Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #12,346 of 13,139
How do these sound for classical music? and acoustics and strings as well?

I ask because they have that dramatic dip in the high-mids and that is where a lot of that kind of music lies on the frequency. In comparison I own the DT 1990pro and Sundara and they both do that genre of music well, the Sundara especially.

Dec 2, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #12,347 of 13,139
How do these sound for classical music? and acoustics and strings as well?

I ask because they have that dramatic dip in the high-mids and that is where a lot of that kind of music lies on the frequency. In comparison I own the DT 1990pro and Sundara and they both do that genre of music well, the Sundara especially.

For classical music, I generally want driver speed, to resolve details and separate instruments, and clean, even treble, since horns and strings are often crucial to the piece. The LCD-2 is great on driver speed, but only good on the treble side of things. I find horns and strings can sound blunted, lacking that trailing effect as the notes fade away and offering mostly only the primary note. When listening, the giant dip you see in measurements does not sound nearly as dramatic, but it is still there.

For planars, I much prefer the Ananda for classical, since it excels in both areas. If you like the Sundara, this would be the logical step forward. Or, I would also suggest the Elex, as I find its highly dynamic and impactful sound fits well with the huge dynamic range of a lot of symphonies. It loses some separation of instruments, but it has a more natural treble sound than the Ananda, which can sound too ethereal and thin at times.

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #12,349 of 13,139
How do these [LCD-2] sound for classical music? and acoustics and strings as well? ...
Classical makes up about 90% of my listening. With the Fazor (compared to the Classic), that dip is still there but it's smaller. Across measurements I've seen from several sources, the LCD-2 Fazor has the closest to neutral frequency response of the entire LCD lineup. With EQ, the LCD-2 Fazor is excellent, truly SOTA. Without EQ, it is a bit muted, like listening from the 10th row instead of from the 1st row.

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #12,351 of 13,139
I have no problems EQing. I use APO with Peace UI. Thank you, something else to consider.
For the LCD-2F, I use either one of these parametric EQs:
Simple (single band): +4 dB @ 4000, Q=0.67
More precise (dual band): +4 dB @ 4250, Q=2.14; +2 dB @ 3400, Q=0.92
It restores some of the dip, but gently, not messing with the overall character of the sound.
PS: with appropriate overall gain reduction as needed (-4 dB, -5 dB respectively).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #12,357 of 13,139
I'm looking at possibly purchasing a second-hand set of LCD-2's and I've done quite a bit of internet searching to educate myself on the various revisions this headphone has seen over it's lifetime (it's a lot!). Am I safe to assume that a 2016 model (Shedua rings) has Fazors and the latest driver revision? And the only difference between the 2016 model and the current 2020 model is the lack of the suspension style headband and the metal mesh behind the metal grills?

My main hang up in going with an older model is the lack of warranty coverage (mainly for the drivers) and the comfort of the older style headband. I know a suspension band can be purchased from Audeze should I find the padded headband really uncomfortable but I'd rather not have to shell out an additional $125 for a bit of spring steel and a strip of perforated leather.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #12,358 of 13,139
I'm looking at possibly purchasing a second-hand set of LCD-2's and I've done quite a bit of internet searching to educate myself on the various revisions this headphone has seen over it's lifetime (it's a lot!). Am I safe to assume that a 2016 model (Shedua rings) has Fazors and the latest driver revision? And the only difference between the 2016 model and the current 2020 model is the lack of the suspension style headband and the metal mesh behind the metal grills?

My main hang up in going with an older model is the lack of warranty coverage (mainly for the drivers) and the comfort of the older style headband. I know a suspension band can be purchased from Audeze should I find the padded headband really uncomfortable but I'd rather not have to shell out an additional $125 for a bit of spring steel and a strip of perforated leather.

2016 was the last major re-voicing, so any two of the same model headphones past that point should have the same sound, barring slight unit variation, pad wear, etc. They have the fazors too, and foam behind the grills.

Even out of warranty, Audeze will service the headphones. For the LCD-2, such service is a couple hundred bucks and shipping, but you can also contact them to get an exact number. They won't leave you hanging out to dry. In fact, Audeze may be the safest headphones to buy used because of that.

The headband is a matter of preference. Personally, I actually prefer the older style. For my head, it's more comfortable and there's no leather strap to worry about stretching out over time. But that's me. Give it a shot and, like you mentioned, you can always buy a new headband later. $125 is not nothing, but it will at least help you put off some of the cost until later. Or, you could try a ZMF Pilot Pad (or something similar) for a lot less money. Or a Lohb strap. There are some options if you don't want to spend as much.

Good luck with your search/purchase!

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #12,359 of 13,139
2016 was the last major re-voicing, so any two of the same model headphones past that point should have the same sound, barring slight unit variation, pad wear, etc. They have the fazors too, and foam behind the grills.

Even out of warranty, Audeze will service the headphones. For the LCD-2, such service is a couple hundred bucks and shipping, but you can also contact them to get an exact number. They won't leave you hanging out to dry. In fact, Audeze may be the safest headphones to buy used because of that.

The headband is a matter of preference. Personally, I actually prefer the older style. For my head, it's more comfortable and there's no leather strap to worry about stretching out over time. But that's me. Give it a shot and, like you mentioned, you can always buy a new headband later. $125 is not nothing, but it will at least help you put off some of the cost until later. Or, you could try a ZMF Pilot Pad (or something similar) for a lot less money. Or a Lohb strap. There are some options if you don't want to spend as much.

Good luck with your search/purchase!
Much appreciated! This gives me some serious peace of mind in buying an older pair. Glad to hear Audeze will replace a failed driver should that ever occur, even on an older set.

Nice to know there are some additional headband options beyond the Audeze suspension headband should I find the padded band uncomfortable.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #12,360 of 13,139
Much appreciated! This gives me some serious peace of mind in buying an older pair. Glad to hear Audeze will replace a failed driver should that ever occur, even on an older set.

Nice to know there are some additional headband options beyond the Audeze suspension headband should I find the padded band uncomfortable.
I would email and ask Audeze for a ballpark figure for servicing an out-of-warranty LCD-2. IIRC, they will charge you for both drivers since they want to make sure that the cans have matched drivers with the repair bill being around $400-500 dollars per driver ($800-1000 total). Still, it is better to get the numbers from Audeze themselves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back