Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,276 of 13,134
Quote:
I definitely hope so. Just tried the LCD2's out of the headphone jack of my JBL receiver with iPod headphone jack connected to RCA connectors through an adapter and it sounded closer to speakers yet I still hear a surprising amount of distortion with the phones that I don't hear with the same receiver connected to $300 Klispch speakers I have. Does the iPod really sound that bad and the headphone is just revealing? Do the cheap speakers overemphasize some aspects that LCD2 doesn't making it sound worse in comparison?

All I want to know is that the WA6SE and Mini Max Plus DAC combo is going to blow away any setup I've ever heard in terms of raw power and clarity, especially with the bass and a nice warm, analog sound. Don't really hear the potential right now. Just going to have wait and see (hear) the results...

Hi Xero,

You can relax. You will be blown away with your future set up in comparaison of what you are trying rigth now.

What you are doing is like road testing a Ferrari on a crappy road with hundreds of potholes,

The LCD-2 with right amplification are simply fabulous.

I heard my LCD-2 last year with the WA6SE at le Festival du Son et Image in Montreal. I was really impressed. Really smooth and robust sound and with definitely enough power to make the LCD-2 shine.

Now, relax, have a good bottle of wine or your favorite drink and resist to the temptation of driving this ferrari on this crappy road until you reach the Autobahn!

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,277 of 13,134
Quote:
Lost what..? The plot? :D

Nevermind, just the ramblings of an old man.  However, unlike other old people, I have hope for the younger generation.  Now the internet has it's positives and negatives and I think most of the new generation are a tolerant and peaceful breed thanks to the possibility of information from the net not biased by mainstream.

These teens now will have the closest possibility of achieveing world peace and stopping world hunger - after us old folks still gripping on to power are all killed off.  For all my gripes - I admit, the new generation are more human than my generation and every other generation in the history of human evolution.  That restores my faith in humanity.

The problem with old people, they think the world is overpopulated...but by who, what the poor?  What, should we cull them all? The truth is it's overpopulated by old people that are way past their prime.  I should have died a long time ago, and really I'm not that old.

So no, it's not the youth that have lost the plot - if so it is my fault, for I have lost the plot.

Quote:
Have you tried the anaxilus mod with the HD800? They are very amp/tube picky. With the right combo my lcd 2 rev 2 dont even come close in clarity. And this is coming from someone who loves the audeze house sound very much. 

To me the HD800 came clost to but never quite matched the clarity of midrange of my original LCD2 R1.

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #1,278 of 13,134
Quote:

Nooo you haven't lost the plot my friend, just joking. It makes a lot of sense to this middle aged guy.

beerchug.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #1,279 of 13,134
Quote:

Yes I'd agree it might take a while to adjust, at least it did for me coming from D7000. Initially I though "where is the bass?" but I was not used to the neutral presentation. There is plenty of depth - its just not in your face. The LCD2 presentation is very sensitive to the amp and DAC that you use; I prefer the sound of my old Graham Slee solo vs Lemann cube, which adds a bit more slam and warmth. I still resort to D7000 for dance / hip hop now and then though.

Holy ****, is there ever... over time these have really opened up leaving it playing music overnight and throughout the last two days. I switched over to my old speaker setup and wow, they sound so muffled, dried, etc.. I can't listen to music anymore without the LCD2 now! and this is already my opinion before getting a REAL amp and DAC... the sound is so smooth and hi-fi it's crazy. Love it's transparency of the source and the non-harsh presentation.

I tried seeing if I could hear the distortion/crackles/pops I mentioned earlier with my other (Bose) headphones and it turns it's all there, it's just the sound was so dried up in comparison and nearly obscured completely by the poor sound quality that I never noticed! The Logitech z5500 headphone out (and iPod line out) obviously has major issues. No heading back for me with these headphones... really REALLY pleased. Can't wait till I get the WA6SE and Mini Max and take a real listen to these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #1,280 of 13,134
I remember when I first got the LCD2's, I thought I'd made a mistake with purchasing from an unknown company.  I heard these distortions, pops and crackles on the music...further diagnosis concluded that these were there in the music all along - and I never knew.

Hey y'know what crossed my mind?  Kids these days are cyborgs.

Cybernetic entities - biological tissue permanently interfacing and supplemented by electronic processor.  Wait, I've seen this before...

Oh man, we're doomed.

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #1,281 of 13,134
..started to make sense till about 1/3rd of the way through your post; lol. So are you sure this isn't a possible playback issue (like some thing wrong with ASIO, or the cheap headphone jack outputs/cheap parts adding the distortion, etc.)? Is it relieved a bit when using a proper amp/dac, especially $1000+ components? It IS kind of distracting (just IMO). "Distortion/crackles/pops" doesn't seem like something that would slip past a zillion engineers working on albums... I don't hear the distortion except when out of the iPod and Logitech headphone jacks just btw (the speaker hookup to the Logitech surround amp doesn't have these issues).

edit: this is what I'm using http://www.head-fi.org/t/397485/logitech-z5500-built-in-headphone-amp-any-reviews/15
Hopefully that explains the distortion and no bass. I hear more bass on the iPod output but a) there's still distortion b) the sound is congested c) the bass is really really flabby :/

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,282 of 13,134
Quote:
I remember when I first got the LCD2's, I thought I'd made a mistake with purchasing from an unknown company.  I heard these distortions, pops and crackles on the music...further diagnosis concluded that these were there in the music all along - and I never knew.

Hey y'know what crossed my mind?  Kids these days are cyborgs.

Cybernetic entities - biological tissue permanently interfacing and supplemented by electronic processor.  Wait, I've seen this before...

Oh man, we're doomed.

I've experienced the same thing! I thought there was something wrong with the headphones when I heard crackle in certain songs (crackle I didn't hear with the HD 800), but that's just because how naturally revealing these things are.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,283 of 13,134
Quote:

I've experienced the same thing! I thought there was something wrong with the headphones when I heard crackle in certain songs (crackle I didn't hear with the HD 800), but that's just because how naturally revealing these things are.

Isn't the HD800 one of the most revealing headphones out there? Would you be able go back to the HD800 and hear the crackle if you're looking for it?

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,284 of 13,134
It wasn't until I finally upgraded my amp that I really understood how revealing LCD's are.  I couldn't tell the difference between the stock cable and my silky Q Audio cable until the amp upgrade either.  I have a few acoustic guitar recordings in DSD format...  You hear EVERYTHING through these LCD's.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #1,285 of 13,134
Quote:
Isn't the HD800 one of the most revealing headphones out there? Would you be able go back to the HD800 and hear the crackle if you're looking for it?

I know some people will disagree with me on this, but in my opinion the HD 800 is a VERY overrated headphone. At first, it sounds very detailed and revealing. But extensive listening and comparisons to better headphones have left me with the conclusion that the HD 800 gives the impression of a detailed sound by elevating the treble. It doesn't reveal TRUE details in the music to the degree that planar magnetic and electrostatic headphones do. I'm hearing details with the LCD-2 I honestly never heard with the HD 800. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #1,286 of 13,134
Quote:

I know some people will disagree with me on this, but in my opinion the HD 800 is a VERY overrated headphone. At first, it sounds very detailed and revealing. But extensive listening and comparisons to better headphones have left me with the conclusion that the HD 800 gives the impression of a detailed sound by elevating the treble. It doesn't reveal TRUE details in the music to the degree that planar magnetic and electrostatic headphones do. I'm hearing details with the LCD-2 I honestly never heard with the HD 800. 

Just out of curiosity, what amp did you use with the HD800?  The same amp you're using with your LCD-2?

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,287 of 13,134
It wasn't until I finally upgraded my amp that I really understood how revealing LCD's are.  I couldn't tell the difference between the stock cable and my silky Q Audio cable until the amp upgrade either.  I have a few acoustic guitar recordings in DSD format...  You hear EVERYTHING through these LCD's.

What amp were you using and what did you upgrade to? I can't see signatures on my phone. I've wanted to upgrade my cable, but if I need to upgrade my amp to notice then I'll hold off.

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #1,288 of 13,134
Quote:
What amp were you using and what did you upgrade to? I can't see signatures on my phone. I've wanted to upgrade my cable, but if I need to upgrade my amp to notice then I'll hold off.

I was using a vintage speaker amp.  I upgraded to a Decware Taboo Mk 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back