Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,216 of 13,139
Quote:
Is the HD800 better than the LCD-3 at classical music?

The two options trade blows with each-other, so it comes down to what attributes of sound you prioritize more, and also what tonal balance you dig more.

May 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,217 of 13,139
While we are on the topic of bashing LCD-2s I'll say that I prefer my new T70s for classical. :p

May 23, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #1,218 of 13,139
Quote:
The two options trade blows with each-other, so it comes down to what attributes of sound you prioritize more, and also what tonal balance you dig more.

Seems to be about preference. 

May 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #1,219 of 13,139
Quote:
Seems to be about preference. 

Not just preference, each headphone is undeniably better in certain aspects, and for those things it comes down to how much you care for it.

E.g. people don't just "prefer" worse headstage, but they could care more or less about it, and if the latter is the case then another attribute might overshadow it.

May 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,220 of 13,139
Quote:
Not just preference, each headphone is undeniably better in certain aspects, and for those things it comes down to how much you care for it.

E.g. people don't just "prefer" worse headstage, but they could care more or less about it, and if the latter is the case then another attribute might overshadow it.

"Worse headstage".  Does that mean less natural?

May 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,221 of 13,139
Quote:

"Worse headstage".  Does that mean less natural?

What is headstage? I know about soundstage... but headstage? Interested in jerg's answer as well!

May 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,222 of 13,139
May 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #1,223 of 13,139
May 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #1,224 of 13,139
Quote:
Yep.

It might be true that the HD800 is the most natural sounding headphone there is (I haven't heard it) but I think in general a lot of people mistake their preference for the way a headphone sounds for natural.  For example, a lot of people might be surprised to hear what going to the the symphony sounds like in person.  

May 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,225 of 13,139
Quote:
Is the HD800 better than the LCD-3 at classical music?

The LCD-3s are fantastic for classical (and a good step up from the LCD-2s in that regard). But the HD800s are still a better solution for classical. But then again, who really listens to mostly classical music? 
size]
  For rock, metal and jazz, I prefer the LCD-3s. 

May 24, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #1,227 of 13,139
Quote:
The LCD-3s are fantastic for classical (and a good step up from the LCD-2s in that regard). But the HD800s are still a better solution for classical. But then again, who really listens to mostly classical music? 
size]
  For rock, metal and jazz, I prefer the LCD-3s. 

Thats actually a good point. And definately worth noting if you are considering either of these headphones.  I personally think that Audeze have 'got it right' in what folk want out of a headphone in regards to popular music and also for a genre like Jazz. For music lovers it should be all about what makes the music sound good, and a thumping emphasised bass and rolled off treble will make most pop music recordings sound great. It also helps with classic Jazz recordings too, where Miles trumpet or Coltranes sax have a tendancy to be fatiguing. More modern Jazz recordings tend to be warmer now though and the LCD2's can sound dull with these. 

The HD800's on the other hand give you a warts n'all presentation, and this might be a little too analytical if you are rocking out to Master of Puppets for e.g. Because it will display the recordings short comings and actually detract your attention from the music to the sound quality. The Senns have really grown on me with Jazz, but I do find myself preferring modern recordings than old classics for the reasons just stated. So in that respect my headphone is dictating what I'm going to listen too :p

My tastes these days are Classical, Jazz, Electronica/Ambient.  It's weird, I played lead guitar in a Rock band for nye on twenty year but only really listened to it in my teens.... But then I am weird. I love Radiohead if that helps... And I'd choose the LCD2's for the Bends and the HD800's for everything after that :D

May 24, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #1,228 of 13,139
I have to admit "No Surprises" sounds GREAT on any headphone.

May 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #1,229 of 13,139
I just love both my lcd-2 and HD800 for different types of music. I prefer jazz on my hd800 (together with vocal stuff), LCD-2s shine for electronic music and rock....now I am just wondering how much better the LCD-3 sound, but I don't think I'll be buying a new headphone pair anytime soon.

May 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,230 of 13,139
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. I listen to a wide variety of genres and it took me a while to realize that no single headphone could be the best at all of them. And when you think about it, why should there be? Listening to a bluegrass set, going to the symphony, and listening to a DJ are pretty different experiences sonically. Why should I expect a single headphone to excel at all of them equally? Right now I feel like the LCD2 and the HD800 cover all of the bases for me. My experience has been that If a recording doesn't sound great on one, it will on the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back