Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #6,481 of 13,134
Maybe someone could create a thread on these driver failures to see the general version demographics of it or someone from audeze could provide us with their data. It would be a learning opportunity for both. Like a mini study. A guide on how to avoid it (driver failures) if there's some, would also be good for the general consumer.

Also show people the listening habits and how they are driving them. Or if the peoe are over driving, knowing that planars love power

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #6,482 of 13,134
Audeze has publicly stated their switch to a new driver material that went into effect with the addition of the Fazor tech to the 2.2. It's more consistent and resistant to wear.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #6,483 of 13,134
Also show people the listening habits and how they are driving them. Or if the peoe are over driving, knowing that planars love power

Yes i heard that can be well driven with 400mW, its more usefull to use a good DAC and a clear amp. 1W to 4W seems to much for me. 
With HD650 was the same for me, here in head-fi they sad to amp them well etc... , but they are pretty easy to drive. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #6,484 of 13,134
  Yes i heard that can be well driven with 400mW, its more usefull to use a good DAC and a clear amp. 1W to 4W seems to much for me. 
With HD650 was the same for me, here in head-fi they sad to amp them well etc... , but they are pretty easy to drive. 

I think when people say to amp them well is means to use the correct type of amp, like high z headphone play well with OTL amps while planars love high voltage low output impedance amps.  The LCD-2 does not sound very good with my BH Crack while the HD-650 is excellent with it while the Lyr2 with certain tubes pair well with the LCD-2.

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #6,485 of 13,134
Just bought a pair of these, and got two questions for all of you. If anyone has tried HD700s, how does the soundstage compare, and is the LCD-2 as airy, arier, or less airy? Don't really know what to expect as the only orthos I've heard are the HE-400is which probably don't compare much.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #6,486 of 13,134
Just bought a pair of these, and got two questions for all of you. If anyone has tried HD700s, how does the soundstage compare, and is the LCD-2 as airy, arier, or less airy? Don't really know what to expect as the only orthos I've heard are the HE-400is which probably don't compare much.

The HD700 has a wider sound stage and has brighter and more extended treble than my LCD-2F. The LCD-2 is more boxed in that the HD700 and has slightly less bass as well. The Audeze is more accurate and has a much faster bass decay that the 700 though.

This may differ a little if you have a Pre-fazor.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #6,487 of 13,134

Sound stage of HD-700 is much wider, highs are also extended which makes it sound more airy, the bass on HD-700 is tight and goes lower than my LCD-2f, since you heard the HE-400i, the LCD-2f bass is similar but goes a little deeper IMO and is faster and more accurate than the HD-700.  Comes down to what type of sound you want, for me the HD-700 will usually get more head time due to being way more comfortable to use for extended periods.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #6,488 of 13,134
The HD700 has a wider sound stage and has brighter and more extended treble than my LCD-2F. The LCD-2 is more boxed in that the HD700 and has slightly less bass as well. The Audeze is more accurate and has a much faster bass decay that the 700 though.

This may differ a little if you have a Pre-fazor.

How much soundstage is there compared to the HD700s on a percentage basis? My main concern is that the vocals won't be able to perform as well as on the HD700s as I feel as though ariness and soundstage allow vocals to come through much better. They are also fazor.

Sound stage of HD-700 is much wider, highs are also extended which makes it sound more airy, the bass on HD-700 is tight and goes lower than my LCD-2f, since you heard the HE-400i, the LCD-2f bass is similar but goes a little deeper IMO and is faster and more accurate than the HD-700.  Comes down to what type of sound you want, for me the HD-700 will usually get more head time due to being way more comfortable to use for extended periods.

I'm getting more concerned now. Didn't really like the bass too much on the HE-400is, there wasn't as much as the T90s can produce but it was hella rich, if it's rich and deep I can play around with an EQ to get it to be perfect for me...if even necessary.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #6,489 of 13,134
I'd say, HD700 is like a concert hall and the LCD-2F is like listening to a band at your local bar. The vocals should be just as good or better than the HD700, just because vocals sit behind the treble a little on those on some songs. The LCD-2F should be a good compliment to the HD700, they sound very different.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #6,490 of 13,134
I'd say, HD700 is like a concert hall and the LCD-2F is like listening to a band at your local bar. The vocals should be just as good or better than the HD700, just because vocals sit behind the treble a little on those on some songs. The LCD-2F should be a good compliment to the HD700, they sound very different.

That should be fine...I hope. These are up to replacing the HD700s though. Have either of you tried the T90s? If so, how does the soundstage compare on those? So long as they aren't as bad as the soundstage on those then I should end up liking them.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #6,491 of 13,134

That should be fine...I hope. These are up to replacing the HD700s though. Have either of you tried the T90s? If so, how does the soundstage compare on those? So long as they aren't as bad as the soundstage on those then I should end up liking them.

I have a T1 and DT-990 premium and these present the highs differently than the HD-700, much more airy and wider soundstage, the bass on the DT-990 is close to the HD-700 while the bass on the T1 is more full/solid IMO.  Note that the DAC/amp makes a difference on the sound of these headphones, I use a UD-301 DAC and a Ember for the HD-700, while the T1 and DT-990 are driven by a Bifrost and BH Crack.  My LCD-2f is driven by UD-301 and Lyr2, these are the best pairings that I have come up with after trying the different equipment that I currently have so YMMV.

Another thing is I tend to keep most of my headphones for their different sound signatures and don't really think of getting different headphones to "upgrade" from one to another.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #6,492 of 13,134

I have a T1 and DT-990 premium and these present the highs differently than the HD-700, much more airy and wider soundstage, the bass on the DT-990 is close to the HD-700 while the bass on the T1 is more full/solid IMO.  Note that the DAC/amp makes a difference on the sound of these headphones, I use a UD-301 DAC and a Ember for the HD-700, while the T1 and DT-990 are driven by a Bifrost and BH Crack.  My LCD-2f is driven by UD-301 and Lyr2, these are the best pairings that I have come up with after trying the different equipment that I currently have so YMMV.

Another thing is I tend to keep most of my headphones for their different sound signatures and don't really think of getting different headphones to "upgrade" from one to another.

I have a pair of T1s I'm trying as well, didn't ask as I know that has a slightly wider soundstage than the HD700s in my opinion. I've also had DT990s, but I couldn't push the bass even slightly further so I went to the T90s. I don't really want more than one as I have a certain sound signature I like, that being good quality bass that hits low and is rich as well as rich, full, and airy vocals combined with a wide soundstage.

So long as they don't have a very cluttered sound like the T90s have, I will probably like them. If anyone had tried T90s, definitely want your opinion on how the soundstage compares between the two.

Thanks for the help so far.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #6,493 of 13,134

I have a pair of T1s I'm trying as well, didn't ask as I know that has a slightly wider soundstage than the HD700s in my opinion. I've also had DT990s, but I couldn't push the bass even slightly further so I went to the T90s. I don't really want more than one as I have a certain sound signature I like, that being good quality bass that hits low and is rich as well as rich, full, and airy vocals combined with a wide soundstage.

So long as they don't have a very cluttered sound like the T90s have, I will probably like them. If anyone had tried T90s, definitely want your opinion on how the soundstage compares between the two.

Thanks for the help so far.

You have a T1 and think the T90 sounds cluttered? They sound almost exactly alike. I've owned them both.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #6,494 of 13,134
You have a T1 and think the T90 sounds cluttered? They sound almost exactly alike. I've owned them both.

I thought the T1 had a very slightly wider soundstage than the HD700s, the T90s had a very cluttered soundstage to me. It probably had something to do with me switching to Equalizer APO, for some reason the T1s really opened up with that, but they're still only slight better than both the HD700s and T90s so not worth the extra $300 for me. How does the soundstage on both compare to the LCD-2s?

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #6,495 of 13,134
It shouldn't be the Fazor model as they use a better driver material starting then, I would assume it would be the 2.1 as it was their first headphone? Though the 2.2 is thinner. Hmm.
my 2f's left driver died in six months, but I received prompt customer service from Tara. I received my headphones back in about two weeks. They've been fine now for over a year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back