Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #6,617 of 13,134
  Got a Bifrost to pair with my Valhalla 2, got it set to 32 bit @ 96KHz, I am in Valhalla right now listening to these.

Good, but Nirvana's the goal, not Valhalla. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #6,618 of 13,134
Got my graph. not as flat as some here.
Could it be because I went for the leather pads?

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #6,619 of 13,134
1. switch pads to velour or
2. send it back for a re-check (re-measurement) or
3. could be an inaudible anomaly or
4. don't obsess about it and just enjoy the music

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #6,620 of 13,134
1. switch pads to velour or
2. send it back for a re-check (re-measurement) or
3. could be an inaudible anomaly or
4. don't obsess about it and just enjoy the music

Think I'll go with option 4 :)

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #6,622 of 13,134

$3995...hahahahahaha GTFO.  This is getting ridiculous.

+1  Absurd. 20x the cost of the materials probably.

are there any difference between the sound of rosewood and bamboo? 

Rosewood: mmmmmm (think cello)
Bamboo: screeeeech  (think violin)

jk

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #6,623 of 13,134
I was really debating on whether or not to get the LCD-3's instead of the 2's and with the release of the LCD-4, it gave me a huge reality check on what my priorities were.

Happy to have ordered a pair of brand new LCD-2's for 1/5th of the price of the LCD-4's and they should be coming in Monday.  I ordered the Bamboo/Leather combo.

Any advice for a new owner?  I will be running them out of JDSLab's Element so they should have enough power.  I was thinking of doing the headband mod but will wait to see whether or not I can stand it.  Also do you guys have any reasonable cable replacements since I heard the stock cable was awful.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #6,624 of 13,134
Also do you guys have any reasonable cable replacements since I heard the stock cable was awful.

I have no starter guide for these headphones other than to play with where they sit on your head and ears. I'm waiting for "Best in the Verse" cables to come back, ~$80 for a 5' balanced cable in custom colors - Mogami wire IIRC.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #6,625 of 13,134
   Also do you guys have any reasonable cable replacements since I heard the stock cable was awful.

You'll love them, have that same combo.

I did a lot of hunting around for a replacement as I wasn't going to pay silly money for "magic cables" but can see the stock cables breaking very quickly.

Settled on the "colour series" from Forza.
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=34

Still think this is a bit much for a cable but the only slightly cheaper source was fleabay and wasn't quite ready to trust them.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #6,627 of 13,134
LCD-2f is the best value of the Audeze line by far. Get a good DAC and amp and be happy. Diminishing returns are very noticeable from LCD-2 up.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #6,628 of 13,134
I'm waiting for a quote back from Forza Audio Works on a Noir Hybrid 1 meter cable. Noticed some knicks in my stock cable and it's really falling apart after one year. I know it's insanely spendy, I mean it's a little more than my Asgard 2 cost me, but I hate this cable so much and I really want something that is going to last a lifetime. The reviews are fantastic from everyone. I haven't seen one negative review anywhere, plus it's by far the most beautiful cable I've seen (to me). Looking forward to it for sure.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #6,629 of 13,134
I got a friend made me a DIY cable for my Audeze from Mogami gold quad microphone cable and the results is really excellent.
If you have sensitive listening skills you'll hear the difference.
For me, it sounds very close to the silver cable made by Ted but a bit more full bodied overall and it is better than any moon audio.

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #6,630 of 13,134

I have no starter guide for these headphones other than to play with where they sit on your head and ears. I'm waiting for "Best in the Verse" cables to come back, ~$80 for a 5' balanced cable in custom colors - Mogami wire IIRC.

Try doing a Mogami cable. DIY.

I got a friend made me a DIY cable for my Audeze from Mogami gold quad microphone cable and the results is really excellent.
If you have sensitive listening skills you'll hear the difference.
For me, it sounds very close to the silver cable made by Ted but a bit more full bodied overall and it is better than any moon audio.

This is this first time I have heard of a Mogami cable.  Will definitely do some research on them when I have the chance.

LCD-2f is the best value of the Audeze line by far. Get a good DAC and amp and be happy. Diminishing returns are very noticeable from LCD-2 up.

Awesome to know.  I am really excited since I have been on an EDM binge lately.  Hope these do well with classical as well.

I see you have the Burson Soloist.  I have heard many good things about this amplifier.  Does it sound the same as the SL?  And do you like the combination with your Audeze headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back