Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #10,171 of 13,134
  What would be the best amp to match to these? I already have a schiitz modi dac so I am probably only looking to upgrade my amplifier, which is a magni 2. Also, what sort of difference should I expect with a so called "higher quality" amplifier? What does it actually do? What difference does it actually make to the sound? The magni 2 sounds pretty good, I'm just curious to know what if I could get it to sound better than it already does. 

Since the LCD-2 is not difficult to drive your Magni2 does a decent job as you noted.

Of the higher end amps I've heard the LCD-2 on the ones that made the most noticeable difference from my Lyr2, Ember and Teac AH-01:  Liquid Glass, Liquid Carbon, Hugo, HA-501 and MHA-100, the sound gets better dynamics, weight in the bass as well as a bit better extension both lower and higher and with the Liquid Glass and MHA-100 a better defined sound stage.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #10,173 of 13,134
Sooo, I finally might be getting around to buying a pair of LCD2s for myself in the next month or two, but now I am getting myself into a position where I kind of want to sell my Valhalla 2 to get something that would be a "just as good as Valhalla 2" match for HD600 and also a good match for LCD2.
I was thinking about going with Jotunheim or something else sub 600-700$-ish. You guys think that is a "safe" way to go ? 

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #10,174 of 13,134
  Sooo, I finally might be getting around to buying a pair of LCD2s for myself in the next month or two, but now I am getting myself into a position where I kind of want to sell my Valhalla 2 to get something that would be a "just as good as Valhalla 2" match for HD600 and also a good match for LCD2.
I was thinking about going with Jotunheim or something else sub 600-700$-ish. You guys think that is a "safe" way to go ? 

I have the HD650 and LCD2.  They both sound great on the Jot.

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #10,175 of 13,134

Instead of getting an LCD-2 why don't you put your money towards a high end DAC and Amp. The Black Widow for example paired with a 600/650 with out performs and LCD-2..unless you want them for bass texture and extension?

I have the same amp but I have a 650 instead of a 600. When I see people with a HD6XX that want to buy other headphones that cost more I can't help but tho damn if only they knew they have the perfect headphone already that just needs that next level amp.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #10,176 of 13,134
Instead of getting an LCD-2 why don't you put your money towards a high end DAC and Amp. The Black Widow for example paired with a 600/650 with out performs and LCD-2..unless you want them for bass texture and extension?

I have the same amp but I have a 650 instead of a 600. When I see people with a HD6XX that want to buy other headphones that cost more I can't help but tho damn if only they knew they have the perfect headphone already that just needs that next level amp.

This gives me second thoughts. I've both of the HD6xx and the LCD-2 shipping to my address now and I'm thinking of selling off the HD6xx because I'm under the impression that the LCD-2 is on a different league from the HD6xx. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #10,177 of 13,134

If you like the pairing of your HD-600 and Valhalla2 keep them together.  The LCD-2 is a great headphone but its not a "huge" improvement over the HD-600 in all aspects such as comfort and IMO the mids of the HD-600 are a touch better than the LCD-2.  If you like a little bass and better imaging then the LCD-2 would be a better choice and make the HD-600 redundant IMO.  At this point just find a amp that pairs well with the LCD-2 and sell the Valhalla2.  But if you like the HD-600 and are looking for an alternate complimentary headphone then the LCD-2 might be a decent addition but to me they are too close in sound.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #10,178 of 13,134
my vote has to go with the LCD2...just invest in a highback armchair..
kickback with a glass of gin/shiraz.... heaven :p

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #10,179 of 13,134
I was looking to upgrade the Deckard to something more powerful... but maybe not needed for running my LCD-2f and future LCD-XC.

(Quoted from: Headphone.Guru)
Here are the power ratings for the Deckard for various headphone impedances:
20 ohms: P=4.5W *
32 ohms: P=3 W
50 ohms: P=1.8 W
70 ohms: P=1.289 W
110 ohms: P=0.82 W
300 ohms: P=0.3 W
(* W = power in Watts)

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #10,180 of 13,134

This gives me second thoughts. I've both of the HD6xx and the LCD-2 shipping to my address now and I'm thinking of selling off the HD6xx because I'm under the impression that the LCD-2 is on a different league from the HD6xx. Please correct me if I'm wrong

LCD-2 is not in a different league from HD-650/6XX but it depends on the amp.  The LCD-2 is easier to pair with many amps but a amp that has good synergy with the HD-650 takes the HD-650 to a higher level than the LCD-2 from what I've experienced so far.  Just know that the amps that make the HD-650 a really good headphone are also priced quite high, best I've heard so far are EC Balancing Act, Liquid Glass and Red Wine Isabellina.  The Feliks Elise and MicroZOTL are not far behind for quite a bit less but will need to do some tube rolling

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #10,181 of 13,134
  I was looking to upgrade the Deckard to something more powerful... but maybe not needed for running my LCD-2f and future LCD-XC.

(Quoted from: Headphone.Guru)
Here are the power ratings for the Deckard for various headphone impedances:
20 ohms: P=4.5W *
32 ohms: P=3 W
50 ohms: P=1.8 W
70 ohms: P=1.289 W
110 ohms: P=0.82 W
300 ohms: P=0.3 W
(* W = power in Watts)

Its not the watts output that is the most important, its the synergy between the amp and headphone that makes or breaks the pairing IMO.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #10,182 of 13,134
  Its not the watts output that is the most important, its the synergy between the amp and headphone that makes or breaks the pairing IMO.

Agreed, and since that is subjective... the only quantifiable item is that of power output. It is up to the end user to decide if they like how they sound together. I just wanted to make sure the Deckard had enough "Juice" to push the headphones. I already like the pairing. If it was lacking in power... I was going to look for something else (still a very high chance that I will pick up the Oppo HA-1 for my listening area).

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #10,183 of 13,134

The only way an LCD-2 would outperform a HD6XX would be of the conditions favoured the LCD-2(underdriven HD650)
I've owned a lot of LCD-2's 2 X 2016 drivers, 1 2015 fazor and a 2.2, lastly a 2.1.,

I thought the 2.1 was the best performer, there's something about the newer materials used in the current LCD-2's that seems to give poorer micro detail, less resolution and a weirdness in the treble. My 2.1's were tonally my fav headphones but my HD650 did outperform them technically in all areas apart from bass. I would rank a well driven HD650 just below a HD800 and quite a bit better than the current LCD-2's. While I still think the 2016 is a decent headphone in its own right, it is way overpriced IMO. If anyone has a HD650 and they want to try an LCD-2, seriously consider buying a better amp and source instead and you have a headphone that pulls away from the LCD-2. Even a Valhalla 2 will give better micro detail and resolution but sadly that Amp lacks the dynamics and balls to make it complete IMO.

I do miss my LCD-2.1 it had such a beautiful tone, if their reliability wasn't so bad that would be my only headphone regardless of its failings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back