Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #9,271 of 13,136
Well I caved. I was going to wait for the HD6XX that is about to drop, but I needed a new amp/dac and headphones. Giving the old set up (magni/modi uber + DT880 600ohm) to my lil brother for his new PC. SO! I decided to go for my end game set up and just get the LCD-2 and the deckard. Hopefully the deckard is enough for me and this new set up floors me as much getting an amp/dac for the first time did. Now it's time to go through this thread for suggestions on upgrades and improving these beasts even more. I can't make the spending stop! haha

Hearing the LCD2 and the Deckard together blew me away compared to my more modest Schitt stack. For that headphone the deckard provided greater bass presence, treble extension, depth, amd width. It was like a flower finally opening up all the way.

The Deckard is not the amp of choice with headphones that are already bright. I dont use it with my Grado RS2e for example. But i do use it with my RS1e because of a perceived drop in treble and the deckard adds a little extra sparkle.

Anyway, i love the pairing of LCD2 and Deckard, hopefully you do too

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #9,272 of 13,136
I built my new cable for the LCD-2.

Toxic Cables Silver Poison conductors: Silver plus 1% Gold.

My first impression was that it sounded awfully dry. It definitely makes these cans brighter and more detailed. I'm still playing with EQ, but straight out, I prefer OCC copper. Maybe I'll find a mix that brings back more of the warmth.

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #9,273 of 13,136

My first impression was that it sounded awfully dry. It definitely makes these cans brighter and more detailed. I'm still playing with EQ, but straight out, I prefer OCC copper. Maybe I'll find a mix that brings back more of the warmth.

Beautiful build!  I'm jealous that you can do that.  I was using an SW22 on my LCD2F's, and I definitely had the same impression.  In particular, the bass was the hardest thing to get used to; it tightened it up but it was definitely a different flavor than with a copper based cable.  I stuck with it, and eventually my brain burned in to the point that I preferred it to a copper cable, especially with the improved clarity in the mids and upper end.  Having said that, I'm sure it was probably not the sound that the average Audeze enthusiast would be enamored with, but I ended up loving it.  I will say that I'm not one to argue that cables make a big difference in SQ, but the LCD2f's, in my opinion, definitely are affected by it. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #9,274 of 13,136
  Beautiful build!  I'm jealous that you can do that.  I was using an SW22 on my LCD2F's, and I definitely had the same impression.  In particular, the bass was the hardest thing to get used to; it tightened it up but it was definitely a different flavor than with a copper based cable.  I stuck with it, and eventually my brain burned in to the point that I preferred it to a copper cable, especially with the improved clarity in the mids and upper end.  Having said that, I'm sure it was probably not the sound that the average Audeze enthusiast would be enamored with, but I ended up loving it.  I will say that I'm not one to argue that cables make a big difference in SQ, but the LCD2f's, in my opinion, definitely are affected by it. 

I use my LCD-2 with a Forza Noir Hybrid cable (OCC Copper and Silver together). It still has the bass lightening/tightening effect, but the overall character of the headphone certainly isn't dry, just feels more accurate now. I think it's the best for it, and the cable is incredibly sturdy and well built.

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #9,275 of 13,136
Beautiful build!

Thanks, man. I think it turned out quite nice.

Sadly, building it myself didn't save me much money. The conductor was expensive with heavy shipping costs from the UK.

However, I did get those Eidolic connectors free, due to a little favor I performed for Norne Audio.

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #9,276 of 13,136

Is there a long wait for DIY parts from him or is that only on in-house builds ? Very nice finish.

Nov 9, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #9,277 of 13,136
Is there a long wait for DIY parts from him or is that only on in-house builds ? Very nice finish.

He ships out very quickly. But it still takes two weeks to get to you if you live in America.

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #9,278 of 13,136
Hi, i'm wonder if Audeze will sale off their product in Black Friday like last year :) After a long time I still cannot found a prefazor 2.2 now i think may be I should looking a newer version like fazor 2016 ( or hope that to find a used product like this will be easier ) .

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #9,279 of 13,136
  Hi, i'm wonder if Audeze will sale off their product in Black Friday like last year :) After a long time I still cannot found a prefazor 2.2 now i think may be I should looking a newer version like fazor 2016 ( or hope that to find a used product like this will be easier ) .

I got my aluminium lcd-2 from adorama for 699$ on september. I don't think it will go cheaper than that. The same deal opens up from time to time, will probably run during black friday as well. If you don't mind geting metal over wood then you can go for it.

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #9,280 of 13,136
  I got my aluminium lcd-2 from adorama for 699$ on september. I don't think it will go cheaper than that. The same deal opens up from time to time, will probably run during black friday as well. If you don't mind geting metal over wood then you can go for it.

I have the Bamboo have you compared the your Aluminum to any of the wood LCD-2s?

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #9,281 of 13,136

You can set up a price-drop alert on Adorama's website so they'll email you if you don't want to visit their website every day to check.

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #9,282 of 13,136

I have the Bamboo have you compared the your Aluminum to any of the wood LCD-2s?

Not yet as only a few people in my country actually own a LCD-2, but I know someone who does and will do a comparison if I can find some time to meet him.

You can set up a price-drop alert on Adorama's website so they'll email you if you don't want to visit their website every day to check.

@qaminh maybe you can do that.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #9,283 of 13,136
Hearing the LCD2 and the Deckard together blew me away compared to my more modest Schitt stack. For that headphone the deckard provided greater bass presence, treble extension, depth, amd width. It was like a flower finally opening up all the way.

The Deckard is not the amp of choice with headphones that are already bright. I dont use it with my Grado RS2e for example. But i do use it with my RS1e because of a perceived drop in treble and the deckard adds a little extra sparkle.

Anyway, i love the pairing of LCD2 and Deckard, hopefully you do too

Well finally came in the mail. Been listening for the past 5hrs or so, and I gotta say, they sound incredible. You explained it best, it is definitely like a flower opening up, just beautiful. Been running through some flac files, some Tool, Thrice, Between the Buried and Me, The Beatles, etc. Just floored by how great this combo sounds. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back