Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #6,286 of 13,134
I've heard my LCD2.2 without fazor on a balanced setup once (Mjolnir and Gungnir) using a random balanced cable I've found at a meet. To me, the setup completely changed the sound of my headphone. The LCD2 became airier, soundstage increased, bass became punchier and tighter, and the highs became sparklier. It was as if a veil was taken off. I really liked what I heard. It never occurred to me whether that change was due to the cable and/or amp/DAC. Perhaps the cable was a silver cable (it was sheathed, so I couldn't tell)?

To anyone with experience with a balanced setup, do you think that the sound was attributable to the cable or the balanced architecture of the amp/DAC? Can I still get this kind of sound using Audeze's stock balanced cable?

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #6,287 of 13,134
I've heard my LCD2.2 without fazor on a balanced setup once (Mjolnir and Gungnir) using a random balanced cable I've found at a meet. To me, the setup completely changed the sound of my headphone. The LCD2 became airier, soundstage increased, bass became punchier and tighter, and the highs became sparklier. It was as if a veil was taken off. I really liked what I heard. It never occurred to me whether that change was due to the cable and/or amp/DAC. Perhaps the cable was a silver cable (it was sheathed, so I couldn't tell)?

To anyone with experience with a balanced setup, do you think that the sound was attributable to the cable or the balanced architecture of the amp/DAC? Can I still get this kind of sound using Audeze's stock balanced cable?

A great bal amp will do all of that. Less the cable. Silver cables are over-rated. Will take copper anyday. imo.
I use BHA-1 balanced out.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #6,288 of 13,134

Balanced architecture with balanced cable makes the LCD2 two time better in all department.
Bryston BHA-1 here too.

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #6,291 of 13,134
Great input from everyone, thank you all for your time!

Yes, I need to attend more meets and figure out if balanced is for me or not. As much as I admire the design, if I can save money and settle with SE output, my wallet would be happier. It is too bad I didn't have access to a stock audeze balanced cable to compare it with my stock SE cable. My friend recently got a balanced cable, so we will be ready to make comparisons next time!

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #6,292 of 13,134
I disagree, I find my balanced cable has the same sound as my non-balanced cable.

I just use it because it doubles the power output of my amplifier. 

A bal cable is not going to affect the power output of any amp.

It is the bal circuit topology of an amp that will effectively cancel noise and double the voltage output at the bal output jack.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #6,295 of 13,134
A bal cable is not going to affect the power output of any amp.

It is the bal circuit topology of an amp that will effectively cancel noise and double the voltage output at the bal output jack.

This is what I wrote:

Specs for my amp:

Balanced Mode:  Maximum Output Current: 1000mA
Output Power: 400mW/300Ω, 800mW/60Ω

Unbalanced Mode:  Maximum Output Current: 500mA
Output Power: 200mW/300Ω, 400mW/60Ω

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #6,296 of 13,134
Y'all are saying the same thing, lol. Balanced cable = both amp sections +&-, no need to nit pick over something that elementary o.0.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #6,297 of 13,134
  I disagree, I find my balanced cable has the same sound as my non-balanced cable.

No it's more than that. Slew rate is two times better, no crosstalk, less THD and the headphone is driven in push/pull. I think the latter makes a big difference particularly with orthos.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #6,298 of 13,134
  No it's more than that. Slew rate is two times better, no crosstalk, less THD and the headphone is driven in push/pull. I think the latter makes a big difference particularly with orthos.

Balanced has twice the output impedance and twice the noise.  Slew rate is doubled, but even the poorest and most inefficient amplifier these days has more than double the slew rate required to drive the slowest dynamic headphone. 

Balanced may have some technical merits, but unless it's a German Shepard doing the listening, most humans won't hear the difference. Most of the perceived differences are placebo and/or the effect of poor volume matching because balanced puts out more power, and louder sounds better to most people.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #6,299 of 13,134
  Balanced has twice the output impedance and twice the noise.  Slew rate is doubled, but even the poorest and most inefficient amplifier these days has more than double the slew rate required to drive the slowest dynamic headphone. 

Balanced may have some technical merits, but unless it's a German Shepard doing the listening, most humans won't hear the difference. Most of the perceived differences are placebo and/or the effect of poor volume matching because balanced puts out more power, and louder sounds better to most people.

Slew rate is just part of the story.
ABX test is quite difficult but me and 3 other sound engineer made a test with a lcd2rev2 on a bryston bha-1 which have a gain button of exactly 6db. So gain matching was easy and precise.
We made a blind test. So the listener didn't know whether it was balanced or not.
The result was straightforward: all of us was capable to identify if it was balanced or not. It was a no brainer.
Now I can't vouch for other hp/amp but this was my experience with the bryston and the lcd2.
A German Shepard :wink:

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #6,300 of 13,134
  Slew rate is just part of the story.
ABX test is quite difficult but me and 3 other sound engineer made a test with a lcd2rev2 on a bryston bha-1 which have a gain button of exactly 6db. So gain matching was easy and precise.
We made a blind test. So the listener didn't know whether it was balanced or not.
The result was straightforward: all of us was capable to identify if it was balanced or not. It was a no brainer.
Now I can't vouch for other hp/amp but this was my experience with the bryston and the lcd2.
A German Shepard :wink:

Maybe because most of the time in balanced amps SE output is inferior. They are meant to be used as balanced so SE output is there just in case someone needs it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back