Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #12,376 of 13,132
I figured I’d ask on this page since it’s more active.
My new LCD2 closed backs have two small tears at the base of the leather strap.
Now I’m unsure how it got there or if I received them that way. Only been on my head for under 2 weeks.

Is this normal on these bands? Or should I contact Audio46

F1AD198A-5A51-4335-9993-2C26DADD647F.jpeg

7541EE61-142A-4B57-B663-A094DF28955D.jpeg

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #12,377 of 13,132
I figured I’d ask on this page since it’s more active.
My new LCD2 closed backs have two small tears at the base of the leather strap.
Now I’m unsure how it got there or if I received them that way. Only been on my head for under 2 weeks.

Is this normal on these bands? Or should I contact Audio46
It shouldn't split like that (checked my several months old headband replacement for my LCD-2 rev. 2). I used a spare Audeze leather strap headband (also several months old) for another can that I use frequently, and the leather strap shows no signs of splitting there after checking it just now. Granted, I stow my cans away in their respective storage box after I'm done listening with them and the LCD-2CB may weigh a little bit more. Anyways, in your case, I would take it back to the dealer so that they can either replace it themselves or work with Audeze on replacing the leather piece.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #12,378 of 13,132
This bolt(?) has started to pop out from the wood on my LCD-2, does anyone know how it is fixed in, does it use glue? Also how do you remove it?, I tried turning the hex bolt but didn't' seem to did much or maybe very tight, does the hex bolt unscrew?

PrvUxYb.jpg

Dec 22, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #12,379 of 13,132
On mine, those aluminum cylinders simply press fit into the hole in the wood. They're snug but not tight. Tension from the yoke keeps them in place. I suppose you could put a little glue in there, but that might be unnecessary, void the warranty, make them difficult to repair later, also cause cancer, impotence and make your hair fall out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 24, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #12,380 of 13,132
My new-to-me LCD-2 fazors finally arrived! Initial impressions - wow, these things are heavy, but very well built. Absolutely love the aesthetic of the Shedua wood rings and metal grills. The person I purchased them from included a Lohb strap and it's very comfortable. Also, the ear pads are massive and are very comfortable. I was a bit concerned that my ears would touch the fazors but alas, they do not.

I'm going to need a lot more listening time to get a really good handle on how these really sound but so far, listening to a playlist I frequent with a good mix of metal, funk and jazz fusion, these easily surpass the HE-400i in every aspect (unsurprisingly, I guess). Speed, quality and quantity of bass is excellent. I boosted the midrange slightly to take care of the dip and I definitely prefer how it sounds over no EQ. I'll A/B these with the 400i at some point but for now, I'm just going to run through my library and enjoy them!

Dec 24, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #12,381 of 13,132
... I boosted the midrange slightly to take care of the dip and I definitely prefer how it sounds over no EQ. I'll A/B these with the 400i at some point but for now, I'm just going to run through my library and enjoy them!
That dip is centered around 3500-4500 Hz (which to me perceptually is more treble than midrange) depending on whose measurements you trust. Having owned these cans for several years and tried a bunch of settings, here's the simple parametric EQ that I use to correct it.
+4 dB @ 3800, Q=0.9
This lifts the dip just enough to restore clarity and timbres of acoustic instruments, but gentle enough not to make the cure worse than the disease.
Some like to add a gentle bass shelf lift, but I find this unnecessary.
PS don't forget to set overall gain at -4 dB in front to avoid clipping!

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #12,382 of 13,132
That dip is centered around 3500-4500 Hz (which to me perceptually is more treble than midrange) depending on whose measurements you trust. Having owned these cans for several years and tried a bunch of settings, here's the simple parametric EQ that I use to correct it.
+4 dB @ 3800, Q=0.9
This lifts the dip just enough to restore clarity and timbres of acoustic instruments, but gentle enough not to make the cure worse than the disease.
Some like to add a gentle bass shelf lift, but I find this unnecessary.
PS don't forget to set overall gain at -4 dB in front to avoid clipping!
Nice, thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try. I assume you set this as a peak filter?

I'm currently using Oratory 1990's latest EQ settings I do quite like them over flat/no EQ. Although the +5.5 dB low shelf at 105 Hz is a bit much for my tastes. I dialed it back to +2.5 dB and I'm still not even sure that's necessary.

Dec 24, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #12,383 of 13,132
Nice, thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try. I assume you set this as a peak filter?
Yes, a standard bell curve or peak filter.

Oratory 1990's EQ settings: I am not a fan. I know he uses a sophisticated rig and measurements and they are based on research (Harman curve). Kudos to him for that, he provides a valuable service to headphone enthusiaasts.

However, those EQ settings are in my view, the example of the cure being worse than the disease. Chasing every little wiggle in the response, even when those wiggles change every time you remove and remount the headphone from the rig, even when the target response is a moving target since different people have significantly different HRTF, even when the Harman curve itself is based only on preferences.

In my view, EQ should not chase every wiggle but only correct the biggest deviations. And do so as gently as possible: using the minimum amplitude & slopes possible. Even with the biggest deviations, there's no need to fully correct them, just use enough to correct most of it. If you start with a headphone that sounds "right" to you, then it won't need much correction anyway.

That's just my opinion and experience. I'm not saying Oratory 1990 is "wrong" or his EQ is "bad". Just that it doesn't sound right to me. Individual headphone responses are varied enough that well informed people can disagree without either being "wrong".

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #12,384 of 13,132
My new-to-me LCD-2 fazors finally arrived! Initial impressions - wow, these things are heavy, but very well built. Absolutely love the aesthetic of the Shedua wood rings and metal grills. The person I purchased them from included a Lohb strap and it's very comfortable. Also, the ear pads are massive and are very comfortable. I was a bit concerned that my ears would touch the fazors but alas, they do not.

I'm going to need a lot more listening time to get a really good handle on how these really sound but so far, listening to a playlist I frequent with a good mix of metal, funk and jazz fusion, these easily surpass the HE-400i in every aspect (unsurprisingly, I guess). Speed, quality and quantity of bass is excellent. I boosted the midrange slightly to take care of the dip and I definitely prefer how it sounds over no EQ. I'll A/B these with the 400i at some point but for now, I'm just going to run through my library and enjoy them!
LCD-2s nuke the 400i's on those genres...plus HFM stuff still feels so mass produced..plasticky/fragile vs Audeze stuff.

Dec 24, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #12,385 of 13,132
However, those EQ settings are in my view, the example of the cure being worse than the disease. Chasing every little wiggle in the response, even when those wiggles change every time you remove and remount the headphone from the rig, even when the target response is a moving target since different people have significantly different HRTF, even when the Harman curve itself is based only on preferences.

In my view, EQ should not chase every wiggle but only correct the biggest deviations. And do so as gently as possible: using the minimum amplitude & slopes possible. Even with the biggest deviations, there's no need to fully correct them, just use enough to correct most of it. If you start with a headphone that sounds "right" to you, then it won't need much correction anyway.

I can certainly appreciate that perspective. I'm rather new to this hobby and when I purchased my first "real" set of headphones (HE-400i) I wasn't even aware of EQ beyond the presets in the Spotify app and enjoyed (and still do) those headphones without EQ. I then discovered the Oratory (and others) EQ settings page and started messing around with Equalizer APO / Peace. I do see the benefit and appeal of being able to "clean up" areas of the frequency response that seem lacking or somehow "wrong," or are maybe overly harsh / sibilant, but at some point you're taking away from the headphone in and of itself when getting too far into these changes. I'm guessing unit variance is prevalent with every brand/model (to some very small degree, but I imagine no two sets are completely identical in frequency response / tonality) so it does seem like you'll just end up chasing the "correct" FR and tonality with EQ changes but never end up just purely listening to the headphones.

At the end of the day, we're all (I hope!) into this hobby for the music. The last thing I want is to constantly feel like I'm missing out or could improve the sound of my headphones. To me, that takes away from the relaxation and enjoyment I get from just listening to music.

I applied a +4 dB at 3800 Hz (peak filter) per your recommendation. I'm going to leave the EQ as-is for a while and see how I like it.

@Lohb - You aren't kidding. I didn't think the difference between the 400i and the LCD-2 would be that drastic. It is. The build quality isn't even on the same playing field.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #12,386 of 13,132
Sorry if this has been asked,but I cant seem to find the info in this lengthy thread.Have the leather pads changed over the years?I have a pre fazor LCD-2 that I’m considering a pad change with,would the current pads on Audeze’s website be a little different than my older set?I would hate to lose any of the sound characteristics just for a cosmetic upgrade.Thought I read somewhere the newer ones are a little softer,not sure how they would effect the sound.

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #12,387 of 13,132
Sorry if this has been asked,but I cant seem to find the info in this lengthy thread.Have the leather pads changed over the years?I have a pre fazor LCD-2 that I’m considering a pad change with,would the current pads on Audeze’s website be a little different than my older set?I would hate to lose any of the sound characteristics just for a cosmetic upgrade.Thought I read somewhere the newer ones are a little softer,not sure how they would effect the sound.
Will be fine IMO. The alternate after-market pads will change things, and their leather is not as good. I am messing with a less deep pair of pads on LCD-XC just now only to take the treble down and mids up...

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #12,388 of 13,132
... Have the leather pads changed over the years? ...
Yes. My first LCD-2 was in 2014 and it had real dead animal leather (read somewhere it was sheep). My 2016 LCD-2 uses fake leather "pleather". And when I sent my old 2014 in to get the drivers replaced, it came back with the newer pleather ear pads.

Yes, earpad material can definitely change the sound. The effect is audible and measureable. The biggest difference is between pads that seal (like leather/pleather), and those that don't (like cloth/velour). And between pads having different size or thickness. But there still are smaller differences between pads of the same size & shape, and similar material, like leather vs. pleather.

PS: real dead animal leather isn't necessarily better than synthetic pleather. The synthetic may actually be better sonically since it can be fabricated to more consistent standards.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #12,389 of 13,132
All the LCD-2C use a pleather pad.Pretty sure that ALL the LCD-2's with wooden cups come with real leather pads?My question was specific to the leather pads,are the pre fazor leather pads a little different from the current leather pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back