Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #12,811 of 13,134
I had the lcd-2 classic, returned them after a month, currently have the lcd-x 2021, about to put on classifieds, there is something about audeze that sound veiled to me. Can TOTALLY be my hearing, but alas, dont suffer from the same with Focal

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #12,812 of 13,134
I had the lcd-2 classic, returned them after a month, currently have the lcd-x 2021, about to put on classifieds, there is something about audeze that sound veiled to me. Can TOTALLY be my hearing, but alas, dont suffer from the same with Focal
Please tell me you've EQ'd the upper mids into the same dimension as the rest of the headphone. Many people say you shouldn't even bother with an LCD series headphone if you don't EQ because well, it's veiled as all hell. I tried this myself and the LCD-X went from sounding completely dead to actually the opposite of veiled once the upper mids were corrected with EQ.

All I'm saying is, before you sell them, make sure you give it a try because it'd be silly to sell them, try them at a later date with EQ only to realize you made a mistake.

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #12,813 of 13,134
Please tell me you've EQ'd the upper mids into the same dimension as the rest of the headphone. Many people say you shouldn't even bother with an LCD series headphone if you don't EQ because well, it's veiled as all hell. I tried this myself and the LCD-X went from sounding completely dead to actually the opposite of veiled once the upper mids were corrected with EQ.

All I'm saying is, before you sell them, make sure you give it a try because it'd be silly to sell them, try them at a later date with EQ only to realize you made a mistake.
tried everything under the sun, using SoundSource on OS X tested several EQ profiles, they just dont give me the same feeling as my Clear and Elegia when tubed properly

I'm not saying they are not good, but I'm 46 and my hearing is not what it used to be, so that may be part of it

If you have an eq profile you can share I'll give it a try

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #12,816 of 13,134
no biggie man, I have a decent amount of headphones I do enjoy besides the focals (senns, beyers, fostex, plus grado nut here)
If you're into Grados and have some hearing loss the Audezes aren't going to be your thing. There's no use in pressuring you to keep them. Just find something you like! You can try the Sonarworks Sound ID software but idk if it would be worth the hassle. You're probably better off just saving for a ZMF Auteur if you want something that will be good with tubes.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #12,817 of 13,134
If you're into Grados and have some hearing loss the Audezes aren't going to be your thing. There's no use in pressuring you to keep them. Just find something you like! You can try the Sonarworks Sound ID software but idk if it would be worth the hassle. You're probably better off just saving for a ZMF Auteur if you want something that will be good with tubes.
I'm thinking on the Aelous later this year. And yeah, I do like grado's house sound

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #12,818 of 13,134
I'm thinking on the Aelous later this year. And yeah, I do like grado's house sound

tried everything under the sun, using SoundSource on OS X tested several EQ profiles, they just dont give me the same feeling as my Clear and Elegia when tubed properly

I'm not saying they are not good, but I'm 46 and my hearing is not what it used to be, so that may be part of it

If you have an eq profile you can share I'll give it a try

I am 39, but I still have very good hearing. I can still hear easily at 17kHz. You may want to take a look at the DT 1990. It is a bit bright at 8kHz, but the headphone just attacks the music it is presented with. It pulls out everything that is present within the recordings. I am not sure what your music tastes are, but it is an awesome headphone for rock and roll and heavy metal music.

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #12,819 of 13,134
The magic of a little bit of Feed N Wax (same as the Audeze "wood care kit" they once included with LCD 2 headphones)

top.png

close.png

Screenshot 2021-10-12 105005.png

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #12,823 of 13,134
Sprung for the 2021 pads on my 2019 LCD-2F! And... yeah, they do improve the sound quite a lot. Mids still seem a tiny bit scooped but I can comfortably bump this to what I consider subjectively pleasant with a two or three dB bump to ~4khz, rather than nearly seven. Overall, it makes the headphone sound much, much more acceptable without EQ than the "EQ absolutely mandatory" state it previously came in. Now we just need to eventually convince Audeze to change to a better pad system.... My Dekoni Suedes were far more comfortable than this, but muddled the sound a hell of a lot lol

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #12,824 of 13,134
Sprung for the 2021 pads on my 2019 LCD-2F! And... yeah, they do improve the sound quite a lot. Mids still seem a tiny bit scooped but I can comfortably bump this to what I consider subjectively pleasant with a two or three dB bump to ~4khz, rather than nearly seven. Overall, it makes the headphone sound much, much more acceptable without EQ than the "EQ absolutely mandatory" state it previously came in. Now we just need to eventually convince Audeze to change to a better pad system.... My Dekoni Suedes were far more comfortable than this, but muddled the sound a hell of a lot lol
Yeah swapped to the new ones on my 2018 LCD-2F with a similar result. The ~6k peak and air above 10k remain overly hot but also by only a couple dB but the upper mids are much closer to where they should be, like on the pre memory foam pad rev.

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #12,825 of 13,134
I just want to say, I finally decided to keep one headphone and sell the other ones I wasn't using anymore and the LCD-2.2 came out as clear winners. If these things ever die or my pads finally fail me it will be a sad day. Had the LCD2 Classics but they aren't the same headphone tier at all, easy sell.

I cant believe how much praise the ZMF Atticus gets, I flat out don't understand it as they are worse in almost everyway and cost far far too much. Don't know what everyone is hearing, I have had some non popular opinions of headphones before but this had to be the most opposite so far. Bought them used for $980 and sold them for $875, ill take that as a lesson lol

Was hard choosing between my Aryas and the LCD-2's but at the end of the day the LCD2's are just less harsh in the sibilance department, have a much more balanced bass presentation and work with far more genres the the Arya's do. Aryas were great for the 6 months I had them, but I found myself over time coming back to the 2.2's and keeping them on longer and longer as I listen to a more mixed variety of music and there were a good amount of songs that I just did not enjoy on my Aryas... That is a rarity for the LCD 2.2s. Anything the Aryas did excellently/better, the LCD 2.2's did great enough that I wasn't bothered losing that final x% of quality.

Going to be flying across the world in 5 months and cant take all this stuff with me. For the $650 I paid for these things they are an unbeatable value and anyone who is on the edge of trying some used pairs should take the gamble. I loved them back when I heard them in 2012 and they are *still* the best value in 2021 as far as I am concerned. Still the best all arounder's I have heard and I have been trying more and more expensive headphones as times goes on and I get more income. I feel like this is the final moment for me to stop searching for a while but we all know how that goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back