Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #5,731 of 13,132
thanks my friends for your answers

plz give me your opinions about fazor in lcd2 that is positive point or negative point 
i read a lot of reviews about decrease bass with fazor 
but fazor improve natural sounds and imaging 

which one is better ? ( lcd2 with fazor or without fazor ) 
thanks

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #5,732 of 13,132

plz give me your opinions about fazor in lcd2 that is positive point or negative point 

thanks

As you already stated the opinion varies. It's subjective.

If you value bass over soundstage you'd probably enjoy the non-F more.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #5,735 of 13,132
  Audeze LCD-2 is my next dream, I'm using HD600, He-400 on my MapleTree Ear+ HD.
How do you think about my opinion, is LCD-2 a worth upgrade?
Do I need to upgrade the amp for LCD-2 using?

yes the lcd-2 is a large upgrade

I went from HD 650 to LCD-2 and it was a huge upgrade

looks like your amp should be fine, but I'm not 100% sure

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #5,736 of 13,132
  Audeze LCD-2 is my next dream, I'm using HD600, He-400 on my MapleTree Ear+ HD.
How do you think about my opinion, is LCD-2 a worth upgrade?
Do I need to upgrade the amp for LCD-2 using?

I went from HD600s to LCD-2.2 fazors and they're absolutely better in every single way except for comfort.  People say the soundstage isn't as big and that might be true, but the imaging on the audezes is fantastic for hearing foot steps in battlefield and CSGO (more so than the HD600s and K70x imo)

It's totally worth the upgrade.  I was really underwhelmed at first, after hearing years of "amazing bass" about the audezes I expected them to be more bass head cans than they really are.  The fazors are probably closer to neutral than HD600s but I used my HD600s modded for 90% of the time.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #5,737 of 13,132
  I went from HD600s to LCD-2.2 fazors and they're absolutely better in every single way except for comfort.  People say the soundstage isn't as big and that might be true, but the imaging on the audezes is fantastic for hearing foot steps in battlefield and CSGO (more so than the HD600s and K70x imo)

It's totally worth the upgrade.  I was really underwhelmed at first, after hearing years of "amazing bass" about the audezes I expected them to be more bass head cans than they really are.  The fazors are probably closer to neutral than HD600s but I used my HD600s modded for 90% of the time.

I use 7.1 DSP on my HT Omega Claro + soundcard and I hook it up to my Asgard 2 to power my Alpha Dogs. Without the DSP feature the Alpha Dogs are terrible gaming headphones. Once the DSP is enabled they are some of the most unexpected and amazing gaming headphones out there. Pin point positioning is as good as the AKG K701 but with the feature of being a closed headphone (and sounding better too). I prefer the lightweight comfort and openness of my DT880 though for longer gaming sessions but during competitive matches in CS:GO the Alpha Dogs are surprising heavyweights @ $600 if you were to consider them only for gaming

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #5,738 of 13,132

Hi, what kind of modding did you do for your HD600. I love this headphone especially the comfortability, I have no plan to sell it even I go to LCD-2.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #5,739 of 13,132

Hi, what kind of modding did you do for your HD600. I love this headphone especially the comfortability, I have no plan to sell it even I go to LCD-2.

I replaced the foam that sits between the ear cushions and drivers with a thin speaker cover material (panty hose work fine too) that's supposed to lower the bass presence a little bit.  I also used them with the grilles taken off.  It seemed to open up the soundstage a bit but you can see if you think it makes enough difference yourself.  My headphones never leave my computer desk so I had nothing to lose.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #5,740 of 13,132
  I replaced the foam that sits between the ear cushions and drivers with a thin speaker cover material (panty hose work fine too) that's supposed to lower the bass presence a little bit.  I also used them with the grilles taken off.  It seemed to open up the soundstage a bit but you can see if you think it makes enough difference yourself.  My headphones never leave my computer desk so I had nothing to lose.

Too risky and lost the beauty as well haha.
I'm looking for some kind of modding for this headphone but none of them is wise and effective enough to take a risk.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #5,741 of 13,132

thanks

Look at it this way, you can extract more treble from the non-f, you cannot extract more bass from the f. Just my experience.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #5,742 of 13,132
Well my LCD-2s are now back at home and I've had a couple of hours to listen to them. I had them sent out and upgraded with Fazor drivers.

My first impression of them was that nothing has really changed with the midrange. If anything it sounds a tad bit smoother but, that's it. The treble, bass, stage and imaging is where the changes are. I find the overall balance to be lifted up, as in much closer to neutral. Still a very very slight emphasis on warmth, but it's mostly gone. The bass does sound a bit less extended, but it's not significant. The bass is just as taut and tuneful as it was before, it seems to be a bit less extended is all.

Personally this is what I was looking for in the LCD-2. More neutral sound and better imaging. I am personally very happy with the changes the Fazor brought. It reminds me very much of the Kef LS50s I used to own now which had transparent and impeccable treble response. Bravo Audeze!

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #5,743 of 13,132
If you're going to drive the LCD-2 with an O2 I'd swap out the 2068 op amp for a 5532 and run it only off wall power.  At 110 ohm the LCD-2 needs the O2 to consistently run close to the 12V rail power (9V when on battery), which is a gain of 6X.  The 2068 lacks the ability to drive that and will droop, causing energy loss mainly heard as a weak bass.  I'm also not too familiar with the AC regulation in the O2, but if it's the usual 78xx/79xx suspects those are going to pass on ripple as the there's no space inside the O2 for proper reservoir caps.  My experience with the O2 is it's great for closed-back headphones since they can sound ridiculously boomy and the weak output of the 2068 brings that under control.  With a 5532 on AC power it's suitable for low-impedance open backs like the K702.  Personally I wouldn't drive an LCD with it as it will have difficulty producing the voltages needed and will be operating too close to rail to sound good.  YMMV.

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #5,744 of 13,132
  If you're going to drive the LCD-2 with an O2 I'd swap out the 2068 op amp for a 5532 and run it only off wall power.  At 110 ohm the LCD-2 needs the O2 to consistently run close to the 12V rail power (9V when on battery), which is a gain of 6X.  The 2068 lacks the ability to drive that and will droop, causing energy loss mainly heard as a weak bass.  I'm also not too familiar with the AC regulation in the O2, but if it's the usual 78xx/79xx suspects those are going to pass on ripple as the there's no space inside the O2 for proper reservoir caps.  My experience with the O2 is it's great for closed-back headphones since they can sound ridiculously boomy and the weak output of the 2068 brings that under control.  With a 5532 on AC power it's suitable for low-impedance open backs like the K702.  Personally I wouldn't drive an LCD with it as it will have difficulty producing the voltages needed and will be operating too close to rail to sound good.  YMMV.

Could you explain why the LCD-2 needs 12 volts or 6x gain? 12 volts in the current iteration of the LCD-2 comes out to a volume of around 134 dB, on the original version which was less sensitive it would be around 125 dB. I'm currently on 2.5x gain at 50% volume with a 2.1 Vrms source, after between -15 and -20 dB of digital attenuation. It's probably too loud, honestly.

Also, where do you get 110 ohms? The current iteration is 70 ohms, and previous versions were 50 and 60 AFAIK. Even at 110 ohms 12 volts is still 1.3 Watts and gain of 31 dB above the manufacturer's sensitivity.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #5,745 of 13,132
Personally this is what I was looking for in the LCD-2. More neutral sound and better imaging. I am personally very happy with the changes the Fazor brought. It reminds me very much of the Kef LS50s I used to own now which had transparent and impeccable treble response. Bravo Audeze!

If you (or any owner) has time, I would appreciate if you could post a song or two that you feel the LCD2.2F excels with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back