Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #16,126 of 18,459

Quote:

On the one hand, I see why Audeze has stuck with the LCD-2 designation for this revision.  On the other hand, part of me is surprised this didn't end up being called the LCD-3.

i agree with you
i had the rev.1 and i hope the rev.2 soon.
if the sonic signature is different, why not a headphone called lcd-3???
what is the problem'
hifiman have various models outwardly identical but with different sound

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #16,127 of 18,459
Hmm, I wonder, listening to some of the thoughts about the rev2's. I hope against all hope that Audeze not been listening to a fashion trend train of thought like in the watch industry. The trend for watches is bigger is better, at least it is on the forums where sports watches rule the day and everything below 40mm is regarded as too small and not a mans watch (forget that some of the greatest "real men" in history wore watches that were no more than 36mm and often much less.

The watch industry has pandered to this movement and are beginning to regret it to some extent as they have realized there is a much larger silent majority who are more than happy with 36mm or smaller watches Rolex's best selling model if you were to take a head count from forums is the Sub, or watches of that size but in fact it is the 36mm datejust by a very large margin!

Larger watches (though no one will admit it, I know i did not for a number of years) are more uncomfortable to wear, harder to wear under a shirt sleeve and to most non forum member eyes look ridiculous, not my words but those of many friends I have asked who are not into watches.

The same can be said of headphones, Forum members on the whole like brighter headphones, they like the sort of headphones one uses in studios (from what I have seen here anyway) they like HiFi magazine headphones (just look at most of the HiFi magazines, they love the K701's and HD800's. I have owned the 701's, nice headphones but far too revealing to be long term listeners. and the HD800's for me were just not wonderful, I flirted with them for a while and initially I was drawn in by their HIfI-ness but after one longer listening session I just did not want to hear music again for a while as I was not relaxed, just tired from the effort to listen to every ruddy detail.

With my rev1's I have the perfect balance, they managed to walk the line between mellow and long term listening enjoyment but with enough detail to be able to see the instruments, feel the finger strikes or positioning of stick on drum but also allow me to absorb into the music eventually forgetting about the details and just enjoying the emotion. I really hope the rev2 is not some sort of HD800 wannabe now or has become too light, too airy or too forum friendly!

I know I wake up each day and say a little prayer my drivers do not give up the ghost as I really don't think I could stand not having that creamy presentation of the rev 1's in exchange for the traits of the rev2's...

Quite a lot of us on the forums like smaller watches Audeze. We just are not as vocal as the big and brash brigade! :wink: :D

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #16,128 of 18,459

Quote:
I know I wake up each day and say a little prayer my drivers do not give up the ghost as I really don't think I could stand not having that creamy presentation of the rev 1's in exchange for the traits of the rev2's...

Quite a lot of us on the forums like smaller watches Audeze. We just are not as vocal as the big and brash brigade!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Why don't you wait until you hear a pair of Rev.2s first before posting something like this? Seriously... unless you've heard them and have first hand experience then statements like this come off at best as silly and at worst as ignorant.

Who knows, even a "small watch" person like you may like the Rev.2s better than the Rev.1s. Give them a try at a meet or something and then report back to us.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #16,129 of 18,459
Hi Ian, I'm getting the sense you don't like rev1 vs rev2 comparisons, rev2 purchases or us brash folk 
biggrin.gif
.  I don't think the rev2 are a huge departure from rev1 so in my opinion Audeze is not trying to appease those who want brighter headphones.  Maybe my ear is not refined enough because I don't find the rev2 brighter or being hard-edged.  Can we have detail or speed without brightness?  I don't know if it's burn-in or mental acclimation but I'm finding that the rev2 are smooth/creamy and can be listened to for hours with ease.  Is it more creamy than rev1?  Probably not.  I had both rev1 and rev2, ended up selling rev1.  Main reason being that I realistically can only focus on one headphone.  I'm not going to go back and forth between cans.  Simplicity is key for some of us newbies: one amp, one headphone, one DAC.  At the time of my rev1 vs rev2 review it was the rev1 that was my clear favorite.  After 2 weeks the rev2 was preferred.  Before I sold the rev1 I listened one last time.  Pretty awesome headphones.  Let's just say I pulled my rev1 ad multiple times before letting them go but in the end I only have enough love for one headphone at a time.  

If I had never purchased the rev2 I would have been just fine to have the rev1 forever.  Curiosity rather than the need to upgrade drove me to rev2.  For me, I've never tried anything higher-end than the HD650, HE-4, and rev1,  therefore rev2 was a chance for another headphone experience.  I'm stuck on Audeze now, I like the sound signature, rev1 & 2.  Moral of the story, if there's curiosity then go for it.  Nothing to lose.  If there is an urge to upgrade, probably not necessary, rev1 is a beast.   I probably will try the LCD-3 down the road.  Sorry Ian, I know I'll be curious to hear what Audeze is up to.  If we don't try new things then there is no chance to gain new experiences.  The new experience could be better or worse or lateral.  I think most of us realize that with any new purchase.  So, it's a fine line between the need to upgrade and curiosity.  Could be the same thing.  Maybe all of this is flawed logic but doesn't really hurt anyone except maybe a hamster or two.  

Quote:
With my rev1's I have the perfect balance, they managed to walk the line between mellow and long term listening enjoyment but with enough detail to be able to see the instruments, feel the finger strikes or positioning of stick on drum but also allow me to absorb into the music eventually forgetting about the details and just enjoying the emotion. I really hope the rev2 is not some sort of HD800 wannabe now or has become too light, too airy or too forum friendly!

Quite a lot of us on the forums like smaller watches Audeze. We just are not as vocal as the big and brash brigade!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #16,130 of 18,459
Hey guys!

Just purchased a pair of Aude'ze LCD2s today!
Loving them so far!

But I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a case that is capable of fitting them?
For example the Large Hippo case that Jaben Sells?

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #16,131 of 18,459
Search this thread with the word "Pelican" and you should find a string of posts around a few various cases that fit them, along with the one that Audeze sells at a much higher price.  Pelican cases are excellent, and there are also less expensive alternatives.  You can also select a case that holds more than just your cans.  I have a Pelican case that can hold cans, amp (well, my amp anyway), Squeezebox Touch and an external hard drive and all associated cords.  It is a carry-on size for airlines to boot. 

Quote:
Hey guys!

Loving them so far!

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #16,132 of 18,459

Larger watches have been around as long as watches have practically.  They actually started out pretty large, but when once technology offered a choice, and the trend was to make watches more compact, there were still large offerings for those for whom reading the time instantly at a glance was more critical - most notably for the military.  Railroaders are traditionally connected with the even larger pocket watch, again, where a fast read and precision were to be the primary design concerns.  Later on pilots watches were always made large and stark in design (usually large, luminous hands on a black face and a very large case/face), while some of those watches worn by pilots and and crew were meant to be worn on ones leg (and obviously were too large to wear on ones arm). Mariners and divers also benefited from the fast read and more easily manipulated controls of a larger faced watch.  I think the current trend towards the larger faces really got fueled by Panerai, the long-established Italian company that built on its watches that were originally designed for the Italian navy.  Of course there are many companies making great military and divers watches that have been popular, but Panerai really seemed to hit the movers and shakers who might otherwise be donning a (ho-hum) Rolex.  They are the watch equivalent of a Hummer - 99% of those wearing them will ever take advantage of any of the design features that they incorporate.  It is a trend toward the ostentatious, overbuilt, bomb-proof illusion of permanence and look-at-me and all the money I can spend on ornaments!  This is from someone who wears a military watch (alas, mine's a puny 40mm).  Of course there are those like me who are just drawn to the visual beauty and simplicity of those designs.  I like some of the Panerai watches, but I do think they look a bit like a clowns watch when worn by some.  Yes, they don't look very comfortable either.

All that said, LCD-2's kind of remind me of the military watches in some respect.  They're oversized cups and form-follows function design using very basic utilitarian design...it all strikes me as simple and basic as an old military watch from WW I, with the oversized hands and crown:

An that reminds me, why haven't the shrapnel guards made a big comeback?!  Nothing says that you're really prepared for the worst, like a fine shrapnel guard on your oversized watch!

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by ianmedium /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm, I wonder, listening to some of the thoughts about the rev2's. I hope against all hope that Audeze not been listening to a fashion trend train of thought like in the watch industry. The trend for watches is bigger is better, at least it is on the forums where sports watches rule the day and everything below 40mm is regarded as too small and not a mans watch (forget that some of the greatest "real men" in history wore watches that were no more than 36mm and often much less.

The watch industry has pandered to this movement and are beginning to regret it to some extent as they have realized there is a much larger silent majority who are more than happy with 36mm or smaller watches Rolex's best selling model if you were to take a head count from forums is the Sub, or watches of that size but in fact it is the 36mm datejust by a very large margin!

Larger watches (though no one will admit it, I know i did not for a number of years) are more uncomfortable to wear, harder to wear under a shirt sleeve and to most non forum member eyes look ridiculous, not my words but those of many friends I have asked who are not into watches.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #16,133 of 18,459
Pelican 1500 costs more than Audeze's case but I wanted to carry more than just the the LCD2's. My Dacmini power cord and LCD2 cable are located under Dacmini, each separated by a layer of foam.  Dacmini power supply and USB cable front left. 

Quote:
Hey guys!

Loving them so far!

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #16,135 of 18,459
The Pelican "Pick and Pluck" is partially pre-cut in a 3-D grid pattern.  Picking and plucking did not work so well for me.  Instead, I laid out my gear to find the positions I wanted, marked the perimeters with toothpicks, and simply slid a butter knife and/or my finger through the foam semi-attachments to the length and depth needed.  In my case, I separated the full depth of the main block for all three compartments; there is another thinner foam sheet below the main block you should not change.  Note there is a 1 inch area of foam around the outermost length X width that you cannot remove.  When making your measurements, take this into consideration.  Save the excavated foam for separating compartments or modding other headphones.

Quote:
Neat. :) What do you use to cut out that foam?

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #16,136 of 18,459

LCD-2 rev1 and rev2 sound comparison

Here are my findings so far re. the rev1 and rev2 (the new pads were installed on both models):

I felt more of a 'wow' factor with the rev1 than the rev2, mainly in terms of the 'new toy phase' of hearing the LCD-2 for the first time. As my perceptions became more balanced, I began to see each headphone as it is and see the pros and cons of each, which are subjective to different people e.g. the inside-the-head force the rev1 presents music with could at the same time sound slightly constricting to person A, and more of a liberating-sea-of-music-to-swim-in to person B.

The rev1 I had was quite forward in terms of force to the point of presenting music across more inside-the-head than outside-the-head, and I found the bass to be slightly boomier than natural and the treble to lack in a little bit of extension in relation to natural. But the rev1 sounded closer overall to 'natural' tonality - what I hear with my ear when at a concert or listening to high-end-studio monitor playback - that the rev2 does. The slightly bass-centric sound seems to make the rev1. a less musically versatile headphones than the rev2, and probably makes the rev1 best suited to someone who wants a flagship headphone for a specific listening purpose, which tends to be more visceral and immersive, such as intimacy with vocal music or rocking out.

The rev2 sounds more laid-back in terms of force, but not lacking in force, and I find the bass to have more clarity and the treble to have more extension. But the changes in sound, perhaps due the new driver, make the rev2 sound brighter than natural, and perhaps slightly artificial sounding. But the the rev2 is very accurate and sounds like it has more even frequency levels/balance across the entire frequency range it presents, which makes it a more musically versatile headphone than the rev1. The rev2. seems more suited to being the headphone of choice for someone who would love only one flagship headphone that reproduces recordings with excellence. 

My observations are presented here as the truth as I see it. I think the LCD-2 is probably the best headphone I've yet heard, and I'm very grateful that I have an LCD-2.

Thanks again, Alex and Sankar.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #16,137 of 18,459
This thread is going fast.. I cant catch up anymore...
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #16,138 of 18,459
Thanks for your review Windsor, your allaying my fears of what I thought might be the case.As to the watch analogy, I know big watches are not new but that was not the point I was trying to make and heck if you like big watches great, it's just the illusion that everybody likes big watches when in fact the majority don't ( if you look at all watch sales) but often because that minority are more vocal they are perceived to be the trend! Anyway, I just had to get it out there, if you don't agree fine but the response kind of prove my point :wink:

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #16,140 of 18,459

Quote:
Thanks for your review Windsor, your allaying my fears of what I thought might be the case.As to the watch analogy, I know big watches are not new but that was not the point I was trying to make and heck if you like big watches great, it's just the illusion that everybody likes big watches when in fact the majority don't ( if you look at all watch sales) but often because that minority are more vocal they are perceived to be the trend! Anyway, I just had to get it out there, if you don't agree fine but the response kind of prove my point
wink.gif

I don't think it's that everyone like's big watches that makes it seem like a minority being "vocal".  I think farkle like big watches and hummers stand out from the "average" and that's part of the reason they are so embraced.  Because they stand out they are often noted and prominently displayed in media and in "all the right places".  The media craves to take advantage of and promote whatever is new and different.   It doesn't have to do with anyone being more vocal, it's that as a society we've allowed a chosen few dictate what's 'right' for the rest of us.  I'm not speaking of anyone specific but that's the sense I get of it.  Once folks get tired of one trend because of overexposure (it becomes  more known and ordinary) there will be another one. You can be sure it will be one, whether ordinary or extraordinary, where the cost will become highly elevated, and that will set those at the cutting edge of the new, hip and fashionable apart from the unwashed masses.  Back in the 70's I remember oversized divers watches being very trendy.  Blue jeans were once utilitarian and ordinary work clothes - now they command several hundred dollars a pair if they have the right back pockets on them.  When Grunge gave ordinary work clothes like a plaid shirt, an entirely different audience and popularity, designers picked up that golden egg and ran with it for a short while.  Plaid was hip.  I really don't get out that much to really see such things, and I don't live in L.A. or N.Y. or some other metropolis where there's far more people willing to part with their money in order to stand out from the ordinary. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back