Maggie love loves these cans and I agree with your conclusions it was spot on.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #5,917 of 18,459

Quote:
MY "REVIEW" OF THE LCD-2

A few other notes:

I love your take on them MilosZ and how you put them into words, well done.

Facebook: My Sentiments Exactly is a business. »

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #5,919 of 18,459
I tried the Audeze on my Bottlehead Crack amp today.  I didn't expect it could drive them well, the Crack is designed to work with higher impedance phones.  Some Grado users have reported that they liked the Crack, so I thought, what the heck. Maybe it will work.

Well, it didn't work.  It's no surprise that the Bottlehead Crack can't drive a medium-low efficiency low-impedance phone very well. At any normal listening level, the amp clipped.  But this is no surprise, as this amp is not designed to provide the current needed by low impedance phones.  But I had to try.  The Crack does seem to be able to run high-efficiency low impedance phones. But the Audeze want more current.

That said, I will still enjoy the Crack with other phones, it has a really nice sound. And I certainly also enjoy my other headphones, too- the LCD-2 did not replace any of them.  I like them all, for different reasons.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #5,921 of 18,459
What tubes and source were you using with the Crack? Using a 5998 and Mullard I didn't experience any clipping when using the LCD2 with the Crack.

Quote:
I tried the Audeze on my Bottlehead Crack amp today.  I didn't expect it could drive them well, the Crack is designed to work with higher impedance phones.  Some Grado users have reported that they liked the Crack, so I thought, what the heck. Maybe it will work.

Well, it didn't work.  It's no surprise that the Bottlehead Crack can't drive a medium-low efficiency low-impedance phone very well. At any normal listening level, the amp clipped.  But this is no surprise, as this amp is not designed to provide the current needed by low impedance phones.  But I had to try.  The Crack does seem to be able to run high-efficiency low impedance phones. But the Audeze want more current.

That said, I will still enjoy the Crack with other phones, it has a really nice sound. And I certainly also enjoy my other headphones, too- the LCD-2 did not replace any of them.  I like them all, for different reasons.

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #5,922 of 18,459

Quote:
Still no info from Audeze. Placed the preorder on the 8th of september.

My oder was on 3rd of sept (confirmed by sankar).... seems like people from end of august got theirs... maybe because of the cracking issue, i tried e-mailing them but no reply so far(checked junkmail also... but got email from them before so shouldn't be in junkmail) .... wonder what they're up to.....

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #5,923 of 18,459

I ordered mine on 17th August and got the pay link emailed to me on 8th October with all the others who ordered, up to the end of August. I suspect that they sort out a group of orders once every half a month, so I guess you would get your pay link possible around 22nd October, which would be quite soon. All I can say is that it's worth waiting for. 
regular_smile .gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My oder was on 3rd of sept (confirmed by sankar).... seems like people from end of august got theirs... maybe because of the cracking issue, i tried e-mailing them but no reply so far(checked junkmail also... but got email from them before so shouldn't be in junkmail) .... wonder what they're up to.....

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #5,925 of 18,459
I paid on 8th October they arrived at my home in Hong Kong on 18th October. I think the US customers received theirs a few days before me. I probably would have received mine on 16th but it was a bank holiday here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back