Audeze LCD 2 or Hifiman HE-500
Dec 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #16 of 37
http://www.head-fi.org/t/639785/he500-or-lcd2-or-both-please-share-your-impressions-mini-review

atsmile.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:
LCD 2 rev 2 vs He-500 huge difference at bass department ? how much percentage LCD 2 better at bass quantity and quality ? 

About the same in quantity; both are fairly linear/flat in bass response, it's just that LCD2 has less treble, so overall its bass tonality is more present because of that, relative to HE500 which has more treble. Also LCD2 has better extreme sub-bass extension (<20 Hz), although that ends up being only relevant in certain nuances in actual music.

As for bass quality, LCD2 bass is just tighter. This consequently translates to a more impactful bass. HE500 bass is fairly tight, certainly better than most headphones, but it's not Audeze tight. If you want supreme bass tightness + planar extension/texture, that is not an Audeze, then HE400s perform a bit better in that regard.

So yes, if you are a bass fiend, and listen to a lot of high-quality bassy music (instrumental, good synth, etc) then Audeze bass is pretty much the current apex in headphone bass, by a fair margin.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #18 of 37
no, i am not bass head, bass quality are better on lcd 2 huge difference better quality ? what about mids, i hear what he 500 has better mids than lcd 2 and lcd 2 better mid than he 500 What ? which headphones realy have better mids ? treble huge diference he 500 between lcd 2 rev 2 ? which headphones are better for rock, pop rock, 80-90years rock, vocals, pop, r&b, electronic, ex. Bryan Adams, Evanescence, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Linkin  park, Lana Del Rey, Bruno Mars, Celine Dion, Rihanna, 30 Second to Mars, Armin Van Buuren, Pitbull.?

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:
no, i am not bass head, bass quality are better on lcd 2 huge difference better quality ? what about mids, i hear what he 500 has better mids than lcd 2 and lcd 2 better mid than he 500 What ? which headphones realy have better mids ? treble huge diference he 500 between lcd 2 rev 2 ? which headphones are better for rock, pop rock, 80-90years rock, vocals, pop, r&b, electronic, ex. Bryan Adams, Evanescence, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Linkin  park, Lana Del Rey, Bruno Mars, Celine Dion, Rihanna, 30 Second to Mars, Armin Van Buuren, Pitbull.?

LCD2 has a thicker, more neutral and forward midrange. HE500 mids are more open-sounding and relaxed. Both midranges are pretty euphonic.

HE500 treble is brighter and sparklier than LCD, but both have very effortless and non-fatiguing treble, moreso than the vast majority of other headphones, especially compared to other flagships.

I'd say (and there is some consensus) that HE500 is more of a music genre master than LCD2. LCD2 is great for ensemble, live, electronic music, it excels hugely for those. But HE500 is really great for those (just not as supreme as Audezes) at the same time as all other genres which Audezes might underperform a little on.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #20 of 37
Metal and maybe electronica LCD-3 > every other headphone: bar none. LCD-2 much less so.
HE-500 similar to the Fostex T50RP Mad Dog: Well balanced, does nothing spectacularly good,
nor bad.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:
... HE500 is more of a music genre master than LCD2. LCD2 is great for ensemble, live, electronic music, it excels hugely for those. But HE500 is really great for those (just not as supreme as Audezes) at the same time as all other genres which Audezes might underperform a little on.

it depends on your taste, those genres you listed are suited more with LCD-2s. And if you really care about bass quantity or quality then go for the Audeze.

they both perform well with all genres, I'd say the Audeze perform perfectly in all genres. it's just what do you want more, HE-500(more treble & less bass) LCD2(less treble & more bass). The treble quality is about the same on both, but the bass quality goes for the LCD2s.IMO.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

it depends on your taste, those genres you listed are suited more with LCD-2s. And if you really care about bass quantity or quality then go for the Audeze.

they both perform well with all genres, I'd say the Audeze perform perfectly in all genres. it's just what do you want more, HE-500(more treble & less bass) LCD2(less treble & more bass). The treble quality is about the same on both, but the bass quality goes for the LCD2s.IMO.

I'd say the relatively closed-sounding attribute of LCD2s make it less than optimal for certain genres like orchestral / concert music, for my preferences. It's not just the tonality that is important for performing well in music.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #23 of 37
At my country both headphones are not available. I want to understand how sounding orthodynamic headphones before buying he500 or lcd 2. Tell me what dynamic headphones souding  much more like as LCD 2, HE500 orthordynamic headphones ?   

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:
At my country both headphones are not available?  I want to understand how sounding orthodynamic headphones before buying he500 or lcd 2? tell me what dynamic headphones souding  much more like  as LCD 2 HE500 orthordynamic headphones ?   

The HD650 is reminiscent of both. The LCD-2 is sometimes referred to as a HD650 on steroids.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #25 of 37
I think the reason why one hears conflicting opinions about the mids on LCD2 versus HE-500 is because the mids stand out really well on the HE-500s, but can feel like they are coming from across the room, instead of right in your ear, so to speak. Vocals can be eerily great on both headphones, and I actually feel like they are clearer on the HE-500s sometimes. But the distance you feel with the HE-500s may leave you wanting the relative closeness of the mids on the LCD2, even if the tone of the LCD is darker.  

Personally, I prefer the less dark ways of the HE-500 overall, so the compromise on distance to the mids is more than made up for by the way they stand out for me on the HE-500s. Also, some feel that that hint of distance also grants perspective, as one sometimes hears about headphones like the Fostex TH900. Of course, as most here are saying, it comes down to personal preference.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #26 of 37
Ever since i bought my Grado PS1000, my first gen GS1000 have been collecting dust, so i was thinking of selling them and get either the LCD2 or HE500, and  after reading a few reviews i'm kind of leaning towards the HE500, my question is,  i have a Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 Hybrid tube amp and was wondering if it would be powerfull enough to power either of these headphones?

Feel free to add your own comments, thanks

May 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #27 of 37
i am trying to find a uk stockist of both he-500 and lcd2, that can offer home trials with demo (burnt in) models.
anyone know of such a dealer?
have asked "hifilounge" and am awaiting a response.

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #28 of 37
looks like there isnt any.

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #30 of 37
Jerg are you evaluating the He500s based on your mods or a stock configuration?

I made those posts over a year ago, back then not only had I not come up with the mods yet, nor have I even owned a pair of HE500 yet. Those opinions were all based on 1) auditions of stock HE500 and stock LCD2, and 2) inferences from measurements over the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back