Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #5,761 of 13,134
  What I don't get about the LCD-2's is that they sound fantastic with some music such as "I'm not the only one"-Sam Smith and then when it comes to EDM (my primary genre) they sound narrow. And I still use EQ for the bass with EDM. Specifically I'll use the E11's bass boost at the 2 setting. Then it's sufficient for my tastes.

I'm building a gaming PC soon. Would any of you recommend a good soundcard? Or could I stick with an O2 + ODAC? I mean if I wanna game I can just use my A50's. Which sadly, get smoked by my LCD-2's but don't have the simulated surround sound.

A50's are wireless, correct? Sell them and do the following:

If you game on a console AND PC, than I recommend getting a X7. This will let you have the console and the PC hooked up to the same device that can drive the LCD 2's as well, if not just slightly better than the O2. You'll have to do a little bit of magic to get the mic setup the way you want, but it's a great all-in-one. It'll cost you 400$ new, and 350$ used. Then, if you want a new amp, you can just line out to the new amp with no issues. If you sell the astros and the O2+ODAC, you should have almost enough to cover an X7 and an antlion mic.

The other than that, the only other thing you can really do is get a standalone astro Mixamp or DDS for your console, than a soundcard (like the soundblaster Z.) This will run you 230ish. From there, you can hook up the O2 to both the Mixamp and the soundcard.

That said, you may want to (and this is your decision, I'm not saying you need to) find a more powerful or different amp, as I always felt like the Magni/O2 never really meshed well with the LCD 2.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #5,762 of 13,134

Anyone here try their LCD-2F without the foam inside the back grill!  I have been running mine with the Norne Solv X, with the foam removed, and the soundstage expands, better clarity!  I like it, and it's easily reversed!

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #5,764 of 13,134
Hey everyone I have a question about the comfort on my LCD-2s. I think they're fine when it comes to comfort, but is there any way to make them not feel like they're about to fall off my head all the time? I am using the revision 1 LCD-2s, which have the metal and foam headband, but are there any mods or something to make these headphones not fall off when I'm looking down? Thanks!

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #5,765 of 13,134
^^I have the exact same issue. Curious if there's a solution myself. If I can't find a decent solution, I may have to sell them in favor of the HE-560. Like you, I don't mind the comfort, but I can't really read a textbook or write while wearing them.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #5,766 of 13,134

Anyone here try their LCD-2F without the foam inside the back grill!  I have been running mine with the Norne Solv X, with the foam removed, and the soundstage expands, better clarity!  I like it, and it's easily reversed!

I'll have to try that.  I'm already happy with the sound but it seems interesting enough.  I did a similar thing with HD60s.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #5,767 of 13,134
  ^^I have the exact same issue. Curious if there's a solution myself. If I can't find a decent solution, I may have to sell them in favor of the HE-560. Like you, I don't mind the comfort, but I can't really read a textbook or write while wearing them.

That's a shame to hear. I assume they are just so heavy that when you lean forward the weight pulls them off. I take it that you have them as tight as you can?

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #5,768 of 13,134
+1
Well I don't have an O2, just thought of buying one.

The sound blaster would work. The AntLion Mic though according to their website doesn't gel with an Xbox One yet. So maybe I'll have to wait. I considered the HD800's, but that's expensive and I wouldn't be able to buy them for a while because I'm saving for a gaming PC.

Anyone have experience sending in Rev 2's to get Fazors? I've read that they work just as good while retaining more of the original sound signature.

A50's are wireless, correct? Sell them and do the following:

If you game on a console AND PC, than I recommend getting a X7. This will let you have the console and the PC hooked up to the same device that can drive the LCD 2's as well, if not just slightly better than the O2. You'll have to do a little bit of magic to get the mic setup the way you want, but it's a great all-in-one. It'll cost you 400$ new, and 350$ used. Then, if you want a new amp, you can just line out to the new amp with no issues. If you sell the astros and the O2+ODAC, you should have almost enough to cover an X7 and an antlion mic.

The other than that, the only other thing you can really do is get a standalone astro Mixamp or DDS for your console, than a soundcard (like the soundblaster Z.) This will run you 230ish. From there, you can hook up the O2 to both the Mixamp and the soundcard.

That said, you may want to (and this is your decision, I'm not saying you need to) find a more powerful or different amp, as I always felt like the Magni/O2 never really meshed well with the LCD 2.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #5,769 of 13,134

Anyone have experience sending in Rev 2's to get Fazors? I've read that they work just as good while retaining more of the original sound signature.

They don't offer that as an optional service anymore, unfortunately.  If you have to send them in for warranty, they usually replace it with fazors tho.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #5,770 of 13,134
  +1
Well I don't have an O2, just thought of buying one.

The sound blaster would work. The AntLion Mic though according to their website doesn't gel with an Xbox One yet. So maybe I'll have to wait. I considered the HD800's, but that's expensive and I wouldn't be able to buy them for a while because I'm saving for a gaming PC.

The website hasn't been updated in a long time. The antlion is a good quality mic with a standard mic 3.5mm termination. As long as you buy the One's Xbone headset adapter and a y-splitter so you can have the chat going out and the mic going in, you'll be fine. My current set up is having my Blue Yeti output to splitter and having the chat sound going into the X7. Works very well. Yours will be simpler, as you can just put the antlion mic into the mic part of the splitter. Look at the T1 for games before you consider the HD800, as that is more well rounded and works better with virtual surround (as the HD800 gets a bit weird with it on...as in TOO large.)

Regardless, Rev 2 LCD 2's are great for gaming if you can keep your neck from cramping after a long while.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #5,772 of 13,134

Yes, it's what I've done too.  It makes the mids fuller (less thin) and at the same increases the treble and thus detail, openness, airiness and soundstage. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #5,773 of 13,134
I decided to crank these for once and #$@%. They sound so amazing. The bass is so tight and thick. Vocals... Jesus! And its all so fast and coherent!

Unfortunately I generally have an easily irritated left ear ( probably saves my hearing in the long run!)

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #5,774 of 13,134
Hey I'm sure many of you have heard that Audeze was robbed last night for $250,000 worth of headphones. See here: https://www.audeze.com/

I know this is the wrong thread to post this kind of stuff but does anyone know if there's a way we could put this on the front page of head-fi? I'd really really hate for Audeze to go out of business because they were robbed of all their headphones. They are a wonderful brand and it would certainly be amazing if the head-fi community could help find the thieves (especially the Asian Hifi markets where these headphones are probably looming).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back