Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #5,716 of 13,134
  Haven't done anything in the past 2 days other than listening music with LCD2F. I even turned off the EQ setting I was using. No need for it. Now I'm happy with the sound. Can't wait for Gustard H10 to arrive.

Have you already heard it with that amp? I would be very interested to know how those two work together.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #5,717 of 13,134

Have you already heard it with that amp? I would be very interested to know how those two work together.

Not yet. Amp arrived to the country last night but knowing DHL I'll probably get it on Friday.

So far the only good comment on H10 and LCD2F pairing in the Gustard thread has been:

The 2F + H10 combo, while providing truly high-fidelity sound, is also forgiving enough to not draw much attention to faults in recordings. The sound is just overall so smooth and "flowing" that music sounds so much NICER and enjoyable! It's such an incredible balance between being resolving/detailed and making listening to music enjoyable.

Bass is also full, natural and textured. The bass has good punch and extension. Vocals are incredibly smooth and sound like they're being projected from right in front of you. The soundstage isn't as wide as a lot of other open-backs, but the headphone makes up for it with its imaging capability - the sound is so intimate, while still having good space between each element, which are placed very specifically around your head.

If I had to live with one pair of headphones from now on, I would still be incredibly happy with LCD-2F's.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #5,718 of 13,134
I'm going to jump in before someone yells that "ANYTHING BEYOND AN O2 DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE!"

Planars like headroom, as it makes things sound better. Setting that subjective opinion inside, the Lyr 2 is a tube amp that, depending on what tubes you get, produces a warm but balancing sound for the LCD 2 (as in, can balance out some of its faults.)

The O2 doesn't give much headroom for the LCD 2 rev1, but the Lyr 2 gives it LOADS of power that it really really really wants.

That said, I honestly liked the Soloist SL better with it, so that would be a good upgrade if you like solid states.

Don't bother changing out the ODAC though unless you really really really really want to spend 1000+ for a DAC that has filters and other things in it that actually make a difference. You're good with the ODAC.

I completely disagree. O2 is enough. It can handle up to 7Vrms. That's more or less 5Vrms headroom.

Also, Soloist could not hold a candle over the O2. Even the $200 iFi nano iDSD beats it clearly. Try it.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #5,719 of 13,134
I completely disagree. O2 is enough. It can handle up to 7Vrms. That's more or less 5Vrms headroom.

Also, Soloist could not hold a candle over the O2. Even the $200 iFi nano iDSD beats it clearly. Try it.

It's the current you want with a LCD 2. And the O2 provides enough current, but not enough headroom for it to be comfortable. I feel like I'm being trolled due to the last comment (I've tried the O2 and the iDSD and didn't like the iDSD and the O2 is a tiny bit too bright with some headphones for my own tastes.) The Soloist can drive literally everything pretty well with a lot of headroom. Honestly, I'd recommend the Soloist SL over the Soloist for most things since the extra $500 for double the power might not be worth it for some people, but I find the amp incredibly musical. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I respect yours but politely disagree with you.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #5,721 of 13,134
It's the current you want with a LCD 2. And the O2 provides enough current, but not enough headroom for it to be comfortable. I feel like I'm being trolled due to the last comment (I've tried the O2 and the iDSD and didn't like the iDSD and the O2 is a tiny bit too bright with some headphones for my own tastes.) The Soloist can drive literally everything pretty well with a lot of headroom. Honestly, I'd recommend the Soloist SL over the Soloist for most things since the extra $500 for double the power might not be worth it for some people, but I find the amp incredibly musical. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I respect yours but politely disagree with you.

Not trolling, just respectfully disagreeing too.

Look, I find the O2 to be completely transparent and neutral. If I use a warm digital filter, I hear a warm sound. If I use a bright digital filter, I would hear exactly a bright sound. And you don't lose any details, whether it's bass, mids or treble. Simply amazing for the price. As I've said before, I've yet to find something better at transparency and neutrality, regardless of price.

So when you say you find the O2 bright on some of your HPs, I think that's because your HPs are bright. So O2 isn't to blame as it's just amplifying, not coloring or tweaking anything.

Headroom? You'll be having around 5Vrms of headroom. That isn't enough? Man, don't believe in the power is better argument. Once power is enough, and with enough headroom, extra power is useless.

I've compared the Soloist with the iFi nano iDSD, and the latter is CLEARLY better on all fronts, except the power of course. Bass, mids and treble are all better. I used the same HP, same player, same cable, same recordings. You clearly lose details on the Soloist vis-a-vis the iFi nano iDSD. I was really frustrated with the Soloist as it costs a lot more. And I honestly wanted to like it.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #5,723 of 13,134
Not trolling, just respectfully disagreeing too.

Look, I find the O2 to be completely transparent and neutral. If I use a warm digital filter, I hear a warm sound. If I use a bright digital filter, I would hear exactly a bright sound. And you don't lose any details, whether it's bass, mids or treble. Simply amazing for the price. As I've said before, I've yet to find something better at transparency and neutrality, regardless of price.

So when you say you find the O2 bright on some of your HPs, I think that's because your HPs are bright. So O2 isn't to blame as it's just amplifying, not coloring or tweaking anything.

Headroom? You'll be having around 5Vrms of headroom. That isn't enough? Man, don't believe in the power is better argument. Once power is enough, and with enough headroom, extra power is useless.

I've compared the Soloist with the iFi nano iDSD, and the latter is CLEARLY better on all fronts, except the power of course. Bass, mids and treble are all better. I used the same HP, same player, same cable, same recordings. You clearly lose details on the Soloist vis-a-vis the iFi nano iDSD. I was really frustrated with the Soloist as it costs a lot more. And I honestly wanted to like it.

The more power an amp has to put out, the higher the noise/distortion/THD ect ect gets. Some people are just more comfortable knowing they're applying power far away from the amp's limit, and letting the amp have more control over things. Less chance of clipping and all that. Does that justify a grand for an amp? Not really. Which is why I suggested the soloist sl, because it only goes about $300 used.

The only time you really need to spend over $500 for a solid state is a balanced one, just like the only time you need to spend over $300 dollars on a DAC is if it comes with an amp or happens to have really really good filters/is a tube DAC. Then again, there's that third case, like me, if you want a good all-in-one gaming DSP/DAC, in which case I thought it was worth it to buy a X7.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #5,724 of 13,134
Counting down the hours until mine gets here 
normal_smile .gif

I bought them mainly for EDM, but am curious how it does with acoustic/pop genres. Stuff like Colbie Callet, Leona Lewis, Alicia Keys, Liz Lawrence, etc where there is excessively raw, potent emotion in the vocals. Hoping it's not too laid back in that regard.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #5,725 of 13,134
  Counting down the hours until mine gets here 
normal_smile .gif

I bought them mainly for EDM, but am curious how it does with acoustic/pop genres. Stuff like Colbie Callet, Leona Lewis, Alicia Keys, Liz Lawrence, etc where there is excessively raw, potent emotion in the vocals. Hoping it's not too laid back in that regard.

I sounds much better for vocals than EDM IMO.  I think you'll be happy there.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #5,726 of 13,134
You know the Emotiva DC-1 is another interesting option, it's power is fairly reasonable
Power output:
750 mW into 8 ohms
1200 mW into 32 ohms
180 mW into 300 ohms
90 mW into 620 ohms

This iFi micro is also interesting:

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #5,728 of 13,134
  I bought a lcd 2 ( its second hand ) ... but i dont know that is lcd2 with fazor or without fazor ... plz guide me for finding answer this question 
thanks

You can e-mail Audeze with the serial number and they will give you info about that unit. I have heard you can also feel the fazors through the earpad foam. This is what they look like:

They're the triangle-shaped rods.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #5,729 of 13,134
  I bought a lcd 2 ( its second hand ) ... but i dont know that is lcd2 with fazor or without fazor ... plz guide me for finding answer this question 
thanks

Look in where your ears go and see if there are horizontal metal pieces.  They'll be really obvious.  Those are the fazors.

EDIT - What he said ^^^^.  You can see and feel the fazors on the inside too, as I suggested.  The pic shows you what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back