Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 4, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #10,996 of 13,134
Hi everyone,
I am looking to upgrade my chain. I have LCD2.2 with fazors, schitt Bifrost MB and Schitt Lyr 2 with 20+ tubes. I am looking to improve the groove for rock music. This actual chain can be very satisfying for some music but for alternative rock there is something missing and the crunch of the electric guitar is definitely not there. What do you suggest, new headphones, new DAC or new amp or keep rolling the tubes? Thanks for any suggestion.

May 5, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #10,997 of 13,134
My notes from the brief listen I had with the PM-1 were:
"More refined and slightly ‘larger’ sound than the PM-2 but still not “real to life’. lacking some treble extension and needs “ears adjustment” switching form real life to headphones. Beautifully built though and lovely cable"

The tonality was wrong for me. I seemed a bit 'disconnected' from the music, whereas with the LCD-2 the instruments are right there in front of you and their tone was the same as my normal hearing without headphones on, so no ''ears adjustment' was necessary...if that makes sense?.

Quite brief, I know, but hopefully a bit of use

May 5, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #10,998 of 13,134
Hi everyone,
I am looking to upgrade my chain. I have LCD2.2 with fazors, schitt Bifrost MB and Schitt Lyr 2 with 20+ tubes. I am looking to improve the groove for rock music. This actual chain can be very satisfying for some music but for alternative rock there is something missing and the crunch of the electric guitar is definitely not there. What do you suggest, new headphones, new DAC or new amp or keep rolling the tubes? Thanks for any suggestion.

For rock and classic rock the LCD-2 just didn't get me in to the toe tapping bobbing the head phase, but my RS2e and Nhoord and Ypsilon R1 builds are really good with rock and classic rock, for me and a few friends. While I love my LCD-2f its not a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to some genre of music. its where having different headphones help to me at least.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #10,999 of 13,134
I find the LCDF perfect for rock. My Grado RS1i was too peaky and spikey. Different ears eh?

My Forza colour series cable arrived as did my Lohb strap. What a difference. Cable is more convenient. Lohb is amazing comfy.

May 5, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #11,000 of 13,134
I listen to my LCD-2 with rock and death metal all the time. It's my favorite headphone for it. Not sure what it is that people don't like about it. Transient response and flat mids make it amazing.

May 5, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #11,001 of 13,134
Then it perhaps the amplification with tubes the problem. The fast punchy slam is not there, neither the crunch. Will perhaps need a solid state amp for rock.

May 5, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #11,002 of 13,134
I guess it depends on what people search for in their listening experience. I like to relax with music so i'm not after an agressive sound sig. The LCD 2 sounded fantastic listening to santana or floyd. However, listening to doom metal it sounded good but i started to see your point of view ScareDe2.

May 5, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #11,003 of 13,134
I find the LCDF perfect for rock. My Grado RS1i was too peaky and spikey. Different ears eh?

My Forza colour series cable arrived as did my Lohb strap. What a difference. Cable is more convenient. Lohb is amazing comfy.

"different ears" is most likely but it could also be the Grado "i" series, the new "e" series is tuned a bit differently, better bass and less harsh highs from what I've noticed with the ones that I've had the chance to sample both version.

I listen to my LCD-2 with rock and death metal all the time. It's my favorite headphone for it. Not sure what it is that people don't like about it. Transient response and flat mids make it amazing.

For me the tone of the LCD-2f is a bit off for rock and classic rock compared to my RS2e along with the Nhoord and Ypsilon custom builds. Another thing could be that my modded RS2e has more perceived bass than my LCD-2f and seems more life like to me.

May 6, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #11,004 of 13,134
I will try the LISST tubes, suppose to transform the LYR2 in a 100% solid state amp. Will let you know if it improves the slam and crunch.

May 6, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #11,005 of 13,134
The LCD2F is perfect to me. I couldn't stand it to be any brighter. It's far better than the LCD3 to my ears.

May 6, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #11,007 of 13,134
Has anyone had the finish chip very easily on the headphones. I set them down a little hard (and I mean a little) and the finish chipped. I have only had these for a few months, and so far I am disappointing in the build quality. I have had Senn's that I have beaten the heck out of with no issues. Do you think that would be a warranty thing, or am I just stuck with chipped expensive headphones?

May 6, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #11,008 of 13,134
Has anyone had the finish chip very easily on the headphones. I set them down a little hard (and I mean a little) and the finish chipped. I have only had these for a few months, and so far I am disappointing in the build quality. I have had Senn's that I have beaten the heck out of with no issues. Do you think that would be a warranty thing, or am I just stuck with chipped expensive headphones?

My two bamboo ones chipped very easily and my rosewood ones cracked. I now have the aluminum version and no problems (and they are the best sounding out of all of them)...

May 6, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #11,009 of 13,134
My two bamboo ones chipped very easily and my rosewood ones cracked. I now have the aluminum version and no problems (and they are the best sounding out of all of them)...

Just curious, if you have had so many pairs have quality issues, why do you keep buying them. I know they sound good, but I don't think I will get another pair if I have to baby them the whole time. I don't abuse headphones but I also don't think they should chip with the slightest bump.

May 7, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #11,010 of 13,134
Just curious, if you have had so many pairs have quality issues, why do you keep buying them. I know they sound good, but I don't think I will get another pair if I have to baby them the whole time. I don't abuse headphones but I also don't think they should chip with the slightest bump.

I think you and the other person might be a little rough with your gear, my LCD-2s are about 3 years old and still look brand new, no chips or scratches on them. Of all the headphones that I own only a few have some light scratches, a 4 yr old Vmoda XS and 8 yr old MDR-7506, only because I travel with them and stuff them in my hand carry without a case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back