Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #5,341 of 13,134
Over a week later and Audeze still hasn't shipped my LCD-2. When should I start flipping stuff over? 
redface.gif

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #5,342 of 13,134
I'm not a believer in cables for sonics. In fact, I trust the Audeze to be the right gauge and impedance by its intentional flat design. But, the build quality is suspect. I'd go for a cheap Mogami build in the exact length you need.

I have both the Audeze balanced and SE cable. I also have the Moon Audio Silver dragon v3 balanced, Norne Audio Vanquish SE, and Canare star quad balanced.

The stock Audeze cables work very well. You won't have any issues with them. I prefer the Canare star quad over the Vanquish and the Silver dragon V3 over all of them. The silver dragon opens up the sound a bit and brings out the highs. It an all around fantastic cable.

I am a believer in cables changing the sonics. I wasn't until I spent time with them. I am without a doubt a believer now though.

I'm using the balanced cable that came with my XC right now on the LCD-2. Works as advertised. I have a feeling you'll like the LCD-2 with more power and balanced connection over the 105. Really gets the low end dynamics going. The Oppo doesn't quite have the juice these cans need.

thanks for taking the time to reply!

i'm curious as to why you mentioned the build quality of the Audeze cable is suspect.. the stock cable seems sturdy thus far. have there been reports of poor cable construction/loose contacts? i may not have chanced upon those posts yet.

some things i believe in:

1. firm believer of cables changing the sound signature.. this based on my own experiences playing the same song over, and swapping out cables (and interconnects).
2. preserving, to a certain extent, the "house sound". in this case, the Audeze sound, which i must admit, i do like a lot.
3. law of diminishing returns. unfortunately, this concept (and common sense) gets thrown far far out the window in this hobby....

i think my plan of attack is:
1. burn in headphones and stock cable and listen with the Valhalla
2. after some time, get the balanced Audeze cable, and listen with the Mjolnir
3. eventually get an aftermarket cable, likely Silver Dragon or a Norne.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #5,343 of 13,134
Why would you want them upgraded? Just buy a neutral amp...some of them costs only $150...
wink.gif

For one, they were what I wanted in the first place. And, from everything I've read, the improvement brings about changes that I would enjoy. Improved imaging would be very nice, as well as the less emphasis on bass and a bit more on the treble making them less laid back. I see you like your Rev 2s over the Fazor'd LCD-2s, but that is a matter of taste. I like my LCD-2.2s, but I do find them a tad dark for my tastes. I already bought an amp that I am sticking with, which is a Beyerdynamics A1 and I love the combo so I won't be buying a new amp.

Also, when it comes to sound, the headphones make a much larger difference than the amp does. That's like suggesting "if the headphones are dark just buy a brighter sounding cable and it will change the character of the headphones".. which in reality is not so true. It'll be a subtle change at best. The amp is the same thing. If I really wanted more neutral sound, the source would be the next thing to look at after the headphones.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #5,344 of 13,134
  Hi Jeb,
I would say (and confirmed by comparing quickly swapping between the frequency responses in the PDFs measurements from Innerfidelity) that LCD-3f is warmest, LCD-X in between and LCD-2f brightest, in which I believe LCD-2f has nailed the exact spot in terms of tonal balance. Other than that, resolution, transients and my personal preference is LCD-3f > LCD-X >> LCD-2f, meaning instruments separation, textures, inner detail, decays, etc. IMO both LCD-3f and LCD-X could lighten up a tiny little bit.

Your list of warmest to brightest doesn't match my experience listening to these at CES last week.  I think the X is easily the brightest of the bunch.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #5,345 of 13,134
Hey guys, I just picked up a pair of LCD-2's from Razordog and noticed a few interesting things I thought I would share.

Long story short, I have owned both the old school 2.2's and Fazored 2.2's in the past. This was about a year or so ago. Loved the sound of both, but could never get over the (lack) of comfort. About a month ago I decided to give the LCD's another shot a picked up a pair from B&H here in NYC. About a week after buying them I saw a great deal on an open box at Razordog, so I decided to return the first pair to B&H...

Point being, I have had in my possession two different sets of LCD-2F's in the past few weeks, and there are some interesting differences between the two. 

First two differences are:
1. Audeze has a new pelican case. Searched this thread and didn't see any mention of it, so apologies if this has already been talked about. The new pelican is deeper and has a tray that you put the headphones in. You pull the tray out and the cables and documentation are kept underneath. Much better layout than the old pelican case. Also has the new Audeze logo on top...

2. The cable is thinner than the old cable. The thickness is about the same, but the new cable is narrower. 

The last two differences are purely subjective, but I am pretty sure about them:
3. The leather headband is softer and "cushier" for lack of a better work. All other pairs of LCD's I have owned always caused uncomfortable spots on the top of my head from the stiff headband. Not so with this pair. 

4.  This pair seems lighter than other LCD-2's I have owned. They are definitely the most comfortable, so maybe I am just convincing myself of that, but they really do seem lighter.

Anyway, thought I would share and I do have pics of the new case if anyone is interested...

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #5,349 of 13,134

Long story short, I have owned both the old school 2.2's and Fazored 2.2's in the past. This was about a year or so ago. Loved the sound of both, but could never get over the (lack) of comfort. About a month ago I decided to give the LCD's another shot a picked up a pair from B&H here in NYC. About a week after buying them I saw a great deal on an open box at Razordog, so I decided to return the first pair to B&H...

Just wondering since I might drop by B&H next week.  Do they have any of the LCDs in there headphones demo stations?

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #5,351 of 13,134
I asked Audeze regarding the change in efficiency rating of the LCD series (For example the LCD-2 now quotes 101dB/mw rather than 93dB/mw before). The official response is that they have changed how measurements are done. They used to measure further inside the ear but now measure slightly outwards instead. No revision was made to the production of the LCD series. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #5,353 of 13,134
I was wondering if these can be used professionally in a studio during mixing ?
I ordered a pair and besides pleasure listening was thinking of using them while i mix  or mix-down multitrack projects.
How do you think a Grace 903 preamp will handle them ?

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #5,354 of 13,134
For one, they were what I wanted in the first place. And, from everything I've read, the improvement brings about changes that I would enjoy. Improved imaging would be very nice, as well as the less emphasis on bass and a bit more on the treble making them less laid back. I see you like your Rev 2s over the Fazor'd LCD-2s, but that is a matter of taste. I like my LCD-2.2s, but I do find them a tad dark for my tastes. I already bought an amp that I am sticking with, which is a Beyerdynamics A1 and I love the combo so I won't be buying a new amp.

Also, when it comes to sound, the headphones make a much larger difference than the amp does. That's like suggesting "if the headphones are dark just buy a brighter sounding cable and it will change the character of the headphones".. which in reality is not so true. It'll be a subtle change at best. The amp is the same thing. If I really wanted more neutral sound, the source would be the next thing to look at after the headphones.

Exactly my point, you may have a warm-dark amp, which you do (the A1). But yeah, I agree the Fazors would be more fitting with your amp. In that case maybe you should try the DIY Fazors. I've heard they give you more treble and better imaging, without losing the sub-bass and bass body and articulation of the 2.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back