Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,486 of 13,134
Depends on which batch you got your LCD2's from. Early LCD2 rev 2 that came out straight after late rev.1's have a high crack rate. I cracked my late rev.1's on purpose (whilst modding so it was my fault), easy to fix, gives me a excuse to have finally sanded it down, applied a single coat of Jarrah oil stain to deepen the colour and just applied the first coat of polyurtherane today.

Bit more than just 10%, more like a good 20% of people had there's crack from the rev.1's to the rev.2's from the original LCD2 thread that ended up being locked to this one. It wasn't until they introduced bamboo and the metal connectors we stopped seeing rates of cracking. 

...lol that is a bit unsettling. I've been using mine for several months until i realized that there was a cracking issue for non angled. Atleast the odds are with me if u say 20%. Btw do you know if the crack effects the sounds of the headphones (or make it dysfunctional) or is it just a cosmetic marring that makes it look unplesant.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #1,487 of 13,134
Quote:
...lol that is a bit unsettling. I've been using mine for several months until i realized that there was a cracking issue for non angled. Atleast the odds are with me if u say 20%. Btw do you know if the crack effects the sounds of the headphones (or make it dysfunctional) or is it just a cosmetic marring that makes it look unplesant.

No it will not affect the sound, but if you have a full crack along the angled connector area get it fixed asap so you can still match the grains of the wood by epoxying, super gluing or loctiting the two separate pieces otherwise you will have a hard time trying to match it up again. It is a cosmetic marring unless you do what I've done, sand the housing down to it's natural dark rosewood colour and go forth with your own stain/oil/varnish from there onwards.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #1,488 of 13,134
I received my LCD-2r3 today.  I'm pretty sure it's the second best sounding headphone I've owned (slightly behind the SR-009).  What an incredible bargain for ~$800!

Just gotta figure out how to get it clamp my head less...

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #1,489 of 13,134
Quote:
I received my LCD-2r3 today.  I'm pretty sure it's the second best sounding headphone I've owned (slightly behind the SR-009).  What an incredible bargain for ~$800!

Just gotta figure out how to get it clamp my head less...

R3? Does that refer to the angled cables? The drivers are still at R2. 
size]

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,490 of 13,134
Aug 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #1,492 of 13,134
Quote:
does that mean LCD 3 will be the new second best sounding headphone later down the road?

It's very tempting at the moment.  There aren't really any deficiencies I can hear with the LCD-2 though, and from what I've read the differences don't seem to be an across-the-board improvement.

It's also a bit difficult to source the LCD-3s as they're out of stock everywhere.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,493 of 13,134
Quote:
does that mean LCD 3 will be the new second best sounding headphone later down the road?

It should be. Not 2x better like the price, but nothing is linear at this point. The SR-009s is a league above the LCD-3s IMHO. 
size]

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,494 of 13,134
Quote:

It's very tempting at the moment.  There aren't really any deficiencies I can hear with the LCD-2 though, and from what I've read the differences don't seem to be an across-the-board improvement.

It's also a bit difficult to source the LCD-3s as they're out of stock everywhere.

Yeah I've been tempted for the LCD3's as well.  You can find them on the FS forums here, its the price that's deterring me at the moment though.  I think next time they release a new revision there should be some good deals on current owners selling off for the new version.  Time will tell, and I can hope.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,495 of 13,134
Quote:
It should be. Not 2x better like the price, but nothing is linear at this point. The SR-009s is a league above the LCD-3s IMHO. 
size]

Stop tempting the newbies with the 009, not going to do there wallets any good. 
size]

On the other hand, IMHO I found not very large differences between the LCD3's and my modded rev.1's. Compared to a stock rev.2 the treble is a tad bit more clear and this probably could explain to the more distinctive soundstaging qualities but I didn't find it to be substantial enough for dropping half a grand on a LCD3, not to mention I'm a full time 24/7/52/365 year round stat convert. 

Knowing Audeze's quick releases (1-2 year timeframe), they will definitely have something new coming out soon.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #1,496 of 13,134
Stop tempting the newbies with the 009, not going to do there wallets any good. 
size]

On the other hand, IMHO I found not very large differences between the LCD3's and my modded rev.1's. Compared to a stock rev.2 the treble is a tad bit more clear and this probably could explain to the more distinctive soundstaging qualities but I didn't find it to be substantial enough for dropping half a grand on a LCD3, not to mention I'm a full time 24/7/52/365 year round stat convert. 

Knowing Audeze's quick releases (1-2 year timeframe), they will definitely have something new coming out soon.

The differences are quite a bit more than that on the right rig. I found the LCD-2 rev 1 sounded great out of almost anything. The LCD-3s are certainly a tougher nut to crack. :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #1,497 of 13,134
Yeah I've been tempted for the LCD3's as well.  You can find them on the FS forums here, its the price that's deterring me at the moment though.  I think next time they release a new revision there should be some good deals on current owners selling off for the new version.  Time will tell, and I can hope.

u talking about the audeze's new closed bak they talk about? Wonder ow good i'll sound to the original. I'm gong to be disappointed if sound leaks like the Denon Dxxxx series though

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #1,499 of 13,134
lol. welcome back. Why did u sell yours originally?

I am personally at the stage where i am stuggling to chose between the HE-500 and LCD 2.2. My HE-500 has a edge in the amp since its connected to the emotiva 100x mini (4 pin xlr to banana plugs) while the LCD 2.2 is connected to Asgard. Both off of Maverick D2 dac. 

Maybe ill just keep both lol..... so hard to choose. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back