Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #15,046 of 18,459

Quote:
    Quote:

Just wondering if anyone has any more thoughts on this.

I may be the wrong one to ask as I'm not a fan of either of the HD-6X0 cans (I found both rather uninspiring and neither really engaged me at all - owned HD600's with Cardas and stock cable for a few months and sold it. Have only heard HD650's at length owned by others, and with only a few different amps). I'm surprised that, if you've spent time with the r.1 that you'd even ask the question.  I find the Audeze (either version) more immediate and engaging.  Vocals seem more natural, especially on the r.1, erring on the side of more detail on the r.2, than either Senn.  Both Audeze occur to me as more lively cans...they suck me in more than the Senns ever could.   The Senn's, if memory serves, seemed a bit more laid back and a bit veiled...kind of flat.  That said, a very respected manufacturer of amps I know uses the HD600's as his reference standard of a neutral headphone and did not like my r.1 in comparison.  Obviously plenty of folks like the Senns.  Since you asked, I thought I'd offer my thoughts.  My opinion is that you should make your own decision based upon how you hear them, not what others think. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #15,047 of 18,459
Quote:
I may have only heard the LCD-2 r.1, and the LCD r.2 but I wouldn't say I'm inexperienced and definitely wouldn't add "simply" into that statement.  In fact without rehashing my actual real world experience in  broadcast television and audio I'm probably as experienced in aural recall as anyone in any of these threads to be able to compare one version of the LCD with another version without having them side by side. 

I don't doubt that you know what you are talking about when it comes to tonality, but imaging/soundstaging with headphones is a completely different ballgame.

It's not unfair to say that you simply don't have enough experience with different types of headphones to say whether or not the LCD-2's are good at imaging/soundstaging or not, and especially more so when you are only 'comparing' between the two. I'm only saying this because your post was trying to sound more like a full fledged review than just some quick and useful impressions.

Quote:
When switching from foam headband to the new leather one, I'm pretty aware of those bumps, but after 5 minutes I'm able to forget.

Awesome, I couldn't tell from the pictures if they were squishy or not =P, we certainly don't want another K701 on our heads here, heh.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #15,048 of 18,459

Quote:
Err, maybe not the best time to ask this....
I have a specific question regarding the LCD-2. I want a phone specifically for classical symphonic music. The one thing I crave is great imaging. Would the LCD-2 be a significant step up from Senn HD600 in this regard?

For symphonic and great imaging you might want to try HD800's instead.  My only warning is that the staging can be a bit out-of-head, and may take some getting used to (or you might not like it).  To me the HD800's do classical music more to my liking than either version of LCD-2's, and yes, certainly better than HD600's (see my previous post there - obviously I'm biased).  YMMV.  Another good can for classical and imaging are GS1000's, but I did not find them good for much else, or rather they could be handily bested by other cans for the various other genres.  This is not the case with the HD800's, or rather it would put up more of an argument to that point.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #15,049 of 18,459

Quote:

I may be the wrong one to ask as I'm not a fan of either of the HD-6X0 cans (I found both rather uninspiring and neither really engaged me at all - owned HD600's with Cardas and stock cable for a few months and sold it. Have only heard HD650's at length owned by others, and with only a few different amps). I'm surprised that, if you've spent time with the r.1 that you'd even ask the question.  I find the Audeze (either version) more immediate and engaging.  Vocals seem more natural, especially on the r.1, erring on the side of more detail on the r.2, than either Senn.  Both Audeze occur to me as more lively cans...they suck me in more than the Senns ever could.   The Senn's, if memory serves, seemed a bit more laid back and a bit veiled...kind of flat.  That said, a very respected manufacturer of amps I know uses the HD600's as his reference standard of a neutral headphone and did not like my r.1 in comparison.  Obviously plenty of folks like the Senns.  Since you asked, I thought I'd offer my thoughts.  My opinion is that you should make your own decision based upon how you hear them, not what others think. 

I do what I can to trust my own wisdom and will base my decision based on that. I am open to the perspectives of others though, hence my asking the question.
Thanks for your response, Jax, and nice avatar, btw. :)

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #15,050 of 18,459
Quote:
Err, maybe not the best time to ask this....
I have a specific question regarding the LCD-2. I want a phone specifically for classical symphonic music. The one thing I crave is great imaging. Would the LCD-2 be a significant step up from Senn HD600 in this regard?

This headphone might be worth trying.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/559542/i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-i-ve-ever-heard/15#post_7595831

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #15,051 of 18,459

Quote:

Sorry about that!  Must have been the calling me an "audio snob" thing that did it.  My apologies because I found out that I was an audio snob when I picked up a Marantz 2215b receiver at a garage sale for $5 and when I brought it home and plugged it in I discovered a sound so smooth and seductive I couldn't stop listening.  I felt embarressed becuase I was going to give it to my daughter without even the possibility of considering that it might sound so wonderful.  That when I said to myself Proglover was right.
redface.gif
       And guess what?  I kept that Marantz for myself! 

blink.gif

Don't know what you smoked that evening, but nobody called you an audio snob.
I did call your opinion (not you) that day to be negative to many head-fiers because you translated trying a lot of headphones into calling 'audio nervosa', like nobody enjoys himself here, but you (because obviously, you picked the ideal headphone right away, in which I do have to say you're right, lol).

But sorry mate, you didn't hurt me or anything, you made a fool out of yourself when you couldn't keep it at opinions about things but had to write things like 'go play your drums', when you were out of arguments.

I just couldn't help myself to react when you went crying about rudeness on a website
biggrin.gif

Sorry for that, I will go back playing my drums..

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #15,053 of 18,459

Quote:

I don't doubt that you know what you are talking about when it comes to tonality, but imaging/soundstaging with headphones is a completely different ballgame.

It's not unfair to say that you simply don't have enough experience with different types of headphones to say whether or not the LCD-2's are good at imaging/soundstaging or not, and especially more so when you are only 'comparing' between the two. I'm only saying this because your post was trying to sound more like a full fledged review than just some quick and useful impressions.

Actually the post was headlined "Impressions", and done intentionally so as not to be mistaken for a review. A review would have included far more content and spanned a range of many different music tracks and a comparison to other headphones and another amp. An impression is just that.    

Also you have it entirely wrong, imaging and soundstaging with headphones is the same game, just a different type of ballpark thats all. The rules of observation are the same.  And since you brought up the subject of aural memory and inexperience I have to say without meaning to be disrespectful to anyone that in some ways I have to actually discount reviews or impressions of any headphone when comparisons are made through the machine gun staccato method of pulling off one can and quickly putting on another can to compare sonic differences before the memory fades away.  If anything that method shows by its very practice poor aural retention.  

I am willing to bet you your headphone amp right now that many people in this thread after having heard the r.1 and the r.2 side by side will say that my impression of the r.1 and r.2  from memory was accurate. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #15,054 of 18,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

snip

I am willing to bet you your headphone amp right now that many people in this thread after having heard the r.1 and the r.2 side by side will say that my impression of the r.1 and r.2  from memory was accurate. 

I don't think you will want any of my amps, as I only have stat amps, I gave my balanced b22 away because I don't have a dynamic anymore.
tongue.gif

I completely agree with you on about the problems of quickly swapping back and forth, but without a reference point, how does one know where things currently stand? That's the only problem I had with your post. I believe you when you say you have superhuman aural memory and are immune to placebo, but I think your impressions would carry a little more weight if you could confirm them with the r.1 side by side.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #15,055 of 18,459

The 1967-1972 albums are ground breaking essential  and if may, "spiritual".  That being said the "The Present" is not bad and well produced though certainly not in the same league as 67-72.

Quote:

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #15,056 of 18,459
I find the HD650 to have a bit more sound stage then the LCD-2 r1s.  I am keeping mine as I invested in a balanced cord and still like to put them on from time to time to contrast a different flavor from the LCDs.  The LCD r2's sound stage is broader than the r1's and therefore closer to the HD650s.  I should have prefaced all of the above is with a fully balanced rig.

Quote:
I'm still enjoying the LCD-2 r.1 loaner pair that I have and and most probably going to buy the LCD-2 r.2 at the end of the month, as I'd quite like the LCD-2 response to be quicker in the bass and with more forward mids and treble extension/clarity.

I have a brief question - comparing the LCD-2 r.1 I currently have to the Sennheiser HD 650, it is clear that the HD 650 is slightly more forward, notably with more 'bite' in the mids. Does anyone here know how the LCD-2 r.2 compares to the HD 650?

Also, to assist the LCD-2 purchase, I'm probably going to sell both the Sennheiser HD 600 and the HD 650 that I have. Does anyone think that it may be worth keeping either of the Senns instead of selling them both?

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #15,057 of 18,459
WA's memory was spot on.  I have no allegiance to rev1 or rev2, I like them both and keeping them both.  His descriptions of rev2 mirrored my experience.  There will always be disagreements about the degree of any attribute (e.g. width of soundstage) but the general qualities of the rev2 driver were spot on.  This is also his field.  I imagine if someone gave me something in my field of expertise and had me evaluate it for a month, then gave me another example in the absence of the first sample I could do a very reasonable comparison.  Wouldn't be perfect but respectable.   

On a sidenote, WA, you cheatin' on us with another site?  Hamsters upset.  What's next, Hifiman HE-6 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #15,059 of 18,459

Quote:

I don't think you will want any of my amps, as I only have stat amps, I gave my balanced b22 away because I don't have a dynamic anymore.
tongue.gif

I completely agree with you on about the problems of quickly swapping back and forth, but without a reference point, how does one know where things currently stand? That's the only problem I had with your post. I believe you when you say you have superhuman aural memory and are immune to placebo, but I think your impressions would carry a little more weight if you could confirm them with the r.1 side by side.

Wait a second. I never claimed to have superhuman aural memory.  My grey (or gray) matter and hearing is no different than anyone one else's.  I don't have a golden ear.  All I have is 2.5 decades of moment by moment, hour by hour, day by day of tortured experience inside an edit suite cutting audio and exercising and obtaining an aural memory, which helped pay my mortgage.  Anyone can go thru that and do that but I don't recommend it.

All I can say is that I can compare the two from memory.  I use a number of the same select tracks that I have used through the years to form impressions constantly with speakers, amps, interconnects and the LCD's I even made it a point to closely examine a number of those tracks with the r.1 in all aspects of the sonic landscape in order listen for the same qualities in the r.2

If you don't have an amp you can turn over, an interconnect will do.  
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #15,060 of 18,459
WA, I bet you'd love the SR507 if you're a detail whore (you said it not me).  They have the speed of stax and a sound signature that emphasizes detail with a bit of treble exaggeration and a bit less bass.  You might even like them more than the O2's, since the O2's have a more balanced signature that doesn't emphasize anything.  I'm not sure the LCD-2 is the best choice for your priorities.  Not that they aren't detailed, but that's not their top priority, they aim to maintain weight and even FR (a certain perspective on even FR at least) as well.

There's an SR-507 in the F/S forums right now too. 

Of course HD800 and HE6 would also be good choices for the clarity/detail lover. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back