Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #12,571 of 13,134
Hello.
How to make audeze lcd 2 (non fazor) / lcd 2c less bassy and more clear on bottom highs?
They're not actually that bassy, Audeze has never made a bassy headphone they're dead flat which actually is less bass than what certain recordings are meant to show. Flat bass = lack of reverb and bass presence(don't confuse flat bass with neutral in talking flat as in lack of bass boost which headphones do need to account for bass body and reverberation)

If you're getting more bass you're prob used to headphones with less mid bass I can't actually think of another headphone with less mid bass presence than the LCD-2 or any of it's 5 revisions. The LCD-2 has a upper mid or lower treble recession depending on peoples perception so just bring it up with EQ to taste. Going to the 2F like the other user suggested is pointless as the tuning isn't much different compared to the 2C but the original LCD-2 is a bit different in a few aspects.

If you don't want to bother with EQ and want an excuse to buy a different headphone try the Sennheiser HD560S which has a fairly linear bass and way more presence upper mids and you get a better instrument timbre and more natural voicing as a bonus, no need to spend loads but personally I'd experiment with EQ first.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #12,573 of 13,134
Ok, just got the pre-fazor LCD2.2 delivered! Sold my first pair (2.1 w/ Vegan pads I believe) 5-7+ years ago. Adored those things.

A. I really wish I had found ones with Vegan pads again, they were so much better to wear with glasses. These leather pads are rock hard.
B. I forgot how uncomfortable this old strap was, the top of my head already hurts just 30 minutes in.

C. But the sound! This is definitely about what I remember, accounting for pad differences anyway. I can say with confidence now that the Classics don't really sound like the older LCD2's at all and see why they never really solved the craving for the old school LCD2s I've been wanting back. Somehow the Classics are less bassy, thinner sounding on the mids and more sibilant. What the hell did Audeze do lmao?

Keeping these this time, no doubt. Just need to decide whether I want to spend the extra $125 or the extra $200 for the steel vs carbon fiber headband. And I need to try and find either the original vegan pads (Which I doubt I will be able to) or find something that wont change the sound sig too much and let me wear glasses more comfortably.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #12,574 of 13,134
Ok, just got the pre-fazor LCD2.2 delivered! Sold my first pair (2.1 w/ Vegan pads I believe) 5-7+ years ago. Adored those things.

A. I really wish I had found ones with Vegan pads again, they were so much better to wear with glasses. These leather pads are rock hard.
B. I forgot how uncomfortable this old strap was, the top of my head already hurts just 30 minutes in.

C. But the sound! This is definitely about what I remember, accounting for pad differences anyway. I can say with confidence now that the Classics don't really sound like the older LCD2's at all and see why they never really solved the craving for the old school LCD2s I've been wanting back. Somehow the Classics are less bassy, thinner sounding on the mids and more sibilant. What the hell did Audeze do lmao?

Keeping these this time, no doubt. Just need to decide whether I want to spend the extra $125 or the extra $200 for the steel vs carbon fiber headband. And I need to try and find either the original vegan pads (Which I doubt I will be able to) or find something that wont change the sound sig too much and let me wear glasses more comfortably.

Any suggestions appreciated!
If it weren’t for Audeze’s stellar reputation for reliability, I would be chasing a pair myself. I miss mine too.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #12,575 of 13,134
If it weren’t for Audeze’s stellar reputation for reliability, I would be chasing a pair myself. I miss mine too.
I agree with you about reliability. But, I'll give credit where credit it is due. Despite my absolute babying of my LCD-2, the drivers developed tears in them, which I only noticed when I went to replace the pads that were worn out. They were more than a year out of warranty. After Audeze first quoted me a repair price, I chewed them out and I mentioned the driver failure threads on Head-Fi. They seemed to understand what that meant and they agreed to fix the drivers free of charge. They even put on new pads for me, also gratis.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #12,576 of 13,134
I agree with you about reliability. But, I'll give credit where credit it is due. Despite my absolute babying of my LCD-2, the drivers developed tears in them, which I only noticed when I went to replace the pads that were worn out. They were more than a year out of warranty. After Audeze first quoted me a repair price, I chewed them out and I mentioned the driver failure threads on Head-Fi. They seemed to understand what that meant and they agreed to fix the drivers free of charge. They even put on new pads for me, also gratis.
Audeze has improved a lot on QC and reliability in recent years. It is nothing like it used to be in the early days. Also their warranty service is pretty good.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #12,577 of 13,134
Can anyone send links to those failed drivers? I would like to see photos of that. If the heaphones need EQ, they fail, etc... I just need the photos to save myself a ton of money.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #12,578 of 13,134

I think I am going to stop my current rabbit hole trip for a moment. This doesnt make much sense, to spend so much money in something so delicate and unreliable. I bet all the used ones for sale are out of warranty and already damaged and/or with problems. No thanks, i will stick to the bomb proof stuff. Not stupid enough to pay premium for low reliability.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #12,579 of 13,134

I think I am going to stop my current rabbit hole trip for a moment. This doesnt make much sense, to spend so much money in something so delicate and unreliable. I bet all the used ones for sale are out of warranty and already damaged and/or with problems. No thanks, i will stick to the bomb proof stuff. Not stupid enough to pay premium for low reliability.

That is one guy's experience. I personally heard about more Focal driver fails than Audeze ones. They really improved a lot.
Also, Audeze warranty is transferrable, so often you can buy secondhand headphones still under warranty. Not all manufacturers allow that.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #12,580 of 13,134
Can anyone send links to those failed drivers? I would like to see photos of that. If the heaphones need EQ, they fail, etc... I just need the photos to save myself a ton of money.
You can find broken headphones/drivers from any headphone out there if you look. Audeze is not famous for broken drivers, they may have had some mishaps happen early on but they have one of the best warranties in the business and whatever issues they had have mostly been fixed. I rarely hear about drivers of Audeze breaking now a days *Shrugs* Not any more then any other headphones honestly, I've had way more issues with Hifiman then Audeze personally. I still buy both Audeze and Hifiman products.

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #12,581 of 13,134
It’s really good to hear they have improved QC. But my post in regards to reliability was towards the Pre Fazor versions. And when the driver does fail and you send it for repairs - you get a Fazor version instead.

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #12,582 of 13,134
It’s really good to hear they have improved QC. But my post in regards to reliability was towards the Pre Fazor versions. And when the driver does fail and you send it for repairs - you get a Fazor version instead.
Well, that is life. Many of the good old things are just gone. Luckily we also have a lot of shiny new things. :)

Mar 24, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #12,583 of 13,134

I wouldn't let this put you off, most of the reliability concerns stem from very early revisions and you're always going to see the vocal minority of failures in a forum like this instead of the thousands of people who've had their cans for a decade with zero issues. I would also bet the vast majority of failures are down to user error, i.e squashing the pads together with force or against their head and popping the drivers etc. - they are very well built nowadays but you still need to be aware these are delicate instruments built within small tolerances and you need to be sensible and treat them with care. Mine are on the third owner, well outside of warranty and still (touch wood) sound fantastic.

Also as someone pointed out above, there are usually half a dozen Focals on eBay with blown drivers at any given time!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #12,584 of 13,134
I wouldn't let this put you off, most of the reliability concerns stem from very early revisions and you're always going to see the vocal minority of failures in a forum like this instead of the thousands of people who've had their cans for a decade with zero issues. I would also bet the vast majority of failures are down to user error, i.e squashing the pads together with force or against their head and popping the drivers etc. - they are very well built nowadays but you still need to be aware these are delicate instruments built within small tolerances and you need to be sensible and treat them with care. Mine are on the third owner, well outside of warranty and still (touch wood) sound fantastic.

Also as someone pointed out above, there are usually half a dozen Focals on eBay with blown drivers at any given time!
Got my first Fazor LCD-2 in 2017 and it works flawlessly

Mar 24, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #12,585 of 13,134
I agree, I did some research online, and there are just 10-30 times more complaints about audeze online than sennheiser, it is definitely an isolated problem. And no one has needed to swap the drivers 3 times, most people one or twice, LOL.

Probaby 2C has a thicker driver, that is why it sounds worse, have less warranty costs, it is cheaper. Still a rip off for such a low reliability, this comment will be censored anyways, so...

Got my first Fazor LCD-2 in 2017 and it works flawlessly
and let me guess, you sold it already before warranty expires, right? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back