Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #5,326 of 13,139
Let me put it this way. When I listened to the LCD-3 I expected a huge difference in SQ and was rewarded with a set of cans that sounded nearly the same as my LCD-2. I found the LCD-2 to sound better in the bass dept while the LCD-3 barely eeked out a win with it's mid-range. TBH the slightly better mids did nothing to win me over. I was listening the the LCD-3 & LCD-2 off a K Works Bravissimo by Brillant Zen (which was trampled by the Project Ember IMO). I was demoing both cans with the Bravissimo and Ember. Anyways I walked away thinking the LCD-3 was not worth the extra cost IMO. I'm not against the extra cost by the way. If I would have really liked them over the LCD-2 I would have sold my LCD-2 and bought the LCD-3. God knows I don't mind spending my money.

Yeah, thanks. Haven't heard the LCD-3, but that's my understanding too based on my research. Law of diminishing returns, I guess.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #5,327 of 13,139
I decided to pamper myself, so i went out and bought a new LCD2 yesterday.

My setup is Oppo 105D (CDs and FLAC) and a Schiit Valhalla (ver 1).

Well, pretty much everything sounds better on the LCD2 as compared to my Senn HD650 (paired with a Stefan Audioart Equinox cable. i've had this for 9 years, so well accustomed to the sound). The LCD2 has better soundstage, treble, mids, resolution. The LCD2 bass somewhat lacks punch (but keeping in mind this is fresh out the box). 

I have a new Schiit Mjolnir still in the box in the living room. Waiting on my Norne SolvX balanced cables for the HD650 to arrive before i break out the Mjolnir. (I ordered the Norne cable despite knowing in the back of my mind that I would eventually buy an LCD2, because deep down, I still love the HD650 dearly..)

For those with the time to answer, a question if i may : As it is, the stock single ended cable seems quite good. Would you guys even consider the balanced cable that Audeze sells, or just forego that and look up other cables like Q, Norne, Silver Dragon etc..? Does anyone have any experience with the Audeze balanced cable?

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #5,328 of 13,139
I'm not a believer in cables for sonics. In fact, I trust the Audeze to be the right gauge and impedance by its intentional flat design. But, the build quality is suspect. I'd go for a cheap Mogami build in the exact length you need.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #5,329 of 13,139
I have both the Audeze balanced and SE cable. I also have the Moon Audio Silver dragon v3 balanced, Norne Audio Vanquish SE, and Canare star quad balanced.

The stock Audeze cables work very well. You won't have any issues with them. I prefer the Canare star quad over the Vanquish and the Silver dragon V3 over all of them. The silver dragon opens up the sound a bit and brings out the highs. It an all around fantastic cable.

I am a believer in cables changing the sonics. I wasn't until I spent time with them. I am without a doubt a believer now though.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #5,331 of 13,139
  Does anyone else have problems with the stock cable seeming to get twisted up when taking their headphones on/off?  I find that I'm always having to ensure that it isn't twisted at all.

The reason I replaced the Audeze cables was due to the flat cables being too rigid and being uncomfortable when laying across me. twisting was an issue.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #5,332 of 13,139
Yeah, thanks. Haven't heard the LCD-3, but that's my understanding too based on my research. Law of diminishing returns, I guess.

The LCD-3 and LCD-2 have very similar sound signatures.  I think the LCD-3 sounds better across the board, but not by much.  Diminishing returns, for sure, but I can't deny that it is better than the LCD-2 to my ears.  I think the similar sound signature makes it harder to really differentiate the two also.

I definitely don't feel the need to upgrade to the 3 from the 2.  But I do feel the need to upgrade to the X.  Dang that can just tweaks that LCD-2 sound to be a little more lively and punchy without sacrificing any of the technical ability.  It's pretty awesome for my tastes.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #5,333 of 13,139
I decided to pamper myself, so i went out and bought a new LCD2 yesterday.

My setup is Oppo 105D (CDs and FLAC) and a Schiit Valhalla (ver 1).

Well, pretty much everything sounds better on the LCD2 as compared to my Senn HD650 (paired with a Stefan Audioart Equinox cable. i've had this for 9 years, so well accustomed to the sound). The LCD2 has better soundstage, treble, mids, resolution. The LCD2 bass somewhat lacks punch (but keeping in mind this is fresh out the box). 

I have a new Schiit Mjolnir still in the box in the living room. Waiting on my Norne SolvX balanced cables for the HD650 to arrive before i break out the Mjolnir. (I ordered the Norne cable despite knowing in the back of my mind that I would eventually buy an LCD2, because deep down, I still love the HD650 dearly..)

For those with the time to answer, a question if i may : As it is, the stock single ended cable seems quite good. Would you guys even consider the balanced cable that Audeze sells, or just forego that and look up other cables like Q, Norne, Silver Dragon etc..? Does anyone have any experience with the Audeze balanced cable?

I'm using the balanced cable that came with my XC right now on the LCD-2. Works as advertised. I have a feeling you'll like the LCD-2 with more power and balanced connection over the 105. Really gets the low end dynamics going. The Oppo doesn't quite have the juice these cans need.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #5,334 of 13,139
The LCD-3 and LCD-2 have very similar sound signatures.  I think the LCD-3 sounds better across the board, but not by much.  Diminishing returns, for sure, but I can't deny that it is better than the LCD-2 to my ears.  I think the similar sound signature makes it harder to really differentiate the two also.

I definitely don't feel the need to upgrade to the 3 from the 2.  But I do feel the need to upgrade to the X.  Dang that can just tweaks that LCD-2 sound to be a little more lively and punchy without sacrificing any of the technical ability.  It's pretty awesome for my tastes.

I felt the speed of the planar membrane is where the differences are. The texture and decay on the 3 is by far better than the 2 in my opinion. Sometimes the 2 can sound slow to me, but it's very musical and great for long sessions. Everything flows smoothly straight to the brain through the ear portals. Lol. :D

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #5,335 of 13,139

The reason I replaced the Audeze cables was due to the flat cables being too rigid and being uncomfortable when laying across me. twisting was an issue.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I've started looking for some reasonably constructed well priced cables that have good physical characteristics, like not being microphonic and not being stiff, etc.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #5,336 of 13,139

Wow Matias - I see you've got the whole line-up at your disposal.  Would you say the others are not as balanced in comparison and if so, what do they bring extra/less to the party?

Jeb.

Hi Jeb,
I would say (and confirmed by comparing quickly swapping between the frequency responses in the PDFs measurements from Innerfidelity) that LCD-3f is warmest, LCD-X in between and LCD-2f brightest, in which I believe LCD-2f has nailed the exact spot in terms of tonal balance. Other than that, resolution, transients and my personal preference is LCD-3f > LCD-X >> LCD-2f, meaning instruments separation, textures, inner detail, decays, etc. IMO both LCD-3f and LCD-X could lighten up a tiny little bit.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #5,337 of 13,139
  Hi Jeb,
I would say (and confirmed by comparing quickly swapping between the frequency responses in the PDFs measurements from Innerfidelity) that LCD-3f is warmest, LCD-X in between and LCD-2f brightest, in which I believe LCD-2f has nailed the exact spot in terms of tonal balance. Other than that, resolution, transients and my personal preference is LCD-3f > LCD-X >> LCD-2f, meaning instruments separation, textures, inner detail, decays, etc. IMO both LCD-3f and LCD-X could lighten up a tiny little bit.

Matias, very interesting.  Perhaps I'll get to try the others sometime.  Thanks for your thoughts! 

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #5,338 of 13,139
Hi Jeb,

Yeah, thanks for the thoughs. Very informative. Helps those who couldn't find a demo.

Btw, hve you compared the LCD-3f with the pre-fazor?

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #5,339 of 13,139
No, I haven't. Very curious though.

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #5,340 of 13,139

I couldn't tell any difference between my LCD-2F and LCD-3F on one of the Head-Fi meets. It was a bit noisy and I didn't have much time for critical listening, though.

So I guess the difference is there, but not $1000 difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back