Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,471 of 13,132
any idea y bamboo was chosen as wood for the cups?? 
any sonic quality/advantage about bamboo? 

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,472 of 13,132
Quote:

I'm thinking because it's cheap, perhaps it minimally effected the sound too? Not sure. I hate the fact that Audeze raised the price of the Rosewood version. Bamboo is so cheap looking IMO. I think someone posted a picture of a $30 lamp with the exact same bamboo pattern as the LCD-2. I wish they would have gone with a cheaper wood option. I don't need exotic wood like Rosewood, but I would like to have some kind of wood instead of bamboo. Maybe walnut? oak? Not an expert on woods and their availability/price, but I'm sure they could have found something better than bamboo.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,473 of 13,132
The price seems to fluctuate on their site. When I emailed them they said they adjust the price according to availability of the wood. Prices seem to stay the same from other dealers like woo audio.

As far as sound quality difference I don't believe there are any. No first hand experience, but I have read they sound the exact same with the bamboo weighing a little less.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #1,474 of 13,132
Quote:
The price seems to fluctuate on their site. When I emailed them they said they adjust the price according to availability of the wood. Prices seem to stay the same from other dealers like woo audio.

As far as sound quality difference I don't believe there are any. No first hand experience, but I have read they sound the exact same with the bamboo weighing a little less.

Really? Hasn't it just been $1145 since they changed it? Are you saying they might offer a lower price if I e-mailed them depending on Rosewood availability?

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,475 of 13,132
Quote:

There are no sound advantages or disadvantages of bamboo being used over Rosewood, both the Rosewood and Bamboo LCD's sound identical. Bamboo was used because a lot of Rosewoods was cracking in the past. Bamboo being sturdier with it's more strongly bonded porosity and less expensive per piece cost compared to Rosewood mean's less or zilch cracking along with the metal connectors, though not the case as we've had 3 people with cracked Bamboo LCD2's, which is rare to happen.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,477 of 13,132
Quote:
is it very likely for a LCD 2.2 rosewood without angled connectors to crack? What are some good precautionary measures to perhaps reduce such odds? The headphone itself is usually in a well airconditioned indoor environment

I bought mine used in march 2012. Originally bought in september 2011. Not a hint of a crack and I didn't do anything special. Room heated during winter and air conditioning in summer time.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #1,479 of 13,132
I think less than 10% of LCD-2s had crack issues. I was active in the original LCD-2 thread and a lot of people never had the issue. There were people of course who had 2 even 3 replacements all crack, but that was very rare. I think keeping them well-oiled might help as well. If you have an old LCD-2 that hasn't cracked yet, it's probably stable. Plus Audeze has a 3 year warranty policy for wood cracks, which was nice of them. Now we have connectors pulling out of the wooden housing problem. LOL
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #1,481 of 13,132
Quote:
well thxs for the heads up. Been using a used LCD 2.2 purchased in 2011 but no cracks yet. I hope it stays that way.

If you're worried you can always send them in to get the new connectors. It'll probably cost you shipping. Not sure if they'll do it for free but doesn't hurt to ask. I bought my very first LCD-2 in 2011 as well and it never cracked. I sold them in the middle of 2012 (over a year later)

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #1,482 of 13,132
Quote:
is it very likely for a LCD 2.2 rosewood without angled connectors to crack? What are some good precautionary measures to perhaps reduce such odds? The headphone itself is usually in a well airconditioned indoor environment

Depends on which batch you got your LCD2's from. Early LCD2 rev 2 that came out straight after late rev.1's have a high crack rate. I cracked my late rev.1's on purpose (whilst modding so it was my fault), easy to fix, gives me a excuse to have finally sanded it down, applied a single coat of Jarrah oil stain to deepen the colour and just applied the first coat of polyurtherane today.

Quote:
I think less than 10% of LCD-2s had crack issues. I was active in the original LCD-2 thread and a lot of people never had the issue. There were people of course who had 2 even 3 replacements all crack, but that was very rare. I think keeping them well-oiled might help as well. If you have an old LCD-2 that hasn't cracked yet, it's probably stable. Plus Audeze has a 3 year warranty policy for wood cracks, which was nice of them. Now we have connectors pulling out of the wooden housing problem. LOL
evil_smiley.gif

Bit more than just 10%, more like a good 20% of people had there's crack from the rev.1's to the rev.2's from the original LCD2 thread that ended up being locked to this one. It wasn't until they introduced bamboo and the metal connectors we stopped seeing rates of cracking. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back