Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #9,181 of 13,136
  Grace designs Massdrop M9xx has quite a few fans as does the Gustard H10 (amp only).

That is way too much for me I am afraid, even $350 is over my budget technically speaking... really would like to find something for $200 range... so I am guessing Schiit Stack is my only option sadly. Surprised no other company has tried to win that market of $200 budget.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #9,182 of 13,136
Is something like the Schiit Fulla 200mw at 32 ohm capable of powering the LCD-2 ok? Or would I need the Magni 2/Labs Element?

The Fulla may not have the juice, but I haven't heard it so I can't really say.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #9,183 of 13,136
  That is way too much for me I am afraid, even $350 is over my budget technically speaking... really would like to find something for $200 range... so I am guessing Schiit Stack is my only option sadly. Surprised no other company has tried to win that market of $200 budget.

I wouldn't get anything until you have the budget to get something that will really be worth your limited funds.  Take your $200 and save until you have about $400, this is where the best bang for the buck is IMO with amps that will do your LCD-2 justice.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #9,184 of 13,136

Are you looking in the used market? Can really stretch your budget.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #9,185 of 13,136
  I wouldn't get anything until you have the budget to get something that will really be worth your limited funds.  Take your $200 and save until you have about $400, this is where the best bang for the buck is IMO with amps that will do your LCD-2 justice.

Have to agree, save a little more if possible, or certainly look used, even used Canadian audio sites are a great deal if you are in the US as the exchange rate is very good for US citizens, shipping is fast and seamless and pretty darn affordable.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #9,186 of 13,136
@DavidA, how is the game?

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #9,187 of 13,136
Actually, I started with the FiiO X5 and the e12 portable stack with my LCD-2. The e12 (not e12A) has 880mW of power @32 Ohm and didn't sound half bad with the LCD-2, and has a good bass boost. Of course there are better sounding options out there, and the decision to go with a Schiit stack, or a portable stack, or something else will be just a stopgap. The LCD-2 are resolving enough to scale with much better gear so just know that down the line you can upgrade your source chain and notice the improvements with the LCD-2. Or wait to buy better gear at a slightly higher budget.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #9,188 of 13,136

How about Audioquest Dragonfly RED. Currently have it paired up with LCD 2.2 and sounds nice. Plenty of power to drive these cans.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #9,189 of 13,136
Actually, I started with the FiiO X5 and the e12 portable stack with my LCD-2. The e12 (not e12A) has 880mW of power @32 Ohm and didn't sound half bad with the LCD-2, and has a good bass boost. Of course there are better sounding options out there, and the decision to go with a Schiit stack, or a portable stack, or something else will be just a stopgap. The LCD-2 are resolving enough to scale with much better gear so just know that down the line you can upgrade your source chain and notice the improvements with the LCD-2. Or wait to buy better gear at a slightly higher budget.

I will second the notion that the E12 does a surprisingly good job with the LCD's.  I Pair my E12 with my LG V10, and take my LCD on the go, and am quite happy.  No doubt a desktop setup could get a little more oomf, but the LCD-2 isn't THAT hard to drive...

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #9,190 of 13,136

The LCD-2 doesn't need a lot of power. It's a purely resistive load, not too low impedance, easy to drive. What's more important is a clean amplifier. The cheapest amp I have seen that is clean enough to drive the LCD-2 is Jan Meier's Corda Jazz. I have one in my second system and it is excellent. It would be hard to differentiate it from my Oppo HA-1 in a level matched double blind test. The Jazz has features you won't find at over twice the price: electronically actuated ladder stepped attenuator volume control, active balanced ground, very high quality parts and build quality.

If you want the best possible sound on a budget I can recommend what I built for my second system: An ESI Juli@ sound card, use unbalanced analog outputs to a Corda Jazz. About $400 total: $50 for the card used on eBay, $350 for the amp. Then you can listen to anything your computer can play: CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, high-res audio files, etc.

If there exist cheaper alternatives having excellent sound I would be very interested. I'm considering another little audio system for my office.

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #9,194 of 13,136

The Element is a great bang for the buck.  I've been using it since it came out.  I also have a Nuforce HDP that's been great as well ($449 new).  If you want something good to get you going for short $$, I'd part with it cheap since I'm drowning in gear.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #9,195 of 13,136
It was earlier than that. I bought my LCD-2 Fazor in April 2014. From what I read, it was one of the first.

I believe it was in Jun 2014 IIRC

The prefazor im going to buy was in 11/2013, it has no longer warranty, does it??
In a method that the lcd 2 has the driver failure, can i ask the manufacture to repair it or replace driver fazor 2016 eventhought out of warranty date (pay fees, of course) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

• DP42
Back