Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #1,966 of 18,459
For myself, I don't expect the world from the schiit, a tough and competent amp is what I want. Something that I can rough-house a bit without worrying. I already have some awesome amps so this isn't a competitor, but a cheap amp with a purpose in mind. I'll probably also increase it's sinking with a bolt-on set of fins to keep it's running temp good. Easy enough to do and it will be perfect for what I want. Let's be honest here, we're not really advocating a $250 amp as the perfect hi-end amp for the likes of the LCD-2. It needs to be good enough to serve it's purpose at a price where we can afford to forgive that it might not be a top-tier amp. I have no unrealistic expectations and I'm sure Kevin agrees.

Jun 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #1,967 of 18,459

Quote:
I don't think you'll see anywhere near that output once the MOSFETs start to get hot.  And they will get hot since they're using the bottom of the chassis as the heat sink for 4 devices at 10V and 315mA bias.  Once the FETs come up to temp and heat soak the chassis the bias current will fall and probably significantly.  I'd love to see to where it actually settles and the temp of the bottom of the chassis at the FETs.

Even if it settles lower at load, it will still be almost twice the current and 7VPP more than a default M3 can manage. For a $250 commercial product, that is pretty freaking impressive.

So while I love healthy skepticism...... I am really hoping that the Asgard is good, because it will scare the bejesus out of other Emperor's-new-clothes manufacturers that charge a lot more for a lot less.

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #1,968 of 18,459
Asgard owners manual = Hysterical !
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #1,969 of 18,459

Quote:
Even if it settles lower at load, it will still be almost twice the current and 7VPP more than a default M3 can manage. For a $250 commercial product, that is pretty freaking impressive.

So while I love healthy skepticism...... I am really hoping that the Asgard is good, because it will scare the bejesus out of other Emperor's-new-clothes manufacturers that charge a lot more for a lot less.

I'm hoping it's the Schiit!!

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #1,970 of 18,459
Yeah I had a look at their website. Can't say I'm crazy about the name but the company has character, seems to understand it's a small knit community and is offering the goods at a nice price point.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #1,971 of 18,459

Quote:
If you listened to my rig I would make you wear a diaper...cause' you'd poop yourself! And then throw rocks at the other phones on your list!! 

Hey achristlaw have you tried the LCD-2 with your Lisa lll?  I have an xcan v3 and the Lisa lll that may work for these but i am sure from the posting that my Zana Duex OLT won't be a good match.  If the Lisa with the LLP would work, then the LCD-2 may make it onto my list or at least I will have to find a pair to hear....thanks!

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #1,972 of 18,459
The Schiit Asgard sounds promising. Is anyone auditioning one soon with the LCD-2? At $250 it's hella affordable. Plus the 15-day money back guarantee makes it tempting. Even if it doesn't unleash the LCD-2 maximum potential, as long as it shows 85-90% I think I'll be happy. I think I'm only getting about 50-65% with the D10.

I actually like the name, it's pretty clever. 

edit: just read the earlier posts..looking forward to your guys impressions on the Schiit. 
smile.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #1,974 of 18,459

Quote:
For myself, I don't expect the world from the schiit, a tough and competent amp is what I want. Something that I can rough-house a bit without worrying. I already have some awesome amps so this isn't a competitor, but a cheap amp with a purpose in mind. I'll probably also increase it's sinking with a bolt-on set of fins to keep it's running temp good. Easy enough to do and it will be perfect for what I want. Let's be honest here, we're not really advocating a $250 amp as the perfect hi-end amp for the likes of the LCD-2. It needs to be good enough to serve it's purpose at a price where we can afford to forgive that it might not be a top-tier amp. I have no unrealistic expectations and I'm sure Kevin agrees.

Agreed.  While I have no unrealistic expectations, I am an endless optimist, and I would love to see this Schiit upset the apple cart!  If it does happen to upset the apple cart, imagine what a more, cost no object, design from them could do!
k

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #1,975 of 18,459

Quote:
Hey achristlaw have you tried the LCD-2 with your Lisa lll?  I have an xcan v3 and the Lisa lll that may work for these but i am sure from the posting that my Zana Duex OLT won't be a good match.  If the Lisa with the LLP would work, then the LCD-2 may make it onto my list or at least I will have to find a pair to hear....thanks!

I shall give them a shout this eve' and report back!

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #1,976 of 18,459
This thread isn't fair as it only adds to my impatience as I anxiously await receiving the email that says my pair are ready (pre-ordered on June 7).
Hopefully before the summer is over, or a welcome start to the fall.  What seems to be the time from preorder to shipment ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back