Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 29, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #4,576 of 13,140
  Help?

I very recently acquired the Audeze LCD-2.2 "Classic"/(Pre-Fazor) headphones, along with an after-market balanced cable, approx. 1 meter in length.  I also have a Schiit Audio "Rag" on order, with which to drive said headphones. 

I am looking for advice regarding what and/or where to purchase reasonably priced balanced headphone extension cables for these phones, perhaps roughly 3 meters/10 feet in length...?... Incidentally, I really love that darker/"mid-hall" presentation and would not want a cable that robbed these phones of that quality.

Any advice is welcomed, and thank you in advance.

Peace/Namaste

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #4,577 of 13,140
I just ordered myself a pair of Silver Poison from Toxic Cables. Not sure if this particular cable is what you're looking for but from what I've been reading here on head-fi: TC would be rather hard to beat considering the price. Worth a look

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4,578 of 13,140
For a good value balanced cable see my post #4285.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/509710/audeze-lcd-2-impressions-thread/4275#post_10933930

8 strand silver plated litz, with paracord sleeve.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #4,579 of 13,140
  Thank you gentlemen!  I am looking primarily for copper wire cabling...I know, MOST prefer silver and/or silver-plated copper for their Audeze's, however, I really enjoy that very laid back sound signature of my Senn. HD-650's, purchased some seven years ago, prior to the revisions...however, I love the ruler-flat bass on my pre-fazor 2.2's, so as to have the best of both of those worlds...hence my desire to not brighten-up the Audeze cans.

Perhaps there is simply a well-made, reasonably priced, balanced/4 pin extension cable...terminated with a male socket at one end, and a female socket at the other...?...I don't know how much signal loss/distortion this configuration might generate, but I imagine a "Rag" could deal with it.

Peace/Namaste

Please keep those suggestions coming...

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #4,580 of 13,140
    Perhaps there is simply a well-made, reasonably priced, balanced/4 pin extension cable...terminated with a male socket at one end, and a female socket at the other...?...I don't know how much signal loss/distortion this configuration might generate, but I imagine a "Rag" could deal with it.

I like this guy's cables...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Audeze-LCD-2-LCD-3-Furutech-Headphone-Cable-Canare-Neutrik-XLR-/121442139915?

He doesn't carry any balanced for Audeze, though... (he does for Sennheiser), but I think you could ask if he would make a custom for you.
Going to be a much better deal than any of these boutique cables for sure.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #4,581 of 13,140
Q-Audio; Steve Eddy. Nowadays they call themselves 'The Audio Guild'. There's a sale on now to Christmas eve.

I bought Q cable 2-3 years ago for my LCD2r1, and now use it with the 3F. It's an extraordinarily light, flexible cable and looks great. I don't claim to have heard any 'night and day' differences - possibly a slightly clearer top end. Personally I think this nil to subtle tailoring of the sound is a recommendation.

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #4,582 of 13,140
I bought a copper litz cable from Headphone Lounge and it's great. Incredibly well priced too.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of images of it in this thread's gallery.

Oh, and he'll make whatever length you need plus fly leads or extensions so probably best to drop him an email.

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #4,583 of 13,140
I am thinking about selling my LCD-2 Fazor to get HD800, I want a bit more comfort, and a bigger soundstage. The treble doesn't bug me as I have had "bright" headphones before.   I am mostly after comfort and soundstage, which I have heard the HD800's are a master at.
(The slight decrease in bass is also ok with me)

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #4,584 of 13,140
  I am thinking about selling my LCD-2 Fazor to get HD800, I want a bit more comfort, and a bigger soundstage. The treble doesn't bug me as I have had "bright" headphones before.   I am mostly after comfort and soundstage, which I have heard the HD800's are a master at.
(The slight decrease in bass is also ok with me)

You will miss the realism though. LCD  2 sounds true to life but HD800 is more technically proficient :)

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #4,585 of 13,140
I beg to differ. If you get your chain right, HD800 can sound more realistic than lcd2 or lcd3. I sold my LCD 3f as it simply can't match the HD800 in realism in my setup.

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #4,586 of 13,140
Yes, the HD800 can sound more realistic in many ways. However, the bass impact and texture on the LCD2 is definitely better for my preferences. Comfortwise though... the HD800 does indeed win... especially for my big head haha. I just couldn't justify the extra cost before and found a better deal for a used LCD2.

I also prefer the darker sound anyhow... not a fan of sibilance. Note though, I'm not saying the HD800 is inherently sibilant to a fault. It CAN be sibilant... but that is mostly dependent on the recording and setup I find. It EXCELS with well recorded/mastered music... but poor pop songs mastered for mainstream radio will make your ears cringe. The LCD2 can smooth some of them out enough to make them listenable.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #4,587 of 13,140
Sure but froger was careful to say "can sound more realistic" and "in my setup" (emphasis added).

I've achieved breathtaking, 'completely' realistic experiences (being there) with both LCD2.1 and 3F with particular (presumably well-recorded) tracks - but it took a lot of tube-rolling and even DAC-rolling to get there!

It's not the hp (or not completely) - it's the whole chain.

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #4,589 of 13,140
I was heading to the store tomorrow to pick up the lcd2 bamboo. Open box $800. The sales manager said the LCD-x is much better. Is the x worth $500 more?

i think it depends on a lot of things
i sold my lcd x to "downsize" a little bit.  i now have the lcd2f, yes i can tell a difference, the lcd x is better in my opinion , it sounds "bigger" it paints a bigger picture
its more extended and smooth ,  the newest lcd2(f) is damn close , it's extended and smooth too. the x is just more of a good thing to me.
the question i'm asking myself right now is, "do i want to go back to the lcd x ? "  i'm still not sure. 
i can make it work, but would i want to spend the $500 on something else ? 
in the end, you have to judge for yourself, listen to both , and if you can afford it, go for the lcd x, if not, or its tight, the lcd2f is no slouch, 
you'll hardly be "slumming it" !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back