Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #9,946 of 13,134
  Proper amping makes all the difference with the LCD2. My 2.1s sounded good through my Sheer-Audio HA006 (a Dynalo, best with high impedance headphones like the HD650), enough volume at 12 o'clock on the dial, decent low end, all around an improvement over my previous headphones (D2000, HD650, HE400). I recently grabbed a Burson Lycan which is more suited toward providing power to low impedance headphones (1.5w @ 32ohm) and the  difference is night and day. 

The bass hits much harder and has a fluidity that I've never heard before, the highs extend a bit further than they did as well.  Every facet of these improved when they were fed the power they require. You don't need to spend a ton on a amp either, the Lycan can be had for $299 USD. 

Where did you order yours from?

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #9,948 of 13,134
So far, the Denon d5000, I have found, come closest to producing the physical impact and nice quality I've been after. I hope an amp can increase the LCD's presence. It's a great experience regardless. I've yet to experience most cans many here probably have vast history with, but have decades of HT and IEM use. And even though your response was directed to Bassaddicted, I really appreciate your perspective as well! As he sounds to be in the same situation as myself to a degree.

@WayTooCrazy @bassaddicted @Scott Branham 

Part of my post to Bassaddicted, I was going to mention my Denon AH-D2000s. I absolutely love these headphones. Probably my most favourite of all the headphones I've owned. I imagine I may even like the TH-X00 Purple Hearts more.. but from what I understand about the D2000s is that they are bit cooler in tone than the D5000 and TH-series, which suits me fine. For some people, they are like ice-picks on the ears with their high-end, but to me treble should have this energy. Also, very spacious sounding, incredibly so for a closed-back design.

Honestly, while the LCD2 have a bit more refinement, I wouldn't be unhappy to just have these. The LCD2 just need a bit more bass oomph and shimmer on the high-end - something the D2000 provides. The LCD2 can be very organic, and natural, but I find that my sense of realism is engaged more by the D2000. Even the HD650 actually engaged just a bit more than the LCD2 on the high-end. However, I do have a 2.1, and I've heard other 2Fs, 3s and 3F and can say mine sounds quite different with a very nice weighty low-end (the LCD3 classic I heard was better though). My LCD2 is chocolate, velvet and wood.

The D2000 is more deep space and glass. It's the Phantom Zone of headphones 

I have to admit, most of my listening is done on the D2000 since I got them. It isolates (more than an open headphone easily, for a semi-closed I don't find they leak that badly), is eminently comfortable, is easy to drive from anything, and its presentation suits a wide-range of music but works especially well for electronic, games, and movies. I also felt it bested the HD650, which also had sleepy high-end and not as much bass extension and presence. Not to take anything away from the HD650 experience though, as it is still quality, and very 'speaker like'. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #9,949 of 13,134
This is probably a long shot, but to be specific, I'm looking to replicate the sound of RAAL tweeters(or any decent true ribbon tweeter), Accuton/Seas Excel level mid drivers in a headphone. For me, speakers (like Salk or Joseph) utilizing those drivers sound true to life, as if the performers are in the room playing live without amplification.

Hey there,

I happen to own a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s with a SVS PB-12 Plus and am looking for a similar sound from headphones. We seem to be pretty much in the exact same boat, but I might have a little bit more experience on the headphone side of things that could help. My advice will be my own opinions, but hopefully it helps!

So far throughout my journey I haven't been able to find a headphone that does everything to my liking. (To see what I've had in the past you can visit my profile...duh)
But with that being said I have been relatively close to the sound of my Sierra 2s. The closest I got in the bass/mid department was with a pair of Audeze LCD-2s (r2.1) driven in balanced mode connected to a Schiit Mjolnir 2 that was also paired with a Schiit Gungnir MB. The pairing was liquid smooth and the bass had tons of slam/accuracy. The only thing that didn't quite work out was the high end, it didn't have the sparkle that RAAL tweeters have, but the high end frequencies did still sound pretty good, not too harsh.

Now on the other side of the spectrum the only headphone I have had that sounds similar to my Sierra 2s on the high end have been my new DT 1990 Pros. Beyerdynamic was able to simmer down the treble a little bit with the latest offering of the DT 1990 Pros so they seem to have a really accurate sound without being fatiguing, much like my Sierra 2s. The DT 1990s also have a great mid range, not as liquid smooth as the Sierra 2s or the LCD-2s I had, but still very close. Now to the weak point of the DT1990s....The low end is pretty good with the 1990 Pros, but it just isn't the same that I had from the LCD-2s. Something about the planar low end is just awesome, I can't describe it.

I don't know whether or not I just need to get into the Summit-Fi territory to find headphones that will do everything for me? I suspect that a pair of LCD-4s or another pair of ultra high end headphones (Senn Orpheus, Stax maybe?) would get me the results I am looking for. But I don't know if I am ready to spend a heavy amount of cash to get a pair of headphones that might be a disappointment. I have had experience with some decently expensive headphones that honestly didn't sound that great for the price, I won't mention any names....
wink.gif

So to sum all of this up, I have been close to finding a speaker sound with some offerings, but they didn't have everything I was looking for.

Hope this helps a little! 

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #9,951 of 13,134
I bet what you guys need is a CIEM. Something like a 10 BA per side would probably do it.

I tried 1964 quads, Shure E5, and some Sennheisers iems, and believe it or not...the Monster Copper Turbine Pro absolutely destroyed them all. Yes, even the custom molded couldn't hold a candle to the MTPC. They are the closest thing I've found to a home theater sound. Bass is fast and tight. Sub bass resonates your head, guitars and vocals are rich and the top end has just the right amount of sparkle and never harsh. Too bad they are discontinued. I'm lucky enough to have 2 pair. But I'm having a great time experimenting with cans. And I think I'll find that magic soon, just gotta wait for that amp/dac to arrive. But unamped, Denon is really hitting some marks. Dying to get this LCD2 some power! Can't hardly stand the wait.

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #9,952 of 13,134
I tried 1964 quads, Shure E5, and some Sennheisers iems, and believe it or not...the Monster Copper Turbine Pro absolutely destroyed them all. Yes, even the custom molded couldn't hold a candle to the MTPC. They are the closest thing I've found to a home theater sound. Bass is fast and tight. Sub bass resonates your head, guitars and vocals are rich and the top end has just the right amount of sparkle and never harsh. Too bad they are discontinued. I'm lucky enough to have 2 pair. But I'm having a great time experimenting with cans. And I think I'll find that magic soon, just gotta wait for that amp/dac to arrive. But unamped, Denon is really hitting some marks. Dying to get this LCD2 some power! Can't hardly stand the wait.

Try CA Vega. Very unique sound.

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #9,953 of 13,134
Hello there
Can any owner of the audeze LCD 2 for the past five or six years make some comments about the durability
Of those headphones? I'm wondering to get one for me in my next travel to USA but a bit worried because in my county
I won't have any customer service.... live in Brasil

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #9,954 of 13,134
  Proper amping makes all the difference with the LCD2. My 2.1s sounded good through my Sheer-Audio HA006 (a Dynalo, best with high impedance headphones like the HD650), enough volume at 12 o'clock on the dial, decent low end, all around an improvement over my previous headphones (D2000, HD650, HE400). I recently grabbed a Burson Lycan which is more suited toward providing power to low impedance headphones (1.5w @ 32ohm) and the  difference is night and day. 

The bass hits much harder and has a fluidity that I've never heard before, the highs extend a bit further than they did as well.  Every facet of these improved when they were fed the power they require. You don't need to spend a ton on a amp either, the Lycan can be had for $299 USD. 

oh man, thanks for speaking of that amp, looks really nice...now to decide between that or a jot 

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #9,956 of 13,134
  Has anyone been able to compare the differences between the Audeze Deckard, Shiit Lyr 2 w/ decent DAC, and Jotunheim with the LCD-2s?

All things Audeze amping in this thread :wink:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/495631/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-2/8715#post_13081274

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #9,959 of 13,134
I was going to pick up a volume control device for my LCD-2... on "External Device", it pushes them fine (IMHO). Enjoying some Belleruche and rinsing that off with some Breaking Benjamin. I'm really enjoying these headphones and the LG V20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back