Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #12,841 of 13,139
I'm reading new pads can 'fix' my LCD-2F's? This is something I will indeed investigate. Thanks for the post. Also agree with 04gto on Dekoni pads. Some love, but I didn't like any that I tried compared to the factory pads.
They won’t “fix it” very much but ya they add like 2db of gain in the upper mids where Audezes traditionally have trouble

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #12,843 of 13,139
Think of the old pads being a straight line. Here is what the new pads do in comparison to the straight line old pads.

pad change graph.jpg

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #12,844 of 13,139
Just got a new pair of rosewoods at the b-stock sale. They were advertised as leather-free but I’m fairly certain they are leather. For me, and from what I’ve read above, that’s a good thing (pretty sure they are the current, post memory foam leather). I’ve had them for less than a week now and at first I wasn’t very impressed. Right out of the box they sounded turgid and boring to me. Even compared to my standby Sennheiser HD650s (highly modified). But as they get more hours on them, now about 72 (or as I get more hours on me - not interested in a ‘break-in’ debate), I’m getting to like them a lot. I’m hearing more depth, dynamics, clarity and bounce. The rosewood cups are certainly pretty, and feel very ‘high end’, but I’m still not sure I like the LCD-2!sound as much as my old LCD-X (which I regrettably sold last year). We’ll see, as I said, the LCD-2s are starting to grow on me. I’m an old school audiophile, so my main sources for serious listening are still SME/Lyra analog and naim cd, so I DO NOT dabble in digital eq. I’m not against it, but at age 62and 45+ years in the hobby, I just haven’t learned enough about serious computer audio to be worth working it into my main rig yet.

I’d be remiss not to mention that these ‘b-stock’ headphones look perfect and brand new in every way - honestly no physical evidence to support their designation as b-stock. Kudos to Audeze - I am extremely happy about that, as I am quite particular about the condition of my gear, and I had convinced myself in advance that they’d be all banged up. Glad I was totally wrong.

The only disappointment is the apparent cheesiness of the included woven cable. Reminds me of the cheap junk you can get on Amazon. I liked the old-style ribbon cable better. I found a used ZMF OFC on fleabay for $40 (awaiting international shipping from UK), so let the cable wars begin. Any recommendations based upon experience for reasonably priced replacement cables, or do you guys mostly just stick with the woven oem?

Enjoy, and thanks!

Neil

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #12,845 of 13,139
Just got a new pair of rosewoods at the b-stock sale. They were advertised as leather-free but I’m fairly certain they are leather. For me, and from what I’ve read above, that’s a good thing (pretty sure they are the current, post memory foam leather). I’ve had them for less than a week now and at first I wasn’t very impressed. Right out of the box they sounded turgid and boring to me. Even compared to my standby Sennheiser HD650s (highly modified). But as they get more hours on them, now about 72 (or as I get more hours on me - not interested in a ‘break-in’ debate), I’m getting to like them a lot. I’m hearing more depth, dynamics, clarity and bounce. The rosewood cups are certainly pretty, and feel very ‘high end’, but I’m still not sure I like the LCD-2!sound as much as my old LCD-X (which I regrettably sold last year). We’ll see, as I said, the LCD-2s are starting to grow on me. I’m an old school audiophile, so my main sources for serious listening are still SME/Lyra analog and naim cd, so I DO NOT dabble in digital eq. I’m not against it, but at age 62and 45+ years in the hobby, I just haven’t learned enough about serious computer audio to be worth working it into my main rig yet.

I’d be remiss not to mention that these ‘b-stock’ headphones look perfect and brand new in every way - honestly no physical evidence to support their designation as b-stock. Kudos to Audeze - I am extremely happy about that, as I am quite particular about the condition of my gear, and I had convinced myself in advance that they’d be all banged up. Glad I was totally wrong.

The only disappointment is the apparent cheesiness of the included woven cable. Reminds me of the cheap junk you can get on Amazon. I liked the old-style ribbon cable better. I found a used ZMF OFC on fleabay for $40 (awaiting international shipping from UK), so let the cable wars begin. Any recommendations based upon experience for reasonably priced replacement cables, or do you guys mostly just stick with the woven oem?

Enjoy, and thanks!

Neil
Could be that whomever first owned that pair, swapped to leather pads.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #12,847 of 13,139
Do the 2021 LCD-2 have fabric mesh against the outer metal grill with the writing on it, or do they have the same metal screen the newer LCD-2c's have?

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #12,848 of 13,139
They won’t “fix it” very much but ya they add like 2db of gain in the upper mids where Audezes traditionally have trouble

As I have said a few times here, the "dust cover" is quite a bit more than that on the early LCD2s, being a bit dense. But perhaps you lcd is more recent. Although, I have to admit, my LCD2s do not have much of trouble. The stock pads are extremely durable, comfy, and give that amazing bass that makes you think your head is in a subwoofer. No other loss though, you really can eat the cake and have it too.

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #12,849 of 13,139
I switched the pads on the Pre Fazor LCD-3 to the 2021 pads and definitely upper mids got a slight boost. But also, the bass improved its resolution. I switched to the new headband as well. So, the increased resolution in the bass might be due to the headphones fitting my head properly.

So, I think if your LCD-2/3 is pre 2021 era… the new pads are worth it.

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #12,852 of 13,139
Some pictures that i made of the LCD- 2 👍

Attachments

• 52282356-F989-48FD-A5D6-436A1B76B391.jpeg
    52282356-F989-48FD-A5D6-436A1B76B391.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 40E9D8D4-F2EF-438B-BA2E-BF3773601402.jpeg
    40E9D8D4-F2EF-438B-BA2E-BF3773601402.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 8A5F9070-8055-4B51-90A4-7BFD9D473F62.jpeg
    8A5F9070-8055-4B51-90A4-7BFD9D473F62.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #12,854 of 13,139
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #12,855 of 13,139
Now thats an amazing looking headphone! What kind of wood is it?
Looks the same as mine, and the wood is called Shedua.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back