Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #15,061 of 18,459
Quote:
Wait a second. I never claimed to have superhuman aural memory.  My grey (or gray) matter and hearing is no different than anyone one else's.  I don't have a golden ear.  All I have is 2.5 decades of moment by moment, hour by hour, day by day of tortured experience inside an edit suite cutting audio and exercising and obtaining an aural memory, which helped pay my mortgage.  Anyone can go thru that and do that but I don't recommend it.  In fact I wouldn't even wish it upon a Head-Case member.   

All I can say is that I can compare the two from memory.  I use a number of the same select tracks that I have used through the years to form impressions constantly with speakers, amps, interconnects and the LCD's I even made it a point to closely examine a number of those tracks with the r.1 in all aspects of the sonic landscape in order listen for the same qualities in the r.2

If you don't have an amp you can turn over, an interconnect will do.  
tongue.gif

I think you will really enjoy reading this, it makes you ponder how a headphone portrays a soundstage.

Yeah dude, I never "not believed you on what you were hearing" at all, it would be very low of me to think that.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #15,062 of 18,459

Quote:
blink.gif

Don't know what you smoked that evening, but nobody called you an audio snob.
I did call your opinion (not you) that day to be negative to many head-fiers because you translated trying a lot of headphones into calling 'audio nervosa', like nobody enjoys himself here, but you (because obviously, you picked the ideal headphone right away, in which I do have to say you're right, lol).

But sorry mate, you didn't hurt me or anything, you made a fool out of yourself when you couldn't keep it at opinions about things but had to write things like 'go play your drums', when you were out of arguments.

I just couldn't help myself to react when you went crying about rudeness on a website
biggrin.gif

Sorry for that, I will go back playing my drums..

My deepest apologies once again.  Sometimes a post can be written the wrong way , then taken the wrong way and then everything is the wrong way and before you know it what one was smoking doesn't help all the wrong turns...

Tell me though have you gotten any better with those drums?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #15,064 of 18,459

Quote:
WA, I bet you'd love the SR507 if you're a detail whore (you said it not me).  They have the speed of stax and a sound signature that emphasizes detail with a bit of treble exaggeration and a bit less bass.  You might even like them more than the O2's, since the O2's have a more balanced signature that doesn't emphasize anything.  I'm not sure the LCD-2 is the best choice for your priorities.  Not that they aren't detailed, but that's not their top priority, they aim to maintain weight and even FR (a certain perspective on even FR at least) as well.

There's an SR-507 in the F/S forums right now too. 

Of course HD800 and HE6 would also be good choices for the clarity/detail lover. 

Stop tempting me Devil!  

Has anyone read this review.  Windsor just sent it to me about an hour ago.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/559542/i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-i-ve-ever-heard

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #15,066 of 18,459

Quote:

Has anyone read this review.  Windsor just sent it to me about an hour ago.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/559542/i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-i-ve-ever-heard

Be aware that this is a review posted by a MOT who sells them. I believe it being posted in the main headphones forum is a direct violation of the MOT rules but maybe that's changed.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #15,067 of 18,459

Quote:
Be aware that this is a review posted by a MOT who sells them. I believe it being posted in the main headphones forum is a direct violation of the MOT rules but maybe that's changed.

Has David always been a MOT?  I don't remember.  I thought he was a well respected Head-Fi member who worked as an audio ENG. in the NYC area and collected a lot of headphones.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #15,068 of 18,459

Quote:
Has David always been a MOT?  I don't remember.  I thought he was a well respected Head-Fi member who worked as an audio ENG. in the NYC area and collected a lot of headphones.

No, he only recently started working for Headphones.com.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #15,069 of 18,459

Quote:

I think you will really enjoy reading this, it makes you ponder how a headphone portrays a soundstage.

Yeah dude, I never "not believed you on what you were hearing" at all, it would be very low of me to think that. I was just trying to point out how one does not simply walk into Head Case =P

Great link.  Thanks for that, deadlylover.  I skimmed his well-written essay and will have to revisit when I have more time.  Very interesting and well thought out and written. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #15,070 of 18,459
That review deadlylover linked to is some really good stuff.  One of the best posts you'll ever find on this site, even if you have no interest in the headphones mentioned.  It should be mandatory reading. :p

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #15,071 of 18,459
I'm done following this thread.. There's so many posts  I won't have any free time left in my day lol

Year 2011: Audeze LCD 2 FTW..no matter what version

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #15,072 of 18,459
Any one tried the Crystal Piccolino on the LCD2? I know it costs more than the LCD2 itself but if it has the Crystal sound signature I would seriously consider.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #15,074 of 18,459
Man i just found my soul mate lol this is exactly what i told WA when we discussed the REv1./v2 over pms. lol 

Quote:
Pads on LCD2s are hand-made, resulting in dysymetries and irregularities, but :

Classic : the foam inside the pad was hand cutted
Rev1  : the foam is industrially cutted for more precision and consistence, couture is still handmade

Tyll posted a pic comparing the two pads, despite the "classic" pads looking thinner, in fact they make the same angle

Then there is two groups of people, the ones who believe they noticed a sound change between their old version and the rev1 and the ones who don't...I cannot say exactly the pourcentages but i believe the latter group is more ponderous
ph34r.gif

If the pads don't make a change (since the angle is the same) there is no point making a distinction classic/rev1.
To add a little spice, the grill changed too, and that could have affect the sound (try covering one grill with your hand and you'll notice dramatical sonic channge)

On REV1/REV2 : after reading all the posts, i decided to keep my rev1 :

-creamy vocals oh yeah, they are 'in my head' it's involving
-i discovered i really hate brightness, i tried many times to eq the 2s adding a little bit high frequencies, it always translated in a more fatiguing sound. The ability for a headphone to be non-fatiguing is something i under-estimated before. I can listen rev1 for hours, even cranking up the volume, without having those ear-piercing highs that i hate so much. I understand rev2 does not add brightness for some, but i really don't wanna take the risk since i already find rev1 "perfect" for me.
-I'm not so fond of details as i thought i was. Most of the records i own have a lot of flaws (and i believe that is like >95% recordings have really significant artefacts/popping sounds,etc...) and i'm not sure i want to take all the defects of the record in my face, being able to listen only to the best audiophile quality recordings...
-last night for the first time i cried listening to my headphones...not because of the music, but because of the sound, the way it was portrayed by the LCD2...i think i turned an audiophile last night...
-maybe the rev1 has become somewhat 'unique' in the way they portray the sound (especially on vocals)
-remember i'm not saying that rev2 does not present the qualities i stated, i just don't wanna take the risk of losing them :wink:

On comfort : yes the LCD2 is heavy, but it is the most comfortable headphones i own (DT880, K701, HD650). With every other headphones, i'll find that they'll hurt somewhere around my head in less than an hour whereas i can wear the LCD2 as long as i want.

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #15,075 of 18,459
These headphones are absolute bliss. I thank this thread and all of the head-fiers that contributed to the reviews and what-not. It was a hefty price, and I probably wouldn't have bought them had I not seen all the rave reviews and praise. My library of music's never sounded so great
smily_headphones1.gif

Impressions out of the box weren't groundbreaking... In fact it was actually a little disappointing, but after having gotten used to them over the past week, it's just been a bit of nirvana everytime I put em on.

Cheers to Audeze! It feels great and sounds great to have and listen to a work of art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back