Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #12,106 of 13,140
See I always heard and was told that a beefy amp was required for the lcd’s. That a iphone didnt have enough power or control to handle them. (Or really any double magnet array planar). Shows I still have much to learn.

If someone listens with a small portable device and loves it, isn't into amps or doesn't have space thats fine. Put a couple good watts through them though out of a decent amp and it's next level and they really come to life.

May 1, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #12,107 of 13,140
LOL, you just forced me to pull them out of the box again (they were boxed up to transport elsewhere in my domain) to see if you were nuts cuz I've had these for several months (got them during the Audeze B-stock sale last year) and I had literally NEVER attempted that cuz I thought that would be extraordinarily silly but I swear this is the second time you've said that :joy:....

..and by golly, you are right, it was surprisingly decent out of this puny iPhone SE (the only iPhone I still possess still with headphone jack internally!).

Definitely not living to their potential but I thought it would sound like total garbage or not have enough volume at all by a mile, but funny that it's even listenable and enjoyable! :o2smile:
IMG_5372.JPG
Crazy isnt? I also had similar results with the HD650. The LCD runs better via the iphone, and quite a bit louder.

May 1, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #12,108 of 13,140
If someone listens with a small portable device and loves it, isn't into amps or doesn't have space thats fine. Put a couple good watts through them though out of a decent amp and it's next level and they really come to life.
I can definitely say if someone wants top sound minus a amp, the LCD-2 does damn well. I gotta have my amp tho. That tube sound and glow :L3000:

May 1, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #12,109 of 13,140
I listen to my 2F from my DAP pretty frequently, as it still sounds lovely despite only having 150 mW to work with. As with most headphones, an amp with cleaner power is better than one with more power.

20180716_130512.jpg

May 1, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #12,110 of 13,140
Oh my main listening will be on the little dot, however if Im feeling restless and need to move around good to know I can just hook em up direct and rock out!

Well, they didn't sound "great" to me on the iPhone, just definitely "good" enough for some quick, fun listening -- but evening meeting that "low" standard surprised me, as I thought they would sound completely lifeless, but the bass kicked my butt coming out of that puny iPhone SE headphone jack, it was hilariously great. :joy:

Also, now you're to "blame" for me ordering that on-sale $49 LCD cable with microphone literally just now after that test lol..... That sale was supposed to end yesterday at 11:59 PM Pacific Time, but somehow they either forget to remove the sale price or purposely decidedly to extend it for at least a day, because my card has already been charged and Audeze sent me the confirmation for the order already at the $49 price... thanks again haha! :D

May 1, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #12,111 of 13,140
I listen to my 2F from my DAP pretty frequently, as it still sounds lovely despite only having 150 mW to work with. As with most headphones, an amp with cleaner power is better than one with more power.

20180716_130512.jpg

Oooo, I love yours, those look like the ones with the aluminum cups, they're very beautiful, are they the AL-cup LCD-2's? I've almost considered buying another set of LCD-2 just to get that look, nutty, I know...

And yeah, definitely, they won't reach their potential even on your DAP, but using them a DAP was something I would have considered but an iPhone, that's just silly, but it was surprisingly enjoyable even though I know they are being rather substantially underpowered on an iPhone headphone out.

May 1, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #12,112 of 13,140
See I always heard and was told that a beefy amp was required for the lcd’s. That a iphone didnt have enough power or control to handle them. (Or really any double magnet array planar). Shows I still have much to learn.
That isn't strictly required until you get to LCD-3 and to an even greater extent, LCD-4 land. Those are much less sensitive. LCD-X plays shockingly loud, much louder than LCD-2 does, while out resolving it. It's a very interesting model, too.
Crazy isnt? I also had similar results with the HD650. The LCD runs better via the iphone, and quite a bit louder.
HD 650 always surprises me of how quietly it plays. I wouldn't personally run that out of a phone, but it technically does work lol

May 1, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #12,113 of 13,140
Well, they didn't sound "great" to me on the iPhone, just definitely "good" enough for some quick, fun listening -- but evening meeting that "low" standard surprised me, as I thought they would sound completely lifeless, but the bass kicked my butt coming out of that puny iPhone SE headphone jack, it was hilariously great. :joy:

Also, now you're to "blame" for me ordering that on-sale $49 LCD cable with microphone literally just now after that test lol..... That sale was supposed to end yesterday at 11:59 PM Pacific Time, but somehow they either forget to remove the sale price or purposely decidedly to extend it for at least a day, because my card has already been charged and Audeze sent me the confirmation for the order already at the $49 price... thanks again haha! :D
Hahahahaha Im such a good influence arnt I? 😈. Heheheheheh
yeah the bass from these cans no matter the source is a teeth rattling cranium cracker.

May 1, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #12,114 of 13,140
That isn't strictly required until you get to LCD-3 and to an even greater extent, LCD-4 land. Those are much less sensitive. LCD-X plays shockingly loud, much louder than LCD-2 does, while out resolving it. It's a very interesting model, too.
HD 650 always surprises me of how quietly it plays. I wouldn't personally run that out of a phone, but it technically does work lol
Lol yeah have to edge the volume up a bit too much unamped. Its hungry like the K-701.

May 1, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #12,115 of 13,140
Oooo, I love yours, those look like the ones with the aluminum cups, they're very beautiful, are they the AL-cup LCD-2's? I've almost considered buying another set of LCD-2 just to get that look, nutty, I know...

And yeah, definitely, they won't reach their potential even on your DAP, but using them a DAP was something I would have considered but an iPhone, that's just silly, but it was surprisingly enjoyable even though I know they are being rather substantially underpowered on an iPhone headphone out.

Yep, those are the aluminum cupped ones they made for Adorama. When I was in the market to buy them a few years ago, the only wood option I could find was bamboo and I didn't really care for it. I don't think it's crazy to buy a second one at all. I've been tempted to buy one of the shedua ones, just because they are so beautiful.

As it turns out though, my 2F is a wonderful visual (and sonic) complement to my EL-8 Ti.

20200501_134548.jpg

May 1, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #12,116 of 13,140
Yep, those are the aluminum cupped ones they made for Adorama. When I was in the market to buy them a few years ago, the only wood option I could find was bamboo and I didn't really care for it. I don't think it's crazy to buy a second one at all. I've been tempted to buy one of the shedua ones, just because they are so beautiful.

As it turns out though, my 2F is a wonderful visual (and sonic) complement to my EL-8 Ti.

The shedua is gorgeous, much more so than the pics on the website showed. Shedua was the only option available when I bought mine.
AE3728B8-B26E-4382-861B-A6133A8D0AD2.jpeg
T
The iphone drives the headphones better than it can focus on them with the camera 🙄
They put a nice thick glassy layer of lacquer on the wood, nicely protected, even thicker than the lacquer layer I put on my arrows.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #12,117 of 13,140
The shedua is gorgeous, much more so than the pics on the website showed. Shedua was the only option available when I bought mine. AE3728B8-B26E-4382-861B-A6133A8D0AD2.jpegT
The iphone drives the headphones better than it can focus on them with the camera 🙄
They put a nice thick glassy layer of lacquer on the wood, nicely protected, even thicker than the lacquer layer I put on my arrows.
Yeah if I sell my 2018 bamboo I'm definitely getting a shedua. Looks like you got the brand new '20 metal mesh outer grille. I quite like that recent change

May 1, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #12,119 of 13,140
Many people assume the LCD2s are not very efficient. This is not entirely correct. Typically the Planar headphones were not as efficient as dynamic drivers and many of the amplifiers available at that point were also not as beefy.
From the very beginning, we used to post efficiency numbers measured at Drum reference point (DRP).
EEP.png
When Oppo PM1 was announced. The numbers in the specifications were 3 dB higher than what we measured and we looked closer and realized they were posting efficiency numbers measured at ERP. The microphone was closer to the driver and the efficiency numbers were measured at ERP. Oppo clearly stated this, but many people including reviewers (eg - Absolute sound) did not realize the difference.
LCD-2.png

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
May 1, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #12,120 of 13,140

Ugh, now it's your fault that I will have to buy an LCD-X within the next 12 moths, damn you, Metal. :yum:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back