Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #7,517 of 13,139
LCD2 is smooth but with details. No need to make it bright and in your face. And bass is gorgeous.
If you can grab a pre-fazor, you might get it for a good price. And personally the non fazor is superior to the fazor.

Feb 16, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #7,518 of 13,139
I finally received my LCD-2 

I originally purchased a Bamboo version. However, Tony, the national sales manager, upgraded my order to a rosewood LCD-2 with no extra fee.

Now, all the anger I had is gone.

Oh boy, the sound is amazing!!! I have had a Beyer T 90 for two years. Because of their extremely elevated treble, I never thought that another headphones will sound sparkly and lively. I was thinking these LCD-2s are going to be DARK ! This is not the case at all!! In fact, now that the treble is kind of tamed down a bit, I'm kind of hearing more?! I mean the sound is detailed, with forwardish mids (which I like), with deep bass but without the overshadowing slam of like the X2, with some sparkle, just a very nice balance.

I honestly had the intention to return them after a few days. Now I have to rethink it. It looks like I'm keeping these babies. 

Oh, build quality really something to be appreciated! Just lushness and strudiness all over the headphones.

These are my initial impression.

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #7,519 of 13,139
Ever try out the HD650? It seems like it'd be very enjoyable for people in your situation. That being said I have never really had a similar issue and I have some light typical tinnitus. If I'm in a completely silent room it is sooooo annoying because my mind can't help but create noise that isn't there. The only headphones I've had that could be intolerable after long sessions were the AD700s.

Forgot about the HD650, I've heard that it's good for tinnitus sufferers as well. I was very, very close to buying one, but then found Audeze and argued with myself for a couple of months over if the upgrade was worth it and eventually pulled the trigger. It seems like the LCD-2F gives you better detail and separation than the HD650 so that's why I went that route. Would still love to hear the HD650 one day, though. If only I actually needed another open back, but I don't, I feel like the LCD-2F does everything I need. I'm only looking for a decent closed back right now, but funds are going to my home theater before it goes to another audiophile quality headphone.

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #7,520 of 13,139
  Forgot about the HD650, I've heard that it's good for tinnitus sufferers as well. I was very, very close to buying one, but then found Audeze and argued with myself for a couple of months over if the upgrade was worth it and eventually pulled the trigger. It seems like the LCD-2F gives you better detail and separation than the HD650 so that's why I went that route. Would still love to hear the HD650 one day, though. If only I actually needed another open back, but I don't, I feel like the LCD-2F does everything I need. I'm only looking for a decent closed back right now, but funds are going to my home theater before it goes to another audiophile quality headphone.

I recently got my second pair of HD650s. And while I like them, and some material will be presented more naturally, I have to say that having the HD650 the second time around has only made me appreciate my LCD2 more. The LCD2, in my opinion, is still head and shoulders above the HD650 for music listening. 

And this may sound weird, but I actually find the HD650 a bit fatiguing compared to the LCD2! The mids are just a little to present on the 650. 

I think if you were to get another headphone, you may want to consider something quite different. For me, the 650 is my work can. Makes me look forward to Mondays. :)

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #7,521 of 13,139
  I recently got my second pair of HD650s. And while I like them, and some material will be presented more naturally, I have to say that having the HD650 the second time around has only made me appreciate my LCD2 more. The LCD2, in my opinion, is still head and shoulders above the HD650 for music listening. 

And this may sound weird, but I actually find the HD650 a bit fatiguing compared to the LCD2! The mids are just a little to present on the 650. 

I think if you were to get another headphone, you may want to consider something quite different. For me, the 650 is my work can. Makes me look forward to Mondays. :)

Makes me glad that I got the LCD-2F! Money well spent.

Interesting thoughts about the HD650, but yeah I hadn't planned on getting them if I did get another open back. I think the only thing realistic for me would be an HE-6 or Ether with an Audio-GD NFB-28. The Ether C looks so amazing and I want one badly, but that's a lot of money for a headphone that I would mostly use as a portable. I use my LCD-2F at work 99% of the time, so it is definitely something that I look forward to.

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #7,523 of 13,139
Received the lcd2... And actually disappointed in the sound vs se846... I was expecting better clarity,... Going to return it and see about hd800 I guess

My only suggestion is to listen to new pair of headphones exclusively for a while to get used to the sound, then go back to your old headphones to then see where your opinion stands. A few days should be enough. Your brain will ALWAYS try to make sense of a new signature and more often than not will want to stay with what it is familiar with. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just trying to help you evaluate new gear.

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #7,524 of 13,139
My only suggestion is to listen to new pair of headphones exclusively for a while to get used to the sound, then go back to your old headphones to then see where your opinion stands. A few days should be enough. Your brain will ALWAYS try to make sense of a new signature and more often than not will want to stay with what it is familiar with. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just trying to help you evaluate new gear.

Relic has the right idea. Initial impressions are fun and all, but give it a few days before you decide whether or not you like it.

I've had headphones I loved upon first listen that slowly revealed their flaws once I grew accustomed to them. And headphones I didn't much like that I grew to cherish.

The LCD-2 I loved immediately. :D

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #7,525 of 13,139

OK, I'll give it until Friday, it may be that I'm used to the *in the head * sound of iems , lcd is definitely nice Soundstage and non fatiguing at all, which are good qualities, so far they just sound so inferior to se846, you guys are right... I'll give it some time

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #7,526 of 13,139
it may be that I'm used to the *in the head * sound of iems

That's quite possible. The LCD-2 does not lack for detail, but it will present those details differently than IEMs.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #7,527 of 13,139
Received the lcd2... And actually disappointed in the sound vs se846... I was expecting better clarity,... Going to return it and see about hd800 I guess

As few other had suggested, give it a bit time. But if the LCD2 is not the sounds you like, there is no need to live with something you don't like especially with the price point, then I would return it. As my good friend once told me: "You should get what makes your ears happy". I pair my new LCD2 with Schitt equipments and the iFi Micro iDSD that came with LCD2. I am very happy with the combo.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #7,528 of 13,139
Between the SE846, LCD-2, and HD800 NaiveSound should have a good benchmark for what he likes. All I recommend is he give each piece of gear it's due audition. There is no other way.

:beerchug:

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #7,529 of 13,139
Given his love of the se846, I highly doubt the HD800 will please him overmuch. Unless he's looking for something drastically different, which I can understand.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #7,530 of 13,139
Given his love of the se846, I highly doubt the HD800 will please him overmuch. Unless he's looking for something drastically different, which I can understand.

I still think he needs to audition it so he knows. He's asked A LOT of questions around about what will *WOW* him but the only way to really know is to audition, and a fair audition at that. He keeps saying he likes the SE846 the best, but then says he wants more highs. I recommended the Angie and he hated it. Now he's tried the LCD-2 and initial impressions weren't favourable. He's using the Mojo but perhaps a different source will have better synergy for him. I know the HD800 can be picky with the source but a lot of users have enjoyed the pairing immensely. Personally, I love the LCD-2 with the Mojo so I'm not sure where to go from here except to say........ Audition!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back