Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 13, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #16,741 of 18,459
I use FM frequency noise between radio stations to burn-in. Pardon my ignorance, is that white noise or pink noise? Or it's something else?

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #16,742 of 18,459

Quote:

I like the look of the leather too. Just curious, do you have a full head of hair or is there some skin up there?

Lots of hair... can't be balding at 17 now can we? 
cool.gif

The leather was initially very comfortable for me, but I find around the 40min mark I can feel the bumps really digging into my skull and it's very unpleasant. The leather just isn't that high quality. The foam headband, as unsightly as it may be, is actually very comfortable for me. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #16,743 of 18,459
I actually don't have much trouble even though I have glasses, I just lift up one side of the headphone fit my glasses in let go, than repeat with other side and whala comfort for however long I wanna listen.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #16,744 of 18,459
I use FM frequency noise between radio stations to burn-in. Pardon my ignorance, is that white noise or pink noise? Or it's something else?

Here you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise
Radio static is white noise I think.

Aug 13, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #16,745 of 18,459

Quote:
goofyvic said:

Question: Is White Noise the same as radio static?
Answer: No - radio static is just that - random static. It does not cover the entire audio spectrum nor is it consistent enough to be used practically for measurements. White Noise is random equally over the 20 - 20khz spectrum and has a 'smooth' color, as opposed to the cracking and popping associated with radio noise.

Also interesting: The U.S. Government suggests White Noise for Tinnitus sufferers.

http://www.rainfall.com/cdroms/cat2.htm

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #16,746 of 18,459
Quote:
If you use white noise to burn in give it some rest from time to time, white noise at high volume played non stop may damage drivers.

Quote:
Or even better, don't use white noise to burn in, use pink noise.
White noise can potentially damage your drivers.

I've always used music, and quite enjoyed leaving the set-up at night knowing the cans will be enjoying some of my fave artists :¬)

Is there any evidence of noise damaging drivers? Regardless, I'll stick with music.

WA - in your opinion, how much of the creaminess comes back after 200+ hours of burn in? 

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #16,747 of 18,459
Quote:

Quote:

I've always used music, and quite enjoyed leaving the set-up at night knowing the cans will be enjoying some of my fave artists :¬)

Is there any evidence of noise damaging drivers? Regardless, I'll stick with music.

WA - in your opinion, how much of the creaminess comes back after 200+ hours of burn in? 

Kwarth tells me that damaging the LCD-2 with white noise or any kind of audio signal is very highly unlikely and I fully agree with him. If you are talking about all audio transducers, you can damage some of them with white noise.

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #16,748 of 18,459
Is the rev.2 good enough to buy? I met some opinions that it has more trebles and I'm very sensitive to excessive trebles
I can't explore all 1100+ pages here so give me a links with reviews if there're any in this thread.

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #16,749 of 18,459
if you mean "very". I suggest you leave it alone.  If you have rev.1 stay with it. if you have neither, rev.1 (of course, that can only be bought from other users) is a better choice for you.
Quote:
Is the rev.2 good enough to buy? I met some opinions that it has more trebles and I'm very sensitive to excessive trebles
I can't explore all 1100+ pages here so give me a links with reviews if there're any in this thread.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #16,750 of 18,459

Quote:

For me, Rev 2 has does NOT have excessive treble.  I certainly wouldn't want any less than what's there.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #16,751 of 18,459

Quote:

The energy distribution from FM interstation noise most closely resembles white noise and if you keep volume levels at or below what you can comfortable listen to, you'll have no problems.  I personally like to use music better for burn-in.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #16,752 of 18,459
The energy distribution from FM interstation noise most closely resembles white noise and if you keep volume levels at or below what you can comfortable listen to, you'll have no problems.  I personally like to use music better for burn-in.

Thanks for the info. Cheers! :)

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #16,753 of 18,459
Quote:
kwkarth said:

Quote:
khaos974 said:

Quote:
goofyvic said:

Radio static is NOT the same as white noise, and Wikipedia does NOT say that it is.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #16,755 of 18,459

Quote:
Radio static is NOT the same as white noise, and Wikipedia does NOT say that it is.

Wiki is obviously referring to AM interstation noise and in the strictest sense, not in generalities.  Read my post again, I think you must have missed most of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back