Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #12,826 of 13,139
Yeah swapped to the new ones on my 2018 LCD-2F with a similar result. The ~6k peak and air above 10k remain overly hot but also by only a couple dB but the upper mids are much closer to where they should be, like on the pre memory foam pad rev.
I just swapped 2021 (leather) pads on my LCD-2F and they made a huge difference for me. I don't know if my previous pads were original, but they were memory foam (leather). They seem way more airy, open and wide now. Almost unnaturally so. Bigger presentation than a Hifiman Ananda, almost as big as the Ayra V2, which I had here for a few days. Not as deep front to back as the Arya though. Before I had to use 5 filters and I really didn't listen to them at all without EQ. Now I just add a 4db bass shelf and bump 4.4k a little and they are perfect. I can even use them without EQ for some genres now. I was gonna keep the Arya and sell these because of the lack of air and space, but now I am letting the Arya's go and keeping these. Huge.

Edit: Also prior to the pad swap I had a 1.5-2 db channel imbalance in the mid bass and upper mids (confirmed with MiniDSP EARS). Now the channel matching is dead even throughout. Nice bonus.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #12,827 of 13,139
I just swapped 2021 (leather) pads on my LCD-2F and they made a huge difference for me. I don't know if my previous pads were original, but they were memory foam (leather). They seem way more airy, open and wide now. Almost unnaturally so. Bigger presentation than a Hifiman Ananda, almost as big as the Ayra V2, which I had here for a few days. Not as deep front to back as the Arya though. Before I had to use 5 filters and I really didn't listen to them at all without EQ. Now I just add a 4db bass shelf and bump 4.4k a little and they are perfect. I can even use them without EQ for some genres now. I was gonna keep the Arya and sell these because of the lack of air and space, but now I am letting the Arya's go and keeping these. Huge.

Edit: Also prior to the pad swap I had a 1.5-2 db channel imbalance in the mid bass and upper mids (confirmed with MiniDSP EARS). Now the channel matching is dead even throughout. Nice bonus.
To my knowledge there is only one pad revision that is memory foam, and that's the one that ruined the FR of every Audeze it touched. To this day I have not found any information about exactly when this pad revision began, but it existed at least as far back as mid-2018 when my LCD-2 was made and came from the factory with the memory foam pads. Why they would do this, I don't know, but probably a supplier issue. The new pads are significantly closer to what the LCD-2 sounded and measured like before the memory foam pad "debacle". Welcome back to the original Fazored Audeze LCD tuning.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #12,828 of 13,139
To my knowledge there is only one pad revision that is memory foam, and that's the one that ruined the FR of every Audeze it touched. To this day I have not found any information about exactly when this pad revision began, but it existed at least as far back as mid-2018 when my LCD-2 was made and came from the factory with the memory foam pads. Why they would do this, I don't know, but probably a supplier issue. The new pads are significantly closer to what the LCD-2 sounded and measured like before the memory foam pad "debacle". Welcome back to the original Fazored Audeze LCD tuning.
Interesting. Can we assume that the new 2021 revision pads are similar / nearly the same as the pre-memory foam pads? My late 2016 revision LCD-2F's have the stock pads and the foam inside feels like regular polyurethane foam, not viscoelastic memory foam. The mid-range is just slightly flat without EQ so I have a mild, +4db lift at 3800 Hz and that's it. Was considering picking up a set of 2021 pads but now I'm not so sure it'll make any appreciable difference in SQ.

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #12,829 of 13,139
I just got a message back from the previous owner of these and the pads were indeed replaced some time late 2018. So I have never heard the 2016 pads that came with these & I have no idea how similar they would sound, but these pads changed my LCD-2F in a fundamental and magnificent way. They went from 'these are good but' to 'I am never letting go of these' in 10 minutes. The veil is gone. They are no longer claustrophobic. My son put them on this morning (without me telling him I had changed anything) and he made a sign with his hands and mouthed "wide, wow". If all LCD-2Fs sounded like this then I would understand the worship.

Nov 17, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #12,830 of 13,139
Can we assume that the new 2021 revision pads are similar / nearly the same as the pre-memory foam pads? ... Was considering picking up a set of 2021 pads but now I'm not so sure it'll make any appreciable difference in SQ.
If all LCD-2Fs sounded like this then I would understand the worship.
Audeze has said elsewhere on the forum that the 2021 revision (really ~Nov 2020+ apparently) pads are indeed much closer in tuning to the pre-memory foam pads, especially for the upper midrange, which was essentially absent with the memory foam version. If you have the pre-memory foam version, unless your pads are wearing out, which can take many years for the genuine leather version, I would leave them alone.

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #12,831 of 13,139
Audeze has said elsewhere on the forum that the 2021 revision (really ~Nov 2020+ apparently) pads are indeed much closer in tuning to the pre-memory foam pads, especially for the upper midrange, which was essentially absent with the memory foam version. If you have the pre-memory foam version, unless your pads are wearing out, which can take many years for the genuine leather version, I would leave them alone.

Thanks for this! I had always been slightly disappointed in not having memory foam pads on my 2017s and had even considered 'upgrading' the pads a time or two. Very glad I didn't! The 2F has always been a favorite of mine since I got them, so I will definitely be preserving that stock sound as long as possible.

Nov 27, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #12,835 of 13,139
Thank you! Wondering if I should change up to Dekoni pads, heard it's better~
My original lcd2 OG pads was a wreck so replaced them with dekonis and have been very satisfied

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #12,837 of 13,139
Damn I would get them now since they are in offer. I haven't done much research but are they different types for Audeze headphones?
Yes. I bought the elite hybrids and they work well

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #12,839 of 13,139
Did the sound signature change
The sound signature changes drastically with any of the Dekoni pads in my experience. And for me they have never been as good as any of the stock Audeze pads. The “Elite velour” destroys the bass and was the worst offender of all. The “Elite Sheepskin” were the best of the Dekoni pads,made them sound v-shaped and dynamically compressed. The other fenestrated pads were in the middle sound wise. All bad.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #12,840 of 13,139
I'm reading new pads can 'fix' my LCD-2F's? This is something I will indeed investigate. Thanks for the post. Also agree with 04gto on Dekoni pads. Some love, but I didn't like any that I tried compared to the factory pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back