Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #12,947 of 13,154
Hmmm... I wonder why the conflicting info.

For what it's worth, I use Howard Feed-N-Wax (bees wax and orange oil) on my 2016 LCD-2. I think it's the same stuff they used to include when they shipped them with a wood conditioner kit. It definitely helps keep them looking new.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #12,948 of 13,154
Hmmm... I wonder why the conflicting info.

For what it's worth, I use Howard Feed-N-Wax (bees wax and orange oil) on my 2016 LCD-2. I think it's the same stuff they used to include when they shipped them with a wood conditioner kit. It definitely helps keep them looking new.
It said that he was new. Maybe that's why. Some people may be asking for information about it for older models, so he gave me same reply as to them maybe?

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #12,949 of 13,154
Well, the gentleman I bought them from followed through and paid the $480 repair on the 2014 bamboo 2f's that I paid $425 for :grimacing: (plus 50 I paid to ship to Audeze for repair, plus 125 extra I sent the guy once I got them back from repair). All in cost for me was $600 which is more than I originally wanted to spend, but the only thing that isn't new is the wood rings. There are a couple nicks/scratches including what looks like a new one while it was out getting repaired 😭, but I'm not going to fret over it too much as it was effectively a new headband (<10hrs by previous owner), new drivers w/ 3 yr warranty and new pads with a 1 yr warranty. The warranty alone is worth it to me. I've seen enough reviews of people having qc/driver issues that the extra $200 is worth it for that alone to me.

That being said they sound a lot better when my left ear has some company :). Been a bit of a ball of stress over it since the paypal case closed while it was still getting repaired at Audeze but I expect these to be mine for quite some time. The Sundaras I picked up while waiting made me seriously doubt getting these and while these are more uncomfortable (weight wise), they are comfortable enough that I'm able to wear them for 4-6 hours at a time w/o issue. Some reviews basically said ignore them if you don't do EQ but even without EQ I'm quite enjoying them. I think they're a good complementary pair for the HD800S's I already have. These are less analytical/cold sounding and feel much more full, especially with lower frequencies.

2022-05-16 19.05.18.jpg

2022-05-16 19.05.03.jpg

2022-05-16 19.05.13.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #12,950 of 13,154
What would currently be the best cable to drive the LCD-2Fazor on a McIntosh MHA200 amplifier?

Jun 6, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #12,951 of 13,154
What would currently be the best cable to drive the LCD-2Fazor on a McIntosh MHA200 amplifier?
None at all if you mean the headphone cable.
The differences in cable sound make very little difference with planar headphones, so it is not worth investing money in them.
The influences are there but very minimal compared to a dynamic driver.
Roughly 2-3% minor adjustment in treble and midrange and a little less bass with a silver cable.

With a hybrid amplifier or tube amplifier you would have more to invest in a pair of tubes than in a cable.

Don't spend a lot of money on it, it's not worth it.
Cables for dac and amplifier as well as power cables have a better impact but there too the requirements are more relevant.
Shielded, with a good connection of the connectors and copper are completely sufficient.
An Rca or XLR cable is sufficient, and I wouldn't spend more than $100 for a power cable.
For power cables, the Isotek iritium or whatever it's called is very good and also sufficient.

Everything else is usury and snake oil.
You have a great amp, enjoy it, connect it to a good dac and most of the work is done.
Don't make an unnecessary science out of it.😉✌️😉✌️

Jun 6, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #12,952 of 13,154
None at all if you mean the headphone cable.
The differences in cable sound make very little difference with planar headphones, so it is not worth investing money in them.
The influences are there but very minimal compared to a dynamic driver.
Roughly 2-3% minor adjustment in treble and midrange and a little less bass with a silver cable.

With a hybrid amplifier or tube amplifier you would have more to invest in a pair of tubes than in a cable.

Don't spend a lot of money on it, it's not worth it.
Cables for dac and amplifier as well as power cables have a better impact but there too the requirements are more relevant.
Shielded, with a good connection of the connectors and copper are completely sufficient.
An Rca or XLR cable is sufficient, and I wouldn't spend more than $100 for a power cable.
For power cables, the Isotek iritium or whatever it's called is very good and also sufficient.

Everything else is usury and snake oil.
You have a great amp, enjoy it, connect it to a good dac and most of the work is done.
Don't make an unnecessary science out of it.😉✌️😉✌️
thank you for the information. this will allow me to save money

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #12,953 of 13,154
I am using my LCD2 prefazor with original cable and convert the 6.4 into XLR 4-pin balanced... i though i get a good improvement, but not much from my balanced XLR HD600..
my friend lend me his cable, Forza Noir Hybrid HPC... my jaw dropped.. my LCD sound so much different it seems i am using different headphone.. the bass deeper, the treble goes to top.. the mid so thick and juicy... i never expect the cable can change so much... so yes.. it change as long your amp and dac up to the task..
i am using DIY PCM63 for DAC and Tube Amp 6l6 for headphone... your milage may vary but yes, a lot improvement from stock audeze cable if you using the right cable.. and XLR balanced always improve over normal jack..

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #12,954 of 13,154
The Forza Noir Hybrid HPC is excellent! It really delivers the 🎼 with my LCD-4 and LCD-X.

Jul 10, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #12,955 of 13,154
I am using my LCD2 prefazor with original cable and convert the 6.4 into XLR 4-pin balanced... i though i get a good improvement, but not much from my balanced XLR HD600..
my friend lend me his cable, Forza Noir Hybrid HPC... my jaw dropped.. my LCD sound so much different it seems i am using different headphone.. the bass deeper, the treble goes to top.. the mid so thick and juicy... i never expect the cable can change so much... so yes.. it change as long your amp and dac up to the task..
i am using DIY PCM63 for DAC and Tube Amp 6l6 for headphone... your milage may vary but yes, a lot improvement from stock audeze cable if you using the right cable.. and XLR balanced always improve over normal jack..
Yes. I had a high end Copper custom cable…totally different than stock.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #12,956 of 13,154
All of a sudden one driver died in my Audeze LCD2 original, bamboo (non fazor) for no apparent reason. Refurbishing with two new fazor drivers by Audeze would - including service cost, parts, freight, custom fees and VAT - cost me $670 (I recently also bought the new pads, 100 bucks). Too much to be defensible, located in Sweden.

So I thought I might take a chance to find a used driver, maybe it works, maybe not. Anyone out there with half a LCD2?

IMG_3025.jpg

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #12,957 of 13,154
That solution could work out, but the drivers are matched from Audeze. That’s why it’s so expensive, they change both.

Edit: Must say it was very expensive indeed. I newly got quoted $580 for two new LCD-3 drivers ink pads from Audeze US.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #12,958 of 13,154
All of a sudden one driver died in my Audeze LCD2 original, bamboo (non fazor) for no apparent reason. Refurbishing with two new fazor drivers by Audeze would - including service cost, parts, freight, custom fees and VAT - cost me $670 (I recently also bought the new pads, 100 bucks). Too much to be defensible, located in Sweden.

So I thought I might take a chance to find a used driver, maybe it works, maybe not. Anyone out there with half a LCD2?

You should absolutely change both drivers. If not you'd end up getting a mismatched pair, and then start having issues with tonal imbalances across the frequencies. No two headphones are exactly the same, and these minor deviations can be jarring for people with decent hearing.

The cost to get new drivers even at the higher price you're paying is still quite a discount next to a brand new unit, and your warranty is renewed for another 3 years on the drivers.

International shipping fees will always eat up a large portion of costs.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #12,959 of 13,154

IMG_3025.jpg
Might shop a new pair of LCD2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back