Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #10,081 of 13,139
I think it all depends. The LCD-2f easily outpaces the EL-8 Open (2016) that i had. IMHO, the EL-8 was a definite upgrade from the 400i. Though, $250 for the 400i is a good deal. $500 for the LCD-2f is fantastic. I'd pay $700-800 for them, but very happy that i got them on Black Friday deal. It does help to amp them properly as well.

The only thing that really hold back the LCD-2 and all LCD series headphones is the weight, and with a average clamping force they can fall off if you move your head forward or backwards.

I actually like my EL8 open (2014) better than my LCD-2f, mostly due to the weight issue but also because the mids of my EL8 are more natural to me and they have a touch better sub-bass as well, seems like my EL8 is a freak in this.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #10,082 of 13,139
The only thing that really hold back the LCD-2 and all LCD series headphones is the weight, and which a average clamping force they can fall off if you move your head forward or backwards.

I actually like my EL8 open (2014) better than my LCD-2f, mostly due to the weight issue but also because the mids of my EL8 are more natural to me and they have a touch better sub-bass as well, seems like my EL8 is a freak in this.

I would have to agree. I didn't get that sense with the EL-8 (with the supposedly better equipped drivers). I used my Schiit stack, and while I felt it sounded decent, it took the Deckard to sound better. Once that happened, it wasn't a little better. I still think the EL-8 is a good headphone, but thinness that the EL-8 had made the fuller LCD-2f nicer to me. Thus, the EL-8 were sold off.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #10,083 of 13,139
I have returned to say that I have absolutely no regrets and these are producing the best sounds I have ever heard, ever. I was going to upgrade from modi/magni stack soon but right now I feel no interest, I just want to listen to music and forget about gear

I am definitely in love 

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #10,084 of 13,139
  I have returned to say that I have absolutely no regrets and these are producing the best sounds I have ever heard, ever. I was going to upgrade from modi/magni stack soon but right now I feel no interest, I just want to listen to music and forget about gear

I am definitely in love 

Awesome! Now... take your headphones and go to your nearest Best Buy Magnolia and try them out on the Audeze Deckard.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #10,085 of 13,139
Not really the same signature, is it? You want exceptional bass, and a good helping of it. Elear isn't what I would go to for that.

Very true, I thought I might end up selling my LCD-2F after getting the Elear but they are quite different..  For EDM the Focal's can't touch the LCD-2...

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #10,086 of 13,139
lcd2 got best bass, rich multi layered with texture and undertones that go on and on.    Just like a subwoofer sounds in a room...

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #10,087 of 13,139
Hey, I just ordered these on the 25th. Anyone know a good neutral solid state amp under 500 dollars which would be a good match for them? I have a schiitz magni 2 and if it will be a noticeable upgrade without scaling up the amplifier, then it might not be necessary, but if it's just going to be no better than my hd650s if I don't scale up my amplifier I would like to upgrade it to something modestly better. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #10,088 of 13,139

Very true, I thought I might end up selling my LCD-2F after getting the Elear but they are quite different..  For EDM the Focal's can't touch the LCD-2...

Thanks!

Can you explain me the differences? 
EDM = eletronic music?

popcorn.gif

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #10,089 of 13,139
  Hey, I just ordered these on the 25th. Anyone know a good neutral solid state amp under 500 dollars which would be a good match for them? I have a schiitz magni 2 and if it will be a noticeable upgrade without scaling up the amplifier, then it might not be necessary, but if it's just going to be no better than my hd650s if I don't scale up my amplifier I would like to upgrade it to something modestly better. 

The Audeze Deckard is what I recommend under $1000.

You may have to get a demo or used one if you want it under $500, but it's well worth that and more with the LCD-2f and even with the HD 650s.

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #10,090 of 13,139
Has anyone found anything remotely close to the midrange presentation offered on the LCD-2.2 pre-fazor? 

I had a fazored LCD-2.2 w/ Schiit Mjolnir and it didn't come CLOSE to my pre-fazor on my Fiio X3-II. I'm trying to find absolutely any headphone with a similar midrange.

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #10,091 of 13,139
  The Audeze Deckard is what I recommend under $1000.

You may have to get a demo or used one if you want it under $500, but it's well worth that and more with the LCD-2f and even with the HD 650s.

That thing looks pretty nice. Do they make it with just the amp and not the dac though? I already have a dac and I'd be happy to pay less so I could just get the amp. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #10,092 of 13,139
  That thing looks pretty nice. Do they make it with just the amp and not the dac though? I already have a dac and I'd be happy to pay less so I could just get the amp. 

No, it's all integrated. But i'm sure you can just bypass the DAC part of the amp by going directly through the RCA input rather than the digital. That way you can use it with another DAC. But I highly recommend the Amp/Dac combo the Deckard provides. It sounds effortless with the LCD-2f.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #10,093 of 13,139
Does anyone know the pin layout for the stock (flat) LCD-2 cable? I'm going to re-terminate it with an XLR jack. I would assume the positive for the left & right would be on the edges of the flat cable & the two grounds would be in the middle. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #10,094 of 13,139

Quote:
Does anyone know the pin layout for the stock (flat) LCD-2 cable? I'm going to re-terminate it with an XLR jack. I would assume the positive for the left & right would be on the edges of the flat cable & the two grounds would be in the middle. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

only way to be sure is to use a multi-meter after you cut off the 1/4 jack since you can't open up mini-XLR or 1/4 jack to see which wires go where.  I haven't touched my stock cable so I can't be sure but your reasoning of the positives on the outer edge and grounds in the middle has a 50% chance of being right.  This is the pin out for the mini-XLR

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #10,095 of 13,139
My Paracord should be in today. I'm actually building a cable for mine. It will terminate into a 4 pin Mini-XLR male. Then I'm making a few "ends" that will be 3.5mm and 6.5mm for now. I don't currently have a need for Balanced 4 pin, but the option is available if I get a balanced headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back