Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #10,068 of 13,139
  I've been skimming the posts the last few days. I'm curious to see your impressions of the Deckard now that you got it.

I've been doing some listening on and off. It is a "warm" sounding amp. I'd say almost tube like. I definitely feel it was a nice upgrade from the Modi2U/Vali2 combo that I had (both with stock tube and better sounding E88CC BEL tube). It seems to be slightly less detailed than the Modi2U (from memory), but that could also be the type of presentation the DAC in the Deckard has vs that of the Modi2U. I feel the Deckard & DAC is more musical. It also retains a bit more clarity over using my LG V20 as the DAC. In the end. I'm quite happy with this "toasty" purchase. Toasty, because the Class "A" amp in it warms up quite a bit. I don't really feel the need to continue searching for another DAC/Amp for my desktop. Now I can look towards upgrading items in my 2.1 setup.

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #10,069 of 13,139
  I've been doing some listening on and off. It is a "warm" sounding amp. I'd say almost tube like. I definitely feel it was a nice upgrade from the Modi2U/Vali2 combo that I had (both with stock tube and better sounding E88CC BEL tube). It seems to be slightly less detailed than the Modi2U (from memory), but that could also be the type of presentation the DAC in the Deckard has vs that of the Modi2U. I feel the Deckard & DAC is more musical. It also retains a bit more clarity over using my LG V20 as the DAC. In the end. I'm quite happy with this "toasty" purchase. Toasty, because the Class "A" amp in it warms up quite a bit. I don't really feel the need to continue searching for another DAC/Amp for my desktop. Now I can look towards upgrading items in my 2.1 setup.

Haha awesome!

I'm pretty sure you can still pair up a Modi2U with the amp part of the Deckard if you liked the Modi detail better. Though i'm not entirely sure.

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #10,070 of 13,139
  Haha awesome!

I'm pretty sure you can still pair up a Modi2U with the amp part of the Deckard if you liked the Modi detail better. Though i'm not entirely sure.

When I mean slightly, it would be "ever so slightly". It could also be that the Modi2U had a more "stale" presentation that made it seem more detailed? Not sure, but definitely not interested in finding out. I'm quite happy with the setup.

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #10,071 of 13,139
just got back LCD-2 from repair from local dealer in Thailand (deco2000) through local shop. just feel really disappointed.
- The dealer took 4 monnths to repair
- physically, the headphones seemed to be in bad contions when i got them back
- Sonically, feel inferior to the ones before being repaired.
I was skeptical. I then sent messages to Audeze to check whether my lcd2 was really sent for repair. Audeze replied that they could not find a record of my lcd2 to be repaired and ask me to contact local dealer without any other help, which was very disappointing as well. They said my lcd-2 might be repaired regionally. That was it. I wonder whether this is true. I have tried to contact local dealer without response so far.
Anyone has any advice?

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #10,072 of 13,139
When I mean slightly, it would be "ever so slightly". It could also be that the Modi2U had a more "stale" presentation that made it seem more detailed? Not sure, but definitely not interested in finding out. I'm quite happy with the setup.

Deckard is awesome! It also pairs awesome with the hifiman planars, and all types of other headphones with the 3 gain settings. Just a great desktop amp for someone who wants a great desktop amp. :)

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #10,073 of 13,139
Greetings Music Friends!

I would like your sincerely and honest opinion to help me in my next headphone acquisition.
Since 2012 I was planning a US travel to buy some AUDEZE headphone. My focus was LCD-2.
04  years later and in March i'll be in Washington.
My biggest concern is, since 2012, new headphones appeared and seems to surpass LCD-2.
I already has a Senn HD800, Senn Mx550 and Shure 846.
I love the HD800, but there are some musics that you just can't listen with them. (without having a pos traumatic stress disorder)
In those case I use the shure 846, and life goes on...

I'm looking for the audeze sound: bass and meaty mids.
For 1000 dollars, LCD-2 stills the real deal???
Or do your recommend me another headphone, in your experience?

thank you!
L3000.gif

dvdlucena

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #10,074 of 13,139
In that price range, and for that signature, the LCD-2 is probably still the best.

Now if you were in the LCD-3 territory, there might be better options than Audeze.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #10,076 of 13,139
I tried 1964 quads, Shure E5, and some Sennheisers iems, and believe it or not...the Monster Copper Turbine Pro absolutely destroyed them all. Yes, even the custom molded couldn't hold a candle to the MTPC. They are the closest thing I've found to a home theater sound. Bass is fast and tight. Sub bass resonates your head, guitars and vocals are rich and the top end has just the right amount of sparkle and never harsh. Too bad they are discontinued. I'm lucky enough to have 2 pair. But I'm having a great time experimenting with cans. And I think I'll find that magic soon, just gotta wait for that amp/dac to arrive. But unamped, Denon is really hitting some marks. Dying to get this LCD2 some power! Can't hardly stand the wait.

Just a little update from my experience to becoming a can fan. I have been enjoying the Deckard with the LCD-2.2 for a little while now, and have been letting them burn in for a bit during work hours. To my ears, as they continue to get some use, I'm either getting use to them, or they are just getting better and better with time.  Initially, I felt they were more mid focused kind of sound compared to the Denon d5K, but now...oh but now, the bass and sub bass is letting me know it means business. This is such an enjoyable experience. I now feel safe enough to maybe sell one of my d5K sets. After this, I am officially no longer just an IEM guy. Headphone rumble exists and Audeze and Denon are just what I was looking for.

As far as the Deckard, and having three gain selections; I feel it's more than just about power and db. Switching in and out phones and selecting different gains has given me the impression that moving from Low >Med> to High, it also seems to introduce a little more color; especially in the treble region. Again, it appears to somewhat brighten up the mix as you move the gain selector up, as opposed to just merely increasing the volume. I'm certainly no pro, but I know I like this whether it is a reality or just a perception. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #10,077 of 13,139
  Greetings Music Friends!

I would like your sincerely and honest opinion to help me in my next headphone acquisition.
Since 2012 I was planning a US travel to buy some AUDEZE headphone. My focus was LCD-2.
04  years later and in March i'll be in Washington.
My biggest concern is, since 2012, new headphones appeared and seems to surpass LCD-2.
I already has a Senn HD800, Senn Mx550 and Shure 846.
I love the HD800, but there are some musics that you just can't listen with them. (without having a pos traumatic stress disorder)
In those case I use the shure 846, and life goes on...

I'm looking for the audeze sound: bass and meaty mids.
For 1000 dollars, LCD-2 stills the real deal???
Or do your recommend me another headphone, in your experience?

thank you!
L3000.gif

dvdlucena

You could look at a used LCD-2 for $500 or less, they were on sale during the black Friday sale for $500 which I think is more in line with their performance with the price drops of many other headphones like the HE-400i for $250, HD-700 for $420, etc.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #10,078 of 13,139
How about the new focal Elear?

Not really the same signature, is it? You want exceptional bass, and a good helping of it. Elear isn't what I would go to for that.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #10,079 of 13,139
You could look at a used LCD-2 for $500 or less, they were on sale during the black Friday sale for $500 which I think is more in line with their performance with the price drops of many other headphones like the HE-400i for $250, HD-700 for $420, etc.

I think it all depends. The LCD-2f easily outpaces the EL-8 Open (2016) that i had. IMHO, the EL-8 was a definite upgrade from the 400i. Though, $250 for the 400i is a good deal. $500 for the LCD-2f is fantastic. I'd pay $700-800 for them, but very happy that i got them on Black Friday deal. It does help to amp them properly as well.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #10,080 of 13,139
As far as the Deckard, and having three gain selections; I feel it's more than just about power and db. Switching in and out phones and selecting different gains has given me the impression that moving from Low >Med> to High, it also seems to introduce a little more color; especially in the treble region. Again, it appears to somewhat brighten up the mix as you move the gain selector up, as opposed to just merely increasing the volume. I'm certainly no pro, but I know I like this whether it is a reality or just a perception. 

I think what you are sensing is not a change in tone, but a change in power with the gain switch. The reason they sound different when you change the gain is not so much for loudness, but the ability of the amp to properly power the headphones better and allow the drivers to actually reproduce and keep pace with your music better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back