Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #2,236 of 13,136
My unboxing back in the summer of 2011 was unforgettable. Still brings a big BIG smile on my face. LCD-2 were super hot back then. Top of the Summit-Fi world, being touted as the world's best by many many people and psuedo-audiophile-experts. People were selling off their entire collections and permanently logging off from Head-fi. Good times, it was fun. Haha. As far as I know many of those people never came back so I guess they're still enjoying their LCD-2.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #2,237 of 13,136
My unboxing back in the summer of 2011 was unforgettable. Still brings a big BIG smile on my face. LCD-2 were super hot back then. Top of the Summit-Fi world, being touted as the world's best by many many people and psuedo-audiophile-experts. People were selling off their entire collections and permanently logging off from Head-fi. Good times, it was fun. Haha. As far as I know many of those people never came back so I guess they're still enjoying their LCD-2.

This is absolutely fantastic.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #2,238 of 13,136
These are on my short list but what's the bottom line on the v2? Most of the feedback I've read on the v1 is laid back, polite, slightly recessed midrange. V2 a little different? I like a headphone with detail that can produce the strong pluck of a guitar string and solid snap of drum. I typically enjoy Prog, Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz. Will this can hold up?

Thanks in advance for the feedback everyone.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #2,239 of 13,136

New LCD-2's smell amazing. Wood, leather, and citrus wood polish. :D

Yeahhhhhhhh, I just loved it when I opened the case for the first time, and even now they smell good.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2,241 of 13,136
Hey adidino, I listen to primarily prog bands and I find the lcd2 fantastic for it. I haven't found any genre that the lcd2 doesn't do justice though. I'm addicted to that lush, liquid sound.

Thank you for the reply. I need to try find soeone for a pair here in the NY/NJ area that I can demo. I'm assuming you have the  v2's?

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #2,242 of 13,136
One thing I never really understood is the whole "liquid" sound. From what I've been able to gather, liquid sound is the opposite of textured sound, but I would consider the LCD-2's to be a very textured headphone. The snap of a string, the smack of a drum, and numerous electronic sounds are all wonderfully tactile and textured in my experience.

Unless textured means something different to me than it does for everyone else.

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,243 of 13,136
  One thing I never really understood is the whole "liquid" sound. From what I've been able to gather, liquid sound is the opposite of textured sound, but I would consider the LCD-2's to be a very textured headphone. The snap of a string, the smack of a drum, and numerous electronic sounds are all wonderfully tactile and textured in my experience.

Unless textured means something different to me than it does for everyone else.

The LCD-2 is very textured and tactile. I agree 100%, but it's also "liquid". I don't think they're necessarily opposites. Haha. There is a certain juicy/lush coloration to it, sounds better than actual reality. The HE-500 has less of this, and is more sharp/tactile/real. The difference is clear when you switch back and forth. Plus the newer Rev. 2s are not as lush/juicy as they used to be back in the day of the original R2 (IMO of course). Now they're brighter and dryer than before (in a good way).

I think they sound best off powerful solid state amps because tubes add more "liquid" where there is already enough of that going on. But hey some people like extra extra mayo, so that may just be their thing too.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #2,246 of 13,136
So, what's the consensus? SS amps are better for the LCD2 than tubes?

probably
but in having the soloist and the lyr and the mjolnir all at the same time for comparison,
the one i let go was the soloist, the lyr made the lcd more lively, more dynamic, but i like the mjo better than the lyr

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #2,249 of 13,136
I'm a big fan of how they sound out of solid state speaker amps (speaker taps, not the headphone output), they really like power in my experience. If you want a bit of a smoother sound, pair it with a Bottlehead Quickie (mine is on its way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back