Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #2,281 of 13,134
i bought a few 1960s old cheap tubes from ebay...tungsol..sylvannia..westinghouse...rca..etc  (say around 20-50bucks range)
i didnt find a lack of clarity or muted highs...
difference could be airiness or bass impact between each tubes.
v enjoyable amp.

( my dac is the audiogd nfb10.32...i can choose between low or high gain )

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2,285 of 13,134

"Tube" amp's roll off highs. Change is susceptible from tube rolling.

Does that include hybrids? Or just "proper" tube amps that dump heaps of wattage through tubes to get amplification?

I'm wanting to pair my LCD2 with a valve amp, but now I'm having second thoughts (If there is roll-off on the highs..)

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #2,286 of 13,134
tubes give a kind of "organicity" to the sound, vs s/s amp....
wood vs metal of sorts, i hardly listen directly on s/s amp these days, cept for HE-6.

These are most of my cheapfinds... cant find one to complain about really. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #2,289 of 13,134
That burson amp gave me an impression of a beefy robust amp...
not exactly excelling in fine details side by side with my BCL then.
Not sure how the Burson+LCD2 pairing would turn out..
give it a listen b4 u pull the trigger.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #2,290 of 13,134
Has anyone had issues with the attachment points on the LCD 2s? The drivers appear to be suspended with just a thin sheet of metal that may be susceptible to bending. I'm just wondering if they could take a 3 ft fall onto carpet... not that I plan on dropping them but I wouldn't want to spend 1k on them only to have them break from an accident. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,291 of 13,134
  Has anyone had issues with the attachment points on the LCD 2s? The drivers appear to be suspended with just a thin sheet of metal that may be susceptible to bending. I'm just wondering if they could take a 3 ft fall onto carpet... not that I plan on dropping them but I wouldn't want to spend 1k on them only to have them break from an accident. 

Which revision do you have?

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #2,293 of 13,134

Given that I'm one of the ballsy folks here that have pulled apart the LCD2's to the bone, here's a re-post of the drivers from my personal pair I posted while ago.

Hope it answers your post.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #2,294 of 13,134

Given that I'm one of the ballsy folks here that have pulled apart the LCD2's to the bone, here's a re-post of the drivers from my personal pair I posted while ago.

Hope it answers your post.

Hmm, not quite what I was looking for but it was informative. I was actually referring to the pivot point where the headband meets the metal arch that holds the drivers. It just seems a little too fragile.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #2,295 of 13,134
Do not unscrew that pivot point! Been there done that. LOL.

If you need to change pads unscrew the top black screw (using your fingers as it's made of plastic and will snap off if you get careless with a screwdriver)

That pivot point, despite it's fragile looks, is just fine. I haven't heard of any cases of that coming out on it's own and I've pretty much read through both LCD-2 threads + this Appreciation thread, like over 2,000 pages of user experience.

Of course there is always a first...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back